Why do you frequently change brands of oil?

What is the spec that your oil exceeds? By how much and in what ways does it surpass or exceed that spec?
If you look at specs on bottle it will state it either meets spec or exceeds spec. Valvoline Advance Maxlife Synthetic exceeds spec and Napa meets spec is one example.

I was reading another thread earlier, and the OP noted that for the past five oil changes, a different oil was used for each change. OTOH, I've been using pretty much the same brand of oil for years. I started out with Red Line in 1984 and used it with excellent results in my two Mazdas until 1991 when I purchased a new Ranger. I met an engineer from an oil company and he suggested I try M1, and through a couple-three vehicles since then, that's what I've used.

Please understand that I'm not being judgemental, just curious. What motivates you to keep changing brands of oil for the same car over time?
I find an oil I like, then buy lots of it. I was a Redline guy for about 25 years, than 10 years of RP HPS. Now I like PUP. Bought 10 jugs for the next 70k miles. Next may be Amsoil, as I've had really good luck with their gear oils.

Because when I see a brand that slap it’s logo on fast cars it gets my hormones going!

Jokes aside, it’s just purchasing power tbh. Off the shelve synthetics are so similar that their advantages over the other is minuscule. So go ahead and enjoy.

Someone mentioned brand loyalty. Every one is a mercenary today. They’ll sell you out for a buck and could care less.

The only place it matters is in the delusional minds of those who suffer from BITOG psychosis. Within a particular spec/cert/reason - it makes NO difference if you use the same oil brand every time or a different oil brand every time.

Personally, I like to determine which oil I want to use and stick with it. For a long time I used Pennzoil. Then, when I learned on BITOG that they are producing the thinnest oil possible for a grade I decided to look further. I've settled on Mobil ESP 5W-30 because its HTHS is a minimum 3.5 and it's ACEA C3. I'll use it till it's no longer available.

Last edited:
Please explain how using different brands of oil is fun. I must be missing something as, regardless of the brand oil I use, I get no additional pleasure out of an oil change. Maybe I should have an oil change party, invite some friends, have some drinks, BBQ, and a garage band performing while the oil drains. That would be fun!
You might be surprised . Live a little ! :geek:

I try and stick with one brand of oil, but when the Bitog resident experts expose the oil has been tweaked and the tweaking has a negative impact I make the change. PU SM to SN comes to mind. They tweaked, and imo and the opinion of others they lowered the quality, as a result XOM got my business back.

I try different oils because something made me think it was better for the vehicle it was going in, or I have a specific issue I'm trying to address.

The Pentastar has been getting Castrol because it's one of the thickest approved oils for this engine that they went down a grade on.

The Vortec has been getting M1 because it was bought as a used replacement engine that needs a good cleaning out and M1 does in fact clean very well, at least in this engine.

The two Fords get Valvoline because I'm running one grade thicker in these two high mileage engines, and Valvoline is one of the thinnest oils so while I'm going up a viscosity I'm not going up a lot. Pennzoil is even thinner but I am not a fan.

Back