why do you guys stash oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X ummmm... 20 or 30. I also stock up as much as i can when there's a great sale going on. Why wouldn't you? Do you enjoy paying retail prices for the same oil that we all bought a month ago @ 60% off?
lol.gif

You're going to use that oil at one time or another so might as well buy it when it's cheap.

Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
It seems to be a repetitive compulsive behavior that is soon acquired after joining BITOG.

Never felt a compulsion to stash oil. No need to do it.

Price.

When Trop-Arctic Semi-syn was $1.79 qt. I bought every case of 5W30 they had

When SM Quaker State syn was $1.99 qt. I bought all the 5W30 again and a 6pack of the 10W30 for my OPE.

I'm just waiting for the next big thing. I had a chance at 5qt jugs of PYB for $12.50 because the merchandiser at WalMart goofed.
Should have bought it all.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
My thinking is when you decide to sell your vehicle there aren't going to be any maintenance records to show the buyer so you would be taking a big hit on the price.

When I'm through with a car, there is not much worth left to sell, plus if I do sell it and it lasted 15 years and still runs I must have taken decent care of it.
I stash it as I have four cars and 2 of them take about 6 quarts so I'm looking at 20 quarts with each change. Buying it and storing it saves money, it might not be on sale when I need it , but I will have some oil i bought on sale on the shelf until I find another sale. Economics, and it is a compulsive hobby to check oil prices every so often.

Last edited:
I just keep a log of the Oil Changes and Hold onto the receipts. Who says you have to buy the oil the day, week or even year you change the oil?

Whats wrong with buying M1 at $2.99 a Quart this month when you know you likely wont be able to get it for that 90 days from now when your next change is due.

Last edited:
It saves money and provides a shopper's high when I beat you guys to it. If you see me doing an end zone dance in the oil isle don't look in my cart. You don't want to know.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I do it for reasons of economy and because it is an interesting hobby. Besides, it drives my wife nuts.

+1

With 4 vehicles, I like to catch a sale/rebate and keep on hand some 40-50 qts of oil and plenty of filters. Especially when I can get the oils cheap! Or Free!

Just used up the PepBoys "FAR", PEAK oil and Proline filters(30qts/6 filters) a GREAT score! Now I am into the $1.49/qt Havoline DS(20+qts) and the $1.12/qt QSGB(20 qts). Still have 12+ qts of a variety of syn oils too(PP, QSTP, SynTech/Edge) in which I paid way under $2/qt each. Actually, I paid something like, .34 cents a qt for the PP which was on sale, and I had store coupons and MFG rebates. This was another GREAT score!

I have also taken advantage of PepBoys FAR Purolator Classic filter(limit 4) and just got my $12 rebate Metal Wars Rebate for my PureOnes(limit 4). These PureOnes were on sale @AAP online for $5 and I used a discount code which neted me after postage...$168/filter for PureOnes...Another GREAT score!

Last edited:
I don't stash, figure my kids don't really want(insert number)cases of oil when I die...

I Dream that some Day, I will win the Lotto, and be able to buy All the Bad [censored] Jeeps, Cars, Trucks, MotorCycles, Lawnmowers, WeedWackers, Riding Lawn Mowers, RottoTillers, Boats, Planes, Snowblowers(with Hand warmers, Honda comes to mind with a Bright headlight) and whatever other Internal Combustion engine powered contraption I so Desire. And when you got a Buzz goin, You shouldnt drive to get Oil, Filters, etc. So I stock up on what I will need, and have it right here at home. Some day Ill show pictures. Just made a Run to Portland last week, $2500 worth to and, which makes the Grand total worth around $10,000.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
There Definately is a High associated with Oil stashes, and the Making of them Bigger.

Ya know, when I first discovered BITOG, I have to admit that I started buying oil cheap and lots of it. Probably to the point that I had some 80-100 qts of oil all purchaced on closeout. And this was the first time I had ever purchaced synthetic oil. When the ILSAC changed from SJ to SL, I found that AutoZone was giving the stuff away. I bought Mobil 1 for the first time and GC and Havoline syn(~40qt syn) and another 40 + qts of different dino oils along with some HDEO's.

Now, I keep the stash to around 40 + qts between dino and syn including a bunch of straggler qts(different brands/wgts).

I stashed long before BITOG, since we've always had at least three cars on the road, and way back when, I did 3K changes.
Since joining BITOG, I've found the deals forum a great guide to what's out there on a deal, so I've expanded my stash.
I now use mostly syn oil, and change it every 5-6K.
We also now have five cars on the road with oil needing to be changed.
I would likely not have known of the MIR deals on G-Oil, PU, QSUD, Synpower and Maxlife were it not for this site, nor would I have likely seen the MIR deals on Puro classic, P1 or D+ oil filters.

Because when there's a hot sale and the oil isnt going to go bad anytime soon you stock up like you would with anything at a good sale price you really like. I love Pepsi so when its $5 for a 24pk at walmart I load the cart and buy as many boxes I can. Same as oil. It will get used eventually.

I have two subarus and a volvo and i've been finding that they all take GC very well.

Autozone regularly has oil change specials so whenever they do, I stock up on GC. I only have 15 qts right now but hoping to get the stockpile up since when it's on sale I can get it for about $4.4/qt

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
My thinking is when you decide to sell your vehicle there aren't going to be any maintenance records to show the buyer so you would be taking a big hit on the price.

How so? I stash oil and keep very detailed maintenance records? I have proof I bought the oil and filters too. Only I buy when things are on sale, and if I double or triple up, or find a close out, I keep the invoices. Also anyone who sees one of my vehicles knows it was well maintained, the maint' log is icing on the cake. I've sold a lot of my own vehicles over the years and never ran into problem. I was always able to get top dollar, and never traded in a car. I'm sure many of the oil stashers on the site have similar experiences. JMO

I've been stashing oil and filters since the 1970's that habit has saved me plenty of time and money over the years.

Because 95% of the people on here are anal retentive and ocd.They also count slices of bread on each loaf.

Quote:
why do you guys stash oil?

Why not?

In my household we stash many things like diapers, toilet paper, canned food, beauty supplies, etc. All these things were purchased at a substantial discount, they don't expire or have a very long expiration date and I don't have to make runs to the store because we're out of toilet paper or some other item that is used every day. These items are kept in the basement so they don't clutter our living space and are available to us all the time.

It's a win, win situation in my book.

I acutally do not normally stash oil. my first time--ever-- was only recently, it was a single OCI amount and that's because it went on sale for a tiny amount. Infact I gave away my PF-48 filters I had stashed in fear of them transistioning to E-cores to one of my friends with a G8. I'm just not that concerned over the amount I suppose, and it's not as if any of my cars need some exotice oils. part of the good-feeling is buying fresh bottles I suppose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back