Why does Honda insist on using timing belts instead of chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96’ Jeep had to have the chain replaced about 6-7 years ago as it stretched and caused a misfire CEL. I think around 120k-130k miles.

My Camry’s timing belt broke 2 years ago, just a little past it’s replacement interval. It’s non-interference so no engine damage, and cheap to replace. For that car it doesn’t bother me. If I keep it long enough, I’ll let it break again. I won’t plan to replace it.

I don’t think I’ll buy another timing belt car again though.
It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if the engines that use a belt were exclusively non-interference types. Then you could just run the belt as long as you want, with only the risk of the engine quitting. Unfortunately, Honda's TB engines are all interference engines...

That's one thing they never tell you when you buy a car with a timing belt, $$$ repairs.
No days aren't they mostly chains ?

We used to drive a 1982 Volvo DL. The two door coupe. 4 speed manual with overdrive. 4 cylinder OHC motor. My wife's and my first brand new car. IPD springs, Bilstein, those ubiquitous 5 spoke alloy Volvo wheels of the era. We loved that thing and put 200K miles on it. Aside from a clutch that car was FLAWLESS.

I replaced the timing belt 2 or 3 times. There was lots of space to work which made the job easy. Doing the timing belt on a V6 Honda motor will much harder, guaranteed, just because of accessibility. The timing belt itself is not the hard part. Getting to it is.

Scott

It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if the engines that use a belt were exclusively non-interference types. Then you could just run the belt as long as you want, with only the risk of the engine quitting. Unfortunately, Honda's TB engines are all interference engines...
That and how difficult it is to replace depending on the car, makes it more expensive. On my Camry, I paid my mechanic $475 so it wasn’t too bad, not too o or intensive on this 4 cylinder.

I prefer chains over belts but it comes with a HUGE qualifier. Quality chains! IIRC there was a series of GM engines that had issues with chains. Issues traced back to inferior quality chains used. I'm sure GM was not the only one but it is the manufacturer I remember.

I though GM’s problem was using plastic coated gear teeth to reduce noise. The coating would wear away and it would get really sloppy.

In my last 7-8 years as a tech, I've seen only a couple belt failures that were driven double their life expectancy, and we see one or two jumped/stretched chains a month. Usually the result of lazy owners not checking the oil level / infrequent oil changes. Honda K motors don't like dirty oil.
I don't know where you're hearing about all of these chain failures, but I haven't heard anything of the sort. In fact, most of what I hear is just the opposite. If only all vehicles that had belts were as easy to replace as your VW was, that would be one thing, but unfortunately, most vehicles are way more difficult and time consuming...

We used to drive a 1982 Volvo DL. The two door coupe. 4 speed manual with overdrive. 4 cylinder OHC motor. My wife's and my first brand new car. IPD springs, Bilstein, those ubiquitous 5 spoke alloy Volvo wheels of the era. We loved that thing and put 200K miles on it. Aside from a clutch that car was FLAWLESS.

I replaced the timing belt 2 or 3 times. There was lots of space to work which made the job easy. Doing the timing belt on a V6 Honda motor will much harder, guaranteed, just because of accessibility. The timing belt itself is not the hard part. Getting to it is.

Scott
I can change a Honda V6 timing belt and tensioner in under 2 hours, add 20 minutes-ish for water pump and idler etc

Who in their right mind is going to just run a maintenance item as long as they want? That’s great, just run until you’re stranded on the side of the road. Blame the vehicle or automaker for making unreliable vehicles Or expecting people to pay to keep them up…

I fundamentally agree that ideally TB engines should be non interference so no damage can be done. But statistically the risks are low I guess.

Last edited:
watch this video on an Audi A8, this more than any other reason displays why a belt is superior to a chain.

the repair cost often exceeds the residual value of the car, sometimes in exponential means

That's on Audi for putting the chain on the backside of the motor. It would have sucked just as bad if they put a belt in that location.

My Corolla has 423K miles on the original chain...tell me how belts are better...
Most timing chains or rather chain guides and tensioners will not last that long without eventual component replacement along the way. Other than that your Corolla has the bestest engine evahr you also have gotten lucky.

Chain or belt does not matter to me. Replacing chain guides, tensioners, and the chain is more involved than more service-friendly belt replacement. I believe the chances of a belt skipping a tooth are higher than the chances of a chain skipping a tooth. The chain requires paying attention to abnormal death rattle sounds, the belt requires regular visual inspection and proper tension has also to be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back