Why does Honda insist on using timing belts instead of chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less NVH?

How much of Honda’s target audience, the sort buying new cars, care? I’d wager its a minority that will need to do this twice, maybe even once would be in the minority.

Reactions: hrv
Are the newer Honda's using belts? Are these belts oil lubricated? This is a confusing thread.
I prefer the no maintenance associated with a chain.

I prefer chains over belts but it comes with a HUGE qualifier. Quality chains! IIRC there was a series of GM engines that had issues with chains. Issues traced back to inferior quality chains used. I'm sure GM was not the only one but it is the manufacturer I remember.

When I had the head off DIL's '99 CRV, I re-used the TB that had about 20k miles on. My son drove the Honda another 70K into the crusher TB interval on M 20 was 60K/4yrs. But the kit cost 35$ and took an afternoon to R+R. Timing chains stretch as they wear, affecting timing and noise level.

I've never heard of belts having problems, I've heard of people going 20 years and 250k miles on OE Toyota belts, not that I recommend that, but how many cars out there with timing chains have problems with eating guides or failing tensioners or other problems, other than it being kind of a nuisance timing belts are generally more reliable than chain systems, result in less parasitic loss, and are quieter.

I've never heard of belts having problems, I've heard of people going 20 years and 250k miles on OE Toyota belts, not that I recommend that, but how many cars out there with timing chains have problems with eating guides or failing tensioners or other problems, other than it being kind of a nuisance timing belts are generally more reliable than chain systems, result in less parasitic loss, and are quieter.
I could see doing on a non-interference engine, but the Honda engines ARE interference engines...if the belt goes, so does the engine...like I said, my Corolla is still on the original chain at 423K miles...let's see a belt do that...

I'd be interested in hearing why people think roller chains are supposedly superior? How is driving a camshaft different than driving the rear wheel on a motorcycle? Harley went to slotted drive belts back in the 80's, and never looked back. They're smoother, quieter, don't stretch as bad, and have no need for lubrication. And many would argue they are actually stronger.

If they wanted a truly superior system, they would have to go to a completely gear driven drive system, like Formula 1 engines do. But that would be prohibitively expensive.

I'd be interested in hearing why people think roller chains are supposedly superior? How is driving a camshaft different than driving the rear wheel on a motorcycle? Harley went to slotted drive belts back in the 80's, and never looked back. They're smoother, quieter, don't stretch as bad, and have no need for lubrication. And many would argue they are actually stronger.

If they wanted a truly superior system, they would have to go to a completely gear driven drive system, like Formula 1 engines do. But that would be prohibitively expensive.
Because in the vast majority of cases chains never need to be replaced. Belts always do. It's not rocket science...

I have always preferred chains. But now with DI, and the associated soot, and fuel dilution, I wonder if belts might be a better option for DI engines.
I don't know, but it's worth discussion.
I'd prefer a belt if they made them easy to get to, but the problem is in a lot of FWD cars servicing a belt becomes about as much of an undertaking as servicing a chain, now on the other hand if my 4.2L Straight 6 in my Trailblazer had a belt, they probably would've made the oil pan shorter, they wouldn't have put some of the timing cover bolts where the oil pan has to be removed to remove them and you'd probably be able to change the belt in the car pretty easy after removing the accessory drive. Now in practice my mom's 2008 Odyssey with a J series Honda motor you have to take apart most of the engine bay to get to the serpentine belt to remove the accessory drive to even be able to get into the timing cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back