Why don't more BITOGers use Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using QSGB in my old Camry, no problems
smile.gif

I may use QSUD in the future.

QSGB is a really nice oil for the price. I think anyone looking to save a couple bucks won't go wrong with it or MS5k.

As long as the price is good quaker state will continue to grow when the price goes up there are other choices that are just as good. I remember when motorcraft used to fly off the shelves then their price went way up and it does not seem to sell as much. I know i stopped buying it when the price shot up.
My bulk is great oil for the price and i would use it in my own cars and trucks but we need the space at the shop and i use my own driveway to do most of my own service

I'm gonna try QSUD for my next OC. AA has a deal right now where you get a gallon of QSUD and a Drive Works filter for $20 but that can be upgraded to a P1 for $2 more. Gonna snag two of those deals as my Trailblazer takes 7qts.

QSUD does exceptionally well in my 99 Ram, and experimenting with a longer OCI this time (6K instead of my usual 4K or so) should prove interesting. Price point is just right, though I might get a wild hair and decide to throw some PYB in the sump at some point, just to see if there's much of a difference...

I've used QSGB & QSUD in my Silverado quite a few times thru the years, & will use it again. QS is a good, quality oil.

Back when Quaker State made "TorquePower" synthetic, I used it in my Saturn ION. It didn't seem any better or worse than other oils. It was a real bargain at Big Lots.

I worked with some old guys who thought I was crazy to use Quaker State oils. I pointed to the API label and said "How could an oil earn this approval, and not cause sludge when changed on time." The guys didn't argue with my point. Those were the same kind of old guys who would call it "Quaker sludge." They also would say that Pennzoil was bad too.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
How are the cleaning properties of QSUD compared to that of PP?

I think QS does not clean as well as PP(imo)but if you start with a clean engine it will keep it that way. QS seems to be a more"durable" oil while PP is geared more toward the cleaning of a dirty engine. That said they are both more than enough for the average oci.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
How are the cleaning properties of QSUD compared to that of PP?

The biggest difference between the two is that the latter is marketed as a cleaning oil whereas the former is not. With respect to actual properties, the difference would be negligible.

Perhaps the minor noise reducing properties of Quaker State is why Hyundai "recommends" it in their noisy GDI engines.

Last edited:
So which additive in the QS line of oils is responsible for keeping the engines so quiet? I've seen quite a few people on BITOG, this thread and other forums that claim it really quiets down your engine. If it's Boron, then Mobil Super Synthetic has a ton of that and may be better?

I just bought a bunch QSUD because of the 300k warranty for your engine that requires ONLY OEM change intervals, plus the $$ payout they'll give you if your car reaches 300k. Additionally, the 50cents off per gallon of Shell gas for each 5 quart jug purchased doesn't hurt. With the 20 gal max limit that's 10 bucks off per jug for me. I'm interested in the noise reducing qualities. Also, the VI is better for QSUD than Mobil 1

I think PU is 500k. For price point QSUD cant be beat. I am a fan of QS Defy, but I dont see myself leaving the PP/PU line anytime soon. But I saw the pqi rating and noack was under 10% and it mirrored PP quite close. After I get to 400k, I most likely will throw a qt or two in with PU to save a couple of bucks. Then again if PP/ PU GTL get me that far I probably just stay with it. Make no mistake, QSUD 5w30 is a awesome under the radar sleeper oil.

Do you know anyone that has actually got them to pay for a new engine? I don't and thats all we do is rebuild engines. Im just asking i am not saying anything about quaker state i happen to like the qsud when the price is right

I use QSUD 5w30 in my Yaris, mostly because a local home improvement chain, Menards, will run a sale concurrently with a manufacturer's rebate every few months, ends up being around $3/qt or less. I believe Menards has some deal with QS, since one of the Menards drives the QS car. Meets all the highest manufacturer's specs, has good VOAs and UOAs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back