Why do you frequently change brands of oil?

I only switched to super tech do to price when I was close to a NAPA AUTO and they ran the 18.99/5 qt sale I was loyal for years. Haven’t seen that sale in a while also haven’t looked since Walmart is 5 minutes from my home.

To be truly honest…I like to see different color bottles on the shelf sometimes. Used to use QS and got tired of green. Loaded up on RGT during all the clearances and got tired of red after it disappeared. Then Pennzoil, but it was noisy. Valvoline because I heard rave things about maxlife. Then Mobil1 just because I had never ran it before. I’ve read countless threads and UOA’s only to learn they’re all good for the most part in my applications and I always change at 5k because I like to do it so I just change for random irrational reasons. It’s fun. Stayed on super tech for a while most recently but with the price jump bringing it to name brand oil prices, I’m back to just picking up whatever bottle looks neat to me at the time in Walmart or rural king.

To be truly honest…I like to see different color bottles on the shelf sometimes. Used to use QS and got tired of green. Loaded up on RGT during all the clearances and got tired of red after it disappeared. Then Pennzoil, but it was noisy. Valvoline because I heard rave things about maxlife. Then Mobil1 just because I had never ran it before. I’ve read countless threads and UOA’s only to learn they’re all good for the most part in my applications and I always change at 5k because I like to do it so I just change for random irrational reasons. It’s fun. Stayed on super tech for a while most recently but with the price jump bringing it to name brand oil prices, I’m back to just picking up whatever bottle looks neat to me at the time in Walmart or rural king.
You know what? I feel like I’m pretty similar. Went looking for deals...loaded up on Rotella Gas Truck (is there a worse looking bottle in the entire industry? It’s not just the red, it’s the generic picture of a truck towing, just awful).

Try different brands. All the UOA’s I see lately look like everything does a decent job. Looking at VOA’s it seems like most oil are relatively similar now, unless you go with a boutique oil. And have read/watched, all the tests and comparisons to the Amsoil/redline vs Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil1 EP, and all the off the shelf stuff...and the tests are won by the boutiques (usually), but by such a close margin it doesn’t seem worth the extra money. And I keep my intervals relatively short anyway (5,000 miles), but I am trying a longer run right now using Pennzoil Platinum.

Changing oil is fun for me, it’s therapeutic. Changing brands in some way is fun too.

I recall reading on occasion here that changing brands from time to time might be a good idea. No scientific data just people thinking that changes in ad packs, base stock chemistry, etc. might do some additional cleaning. I try to stick with a brand until I find the formulation might have been tweaked and the resident experts here feel the tweak cheapened the product or might have made it worse.

I like the looks of the new 5 quart jug of Castrol Full Synthetic. When it first came out not long ago it was under $20 but now it’s $22 at Walmart. I want to try it out sometime. It’s a nice looking bottle.

CBC876C1-F839-4128-877B-EEE4F18B98B8.jpeg

Honestly brands reformulate often (Often multiple times a year) so what's the point of sticking to one constantly changing product. Might as well go with what's readily available at a reasonable price. Also company management often changes and with it philosophy and so the product direction may not align with your goals any more.

44 years ago I was persuaded to try M1 because of the extreme cold temps when I lived in Maine. That was several years before climate change decided to change. At 15-25 F below the dino Valvoline I used was terrible. Once I started using M1 5-20 the difference was amazing. No more lifter clatter, wayyy easier to start in cold temps, and received a slight uptic in MPG. I have stayed with M1 oils ever since with outstanding results.

44 years ago I was persuaded to try M1 because of the extreme cold temps when I lived in Maine. That was several years before climate change decided to change. At 15-25 F below the dino Valvoline I used was terrible. Once I started using M1 5-20 the difference was amazing. No more lifter clatter, wayyy easier to start in cold temps, and received a slight uptic in MPG. I have stayed with M1 oils ever since with outstanding results.

You probably saw that Time magazine cover with New York City buried under ice and decided you had better use a synthetic oil for when that day came.

Well, it was supposed to happen over 20 years ago but surprise, it didn’t. Anyway you made the switch and stuck with it.

I used to be a valvoline guy, not really sure why, but I used if from when I started changing my oil in the early 90's. When I go here in 2004, I started seeing other oils out there with good reviews, and then finding the deals forum, I just quit caring.

In my book, so long as it is a "good" oil (for me, that either a name brand manufacture or trusted store brand), price is the determining factor for the most part for me.

I just see no evidence that sticking with the same oil makes any bit of difference in engine life.

I change almost every OCI why because the only things that matter is that API seal and the best quality oil I can buy for under $20 a Jug! I got some RP that I ran last OCI I wasn't over impressed for $20. The Current Kirkland Full Synthetic I'm running is just fine and it cost about $12 a Jug on sale last spring! The Corolla still burns less than a half quart in an OCI with over 150K on it now. I don't see any reason to change the way I've done things!

I like to switch oil brands just because I like to try different oils and see how they differ.

Many people like to say "oil is oil", and I do agree with that. As long as you use good oil and keep the oci's reasonable, the engine will be protected.

But, there are subtle differences you can hear or even feel just from switching oil brands, especially with a car you've been driving for 12 years/100k miles, and also did oil changes by yourself the whole time.

I have a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. My car was originally spec'd to run 5w20, so I just use 0w20 or 5w20.

Based on my experience, my engine makes too much noise with Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and 5w20. I can not stand the ticking noise with Mobil 1. I'm sure Mobil 1 is protecting my engine, but I'm just not comfortable with hearing all the ticks and rattles under the hood with Mobil 1. So I don't use Mobil 1.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, Royal purple HPMO 0w20, and Amsoil SS 0w20 is what I like the best. Engine is absolutely silent with these oils, and the engine feels very free and smooth. These oils are on the thinner side of 20, but these oils just run phenomenal in my car. No engine noise and smooth as butter.

Back