why do you guys stash oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason is when there is a good sale on the brands I like. Why pay more when you don't have to. I'm through my stash now, down to the last Litre bottle. Time to stock up when the sales are on.

I stock up for cost reasons and so i always have 1 oci on hand...

And as for the no maintenance records, when the buyer comes into my garage, sees over 50 quarts of quality oil and 15 filters for the cars inside, the snap on tool box/shelf, the spotless engine bay and amount of new parts inside, there should be no question of how well it was maintained. I know I wouldn't ask or worry after seeing all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stock up when I see sales. 25qt of M1 0w40 SN and 5 M1 filters for around $140 when normal price is around $270 before tax. Its enough oil to last me 2.5 to 3 years

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I'm trying to replicate the oil shopping experience in my garage.

Good one!
grin.gif

I don't. I don't even have a single OCI worth of oil, or filter, in my garage right now. Actually that's not entirely true. I have a 5qt jug of QS Conventional that I accidentally bought instead of UD. Don't have a vehicle I can use it in, so I figure I'll keep it around and use it in the lawnmower and snowblower or something.

I generally only buy oil and filters as they are needed.

Last edited:
The main reason I do is because some little Irish man keeps shouting "THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY" then slaps me in the back with a dipstick, and to this day I have no idea who Jimmy is or why he keeps hitting me, but the more oil I have stashed, the less he comes around....
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
The main reason I do is because some little Irish man keeps shouting "THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY" then slaps me in the back with a dipstick, and to this day I have no idea who Jimmy is or why he keeps hitting me, but the more oil I have stashed, the less he comes around....
wink.gif

Wow man, Sux to be you.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
wink.gif

+1 I loved that commercial.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
My thinking is when you decide to sell your vehicle there aren't going to be any maintenance records to show the buyer so you would be taking a big hit on the price.

How so? I stash oil and keep very detailed maintenance records? I have proof I bought the oil and filters too. Only I buy when things are on sale, and if I double or triple up, or find a close out, I keep the invoices. Also anyone who sees one of my vehicles knows it was well maintained, the maint' log is icing on the cake. I've sold a lot of my own vehicles over the years and never ran into problem. I was always able to get top dollar, and never traded in a car. I'm sure many of the oil stashers on the site have similar experiences. JMO

I've been stashing oil and filters since the 1970's that habit has saved me plenty of time and money over the years.

I agree 100 percent. Especially with the saving time. It sure makes life a lot easier when an oil change is due to just walk out to the garage and grab a filter and oil than it is to go fight the crowds at Wallymart or the local auto parts store.
Personally I try to have enough on hand for at least 2 oil changes on each vehicle. If it's on sale - why not stock up? A penny saved . . .

I have a 7.3 Powerstroke. With a 15 Qt. sump, if I can find older (CI-4) Castol 15W-40 @ $1.00/qt. vs. $3.89/qt. for new (CJ-4) oil, I come out $43.35 for an oil change. The oil must be changed @ 5K miles because of the shearing from the injection system. For two oil changes in a year, it's a free tank of fuel.
I found LubroMoly 10W-40 MoS2 oil for $.05/5liter at an AAP store. They wanted to get rid of it pretty badly, it seems. It is the current spec for my 2001 VW TDI. So, I get 8 oil changes for $.40 vs. buying M1 0W-40 40 qts @ $8+/qt. ($320+).
So in my particular case; I know my costs and could see a nice payback in a foreseeable time.

I only stash oil when I get such a great deal that I know I won't get that deal again for a long time. Also, with oil prices the way they are trending, stashing oil makes sense as long as you aren't stashing more than 5 years worth.

Originally Posted By: VRAY
Because 95% of the people on here are anal retentive and ocd.They also count slices of bread on each loaf.

LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL SO TRUE !!

I can't BELIEVE some people stashing 50-100 quarts of oil... that's insane!! But if you have 3-4+ cars then I suppose it makes sense...

I take care of a Forester and a Camry...

Why do I stash oil?? Mainly offers/price. I just loaded up on 20qts of GC because there's a $7 rebate on 5qts (2 rebates for me, two for the GF).

Same with filters, I have more filters than oil... must have 20 or so filters (PureOne and Bosch Distance Plus).

4 rebates per person for Bosch + Purolator, so 2 people = 16 filters...

I also agree with the fact that when I feel like doing the oil change I already have the oil in my tool closet, and don't have to go out and buy it hoping that it's going to be on sale...

BY the way, I'm a big fan of SlickDeals.net. One of the users over there, dttruax, updates oil change deals on a monthly basis (updated yesterday, 29-Oct-2011)

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1532155

ENJOY :) Bitog kick A$$ !!

Because I've saved enough money on oil to BUY ANOTHER TRUCK! I still have enough Delo 400 SAE 30 left to keep the 6.2 & 7.3 IDI trucks running for another 3-4 years-my first BITOG score, gallons @ AZ for 99 cents to ONE CENT each! Too many FAR synthetic oil scores since then to count!

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I'm trying to replicate the oil shopping experience in my garage.

This is more true than funny.
What should I use next?
If you build a stash, you do get to shop your own garage.

3 cars. I try to have about 15-20 quarts (3-4 jugs) of oil and I buy oil filters in bulk to save 50% on those and get nice WIX or Purolators.

Who here has the Biggest Stash? Ive got well over 100 CASES of Amsoil, 3 or 4 cases of Royal Purple, 20 or so 6 quart cases of Mobil 1, and well over 100 Loose quarts of various brands and weights. Anyone top that?

Hmmm. Currently: 105 gallons of various types and weights.

A good friend of mine delivers bulk oil to shops and I get to empty out the drums on the weekends.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back