Why do you frequently change brands of oil?

Because I don't happen to have the other brand "Handy."
However, pricing, sales, rebates, clearances provide some other reasons, as well.

Brand loyalty is superstitious behavior at it’s very best. Brands aren’t even loyal to themselves.

Didn’t Exxon and Mobil merged in like ‘99? You know there was some diehard dudes back in early ‘90’s that were like “I would never buy that Exxon crap - it’s Mobil for life.” 10 yrs later it’s the same company.
Notice Exxon lubes went away even though they were the bigger company - that side of the business went to those running it already. The research center is alive and well + BMT remains the main source for M1 etc …
Unless someone was loyal to Exxon lubes - and a few industrial lubes moved over under new label.
Decent merger really … but more to do with LNG than PVL …

Used Valvoline almost exclusively before I came here, then I tried every conventional I could get at Wally in 5 qt jugs, then I started stressing out a month before my next OC trying to figure out what to use, finally a couple years ago I said screw it and went back to Valvoline.

Because I use whatever is cheapest, as long as it's decent oil with modern specs "oil's oil"
I did this many years ago when money was tight, bought whatever was cheapest. Still probably the best treated 2002 Kia Spectra on the road 😂.

Now I scoop up the 6qt cases of M1 from Costco when they're on sale. More than competitive price & 2% back with Executive Membership.

Past few months I've been browsing the Deals forum here & hopped on the ~$2.97 Pennzoil & Scott towels deal. Next oil change will be that.

I typically grab Pennzoil but for the past 2-3 years, Walmart shelves have been pretty much bare, so I grab what ever is available in the grade I need. It's either the Pennzoil or Castrol.

Pure speculation, but I think the bare shelves are due to the local repair shops (other than the quick lube places) buy their oil stocks from Walmart rather than the wholesalers....it helps to increase their profit margin.

I don't usually frequently change brands, so I'm probably wrong here.
Used Shell, Mobil1, Aral (BP) in the past, however I currently use to use
Ravenol for engine oils and Castrol, Ravenol or BMW and Volkswagen
OE products for transmission oils. Why? I choose what I believe is best
for the application. I'm aware this seems to be a less popular opinion.

Couple reasons, most probably leading the way is price. Other than that, noise, oil consumption, “smooth”, what you read here, what you hear from others, what’s on sale, what’s on rebate, what’s available. It really is a strange phenomenon. And I guess it’s fun...the thought YOU SELECTED the right oil, at the right price...and it worked. It’s therapeutic. This whole thing...the whole site...the discussions, whatever. It’s vehicle metal therapy. And it’s good.

Because of price and curiosity, to see if i can find differences caused by thickness within the same grade, how much oil it burns, how quiet it runs, how clean it keeps the engine. The funny thing is, there's no difference at all in my engine the way i use it! Which confirms that i should shop for the cheapest oil that has the required approval.

FOMO.

This brand is what came from the factory! But this one has the best Noack! No, this one has more zinc! This one has cooler base stocks! 🤯

When I purchased my 2020 Outback in 2019 I said that I was going to stick with Idemitsu since that what they use at the factory and sell at the dealer. I'm currently on my fourth brand at 27k miles.

I would be brand loyal but when you buy a Euro oil spec vehicle things totally change. You can have 500 jugs in your hoard but none are now usable...changes the oil game.

I use Shell products because they pay my pension. It's good Karma.
My buddy, a Kodak retiree, bought Fuji products because they were less expensive, and was pretty vocal about it. See how that worked out.
I use a similar approach with most things. I buy from companies which buy from my company (ie, help keep food on my table.) I’ve stopped using products simply due to how I’ve been treated as a vendor. It’s not always practical to do this with everything though.

I use Shell products because they pay my pension. It's good Karma.
My buddy, a Kodak retiree, bought Fuji products because they were less expensive, and was pretty vocal about it. See how that worked out.
Frankly I lived in Japan for over three years and some of Fuji's film was better than Kodak. Even though Kodak was available in the PX for less!

I usually can't store oil so I buy one jug at a time. SuperTech syn(though it's getting hard to find) quite often unless Motomaster syn 5w20 is on sale.

The new Motomaster syn oil with the Shell branding here in Canada is good stuff. For $20 a jug on sale I prefer that to the $17 ST.

Back