why do you guys stash oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be a good thread. I was wondering why you guys stock up on oil everytime you they have a sale? Is this just a hobby? I personally buy my oil whenever it comes time to change it so that way I have the maintenance records. I guess if you trade your vehicle in then maintenance records don't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought Castrol Syntec, Castrol Edge, M1 and M1 TDT for .98/QT on clearance. wait if you want, but with 6 cars I change a lot of oil, combined crankcase capacity of 36 QTs, so I am changing at least that much per year (often far more depending on miles driven)...and I am saving nearly $7/QT on oil...do the math...that's worth some shelf space...

Last edited:
My thinking is when you decide to sell your vehicle there aren't going to be any maintenance records to show the buyer so you would be taking a big hit on the price.

It seems to be a repetitive compulsive behavior that is soon acquired after joining BITOG.

It's probably a bad idea to covet oil in quantities and it leads to over servicing the engine with dated oil.

I'm sure there are pills that can be subscribed to help cope with the hoarding.

Nothing I change the oil on is under warranty, so I'm not concerned with that. I buy oil and filters when there's a rebate or clearance, so I pay very little or nothing for them.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
My thinking is when you decide to sell your vehicle there aren't going to be any maintenance records to show the buyer so you would be taking a big hit on the price.

Sell a vehicle? I haven't done that in a while.

I purchase my oil online by the case.

Some might find a GREAT price....say, on closeout someplace, etc.

Another reason.....for some might be that they are stashing SM oil because they don't trust the new SN oil that is coming out now.

Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
It seems to be a repetitive compulsive behavior that is soon acquired after joining BITOG.

It's probably a bad idea to covet oil in quantities and it leads to over servicing the engine with dated oil.

I'm sure there are pills that can be subscribed to help cope with the hoarding.

Yeah, I need a subscription (prescription?) cuz that's exactly what has happened since I joined BITOG.

I guess by the time your typical BITOG sells a vehicle it's not worth anything anyways since it probably lasted beyond it's expected lifespan.

It's simple supply and demand. BITOG stashes are the reason that oil prices are going up so quickly.
35.gif

Last edited:
I perform lots of Oil Changes for Family, Neighbors and Friends. Some people have been burned too many times with being charged for oil changes that have not been done, bulk oil that burns a quart every 500 miles, being charged premium prices for inferior products or paying for a Premium Synthetic and receiving some bulk oil that is not to be used in automobiles.

No wonder some of these quick lube places want people to come back every 3K miles....they know that the oil is inferior and has to come out before the engine is toast.

When I see a sale on a great oil synthetic or Dino, store brand oil that has a great rep via VOA, or Diesel Synthetic/Dino oils I stock up. The same goes for quality oil filters like Bosch, Purolator, NAPA and M 1. I keep a good supply on hand.

I have a load of oil/filters in my stash that I mostly bought on clearance or on sale with nice rebates so the oil and filters that I have....are a real bargain.

Look for clearance specials with rebates at stores like Kmart. I loaded up with M 1, SM and SN, Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology in SM and SN, Castrol Edge in the Gold Jug, SM and Valvoline Synpower....all synthetics, all in gallons for $15 or less before any rebates....if offered.

Dino oils in PYB, Valvoline, Castrol, Castrol Tection Dino Diesel, Castrol GTX, SL, 15W-40 for $9 or less a gallon....and after rebates and sale prices...all for less than $1.25 a quart.

All these Dino oils currently have $7 rebates for 5 or more quarts.

When you see a great sale....load up....prices will not be low all the time.

If I know that in any given year, I'll go through ~70 quarts of oil and 15 filters on our five cars, why wouldn't I spend a little now on cheap after MIR oil and filters?
There have been some great deals available in the past ten months on both oil and oil filters.
If you know you're going to use the stuff, why not load up when it's cheap?
An oil stash grows when prices are low, and it shrinks when prices are high.

I buy in advance to save money on the oil I like. Same with filters. I save the receipts and I keep a diary of each change for all 3 cars. I once had a Chevy engine go bad in the early 90's. They tore it down, and they covered the repair. I asked the writer if they needed my records and he said no because "You could have eaten off the inside of the engine. It's obvious you kept it up." They gave me a new engine. I keep my cars at least 10 years. By the time I sell them, oil change receipts aren't an issue. The log is usually enough.

Last edited:
If you're going to sell a vehicle, to a individual, and they want to know if the oil has been changed timely......just show them your stash of oil and filters and offer to sell them some of the filters that you have used on the vehicle for sale.

Once they see your stash, of oil and filters, I doubt there will be any more questions about the frequency of oil changes with quality oil and filter products.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Sell a vehicle? I haven't done that in a while.

My oil stash is on the Walymart shelf. I want the oil I decide and am willing to pay the Walmart 5 QT jug price. I do stock up a bit on filters, ATF and gear oil as I order that from Amsoil and want a reasonable shipping cost.

I have only one vehicle and keep about two oil changes & filters ahead. I do try to hit the sales at WM. I see not sense in and it is not my hobby to stock pile oil which may become obsolute in two years or I may change vehicles that require a different wt or clasification. Now wine is a different story. :))

Originally Posted By: wiswind
I purchase my oil online by the case.

Some might find a GREAT price....say, on closeout someplace, etc.

Another reason.....for some might be that they are stashing SM oil because they don't trust the new SN oil that is coming out now.

I bought Castrol Edge gold SM because the Castrol Titanium Film Strength Technology oil has inferior cold flow properties, not because o9f additive changes, like some posters here.

Anyway, I stashed some RP oil filters because I was afraid there were not going to be any more.

Also, I stocked up on oil for other cars because of great sales. A few years ago, AAP was selling Valvoline Synpower at $2.55 per quart, so I bought 20 quarts. They were also selling synthetic Quaker State 5w20 for $2 per quart, so I loaded up. At one point, corporate owned Carquest stores were discontinuing Royal Purple synthetics. I paid $4 per quart for loads of 5w20, and loaded up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back