Why do you frequently change brands of oil?

Please explain how using different brands of oil is fun. I must be missing something as, regardless of the brand oil I use, I get no additional pleasure out of an oil change. Maybe I should have an oil change party, invite some friends, have some drinks, BBQ, and a garage band performing while the oil drains. That would be fun!
Just don't lick you fingers with that used oil on them

I was reading another thread earlier, and the OP noted that for the past five oil changes, a different oil was used for each change. OTOH, I've been using pretty much the same brand of oil for years. I started out with Red Line in 1984 and used it with excellent results in my two Mazdas until 1991 when I purchased a new Ranger. I met an engineer from an oil company and he suggested I try M1, and through a couple-three vehicles since then, that's what I've used.

Please understand that I'm not being judgemental, just curious. What motivates you to keep changing brands of oil for the same car over time?
It doesn't really matter unless you are driving a racecar or some exotic finnicky vehicle. I've used all kinds of franken-mixes in my vehicles, let them sit for months on end with old oil, driven way beyond the recommended OCI, and proceeded to drive 100's of thousands of miles with no ill effects. You're more likely to have a sensor or something other than a lubricated engine component go bad because you didn't use the right brand of oil. As long as you get the API and weight right then you are fine.

Im more or less a Mobil loyalist, however.

I have enough Castrol to last the life of the loan on my new Honda and:

I have so much clearance oil for the Touareg that it doesn't make financial sense to run Mobil anymore.

I have run different oils based on others experiences but I honestly haven't noticed a difference. For instance, in my S4 I have run M1 0W-40, I think I ran 0W-30 once, Amsoil AFL and EFM, T6 and I ran Total once. I may have done the German Castrol too but I honestly can't remember. It's been almost 22 years since I bought the car. I think I have AFL in there now but haven't had an oil change in probably two years or more. I don't drive the car. I did buy some M1 0W-40 from Costco a few years ago but it is just sitting in the closet.

My wife's CR-V has had all M1 from the dealer until the warranty ran out. I then ran M1 EP once and am on my second OCI with Amsoil SS. Going to probably move to Kirkland or something else that is relatively cheap in terms of money. I went with the Amsoil so I could do 1yr oil changes but honestly, I think I may go back to doing 2 per year on her car or when the MM gets low and use Kirkland.

Both my Subarus ran dealer provided oil twice each and are now running M1 EP. M1 with the rollback pricing and rebate works out to be a great price.

With 4 cars to take care of, less money is better at this point. It's not like any of my cars except the S4 are performance cars. ****, my Impreza can't get out of its own way sometimes.

For a street driven vehicle I get different brands. Heck almost any oil is acceptable because I'm not taxing the engine and other components.

For my off road vehicles it's a whole other story. I purchase only the best lubricants, coolants and brake fluids that offer protection from a broken case or other issues that require me to limp back to the truck in low oil or overheat conditions. When I was racing it was Motul only. Those products deliver albeit expensive. When your 4T engine only has an 800cc capacity or 2T you are relying on premix to lubricate then only the best will do.

Please explain how using different brands of oil is fun. I must be missing something as, regardless of the brand oil I use, I get no additional pleasure out of an oil change. Maybe I should have an oil change party, invite some friends, have some drinks, BBQ, and a garage band performing while the oil drains. That would be fun!
Compulsive desire to understand how things work. But on here like politics and religion everyone has a view. Kinda like fine wine for some or Snap-On tools. Personally Kobalt tools and beer for me. I learn a lot here.

Compulsive desire to understand how things work. But on here like politics and religion everyone has a view. Kinda like fine wine for some or Snap-On tools. Personally Kobalt tools and beer for me. I learn a lot here.
So it's not the act of changing the oil that's fun, rather, it's the different experiences and information that using different brands affords you ... would that be a reasonable understanding?

What have you done with the information you've accumulated over the years? Have you been doing this with a goal in mind, perhaps looking for an oil with certain characteristics or providing a specific result, such as not burning as much oil as another, or better mileage, etc. Or are you just changing oils for the adventure, just to see how different lubricants behave. Each scenario is certainly valid and a good reason to change.

How important is the price for you? Would you pay more for a jug of oil in order to better understand how things work?

Hypothetical: you're at the store looking for Oil A that you've heard about on BITOG and really want to try. But right next to it on the shelf is Oil B which is perfectly suitable in your engine, and it's $5.00 a jug cheaper. Do you opt to satisfy your curiosity, or do you keep $5.00 in your wallet?

Last edited:
I buy name brand oil on discount or on Clearance so different oil lately as it exceeds spec.
What is the spec that your oil exceeds? By how much and in what ways does it surpass or exceed that spec?

I don’t. I’ve used Valvoline for decades.
For the last 50+ yrs. :D
1642043956062.jpg

So it's not the act of changing the oil that's fun, rather, it's the different experiences and information that using different brands affords you ... would that be a reasonable understanding?

What have you done with the information you've accumulated over the years? Have you been doing this with a goal in mind, perhaps looking for an oil with certain characteristics or providing a specific result, such as not burning as much oil as another, or better mileage, etc. Or are you just changing oils for the adventure, just to see how different lubricants behave. Each scenario is certainly valid and a good reason to change.

How important is the price for you? Would you pay more for a jug of oil in order to better understand how things work?

Hypothetical: you're at the store looking for Oil A that you've heard about on BITOG and really want to try. But right next to it on the shelf is Oil B which is perfectly suitable in your engine, and it's $5.00 a jug cheaper. Do you opt to satisfy your curiosity, or do you keep $5.00 in your wallet?
No… I like crawling under the car. And like another said get a Fumoto valve. Any modern oil will work fine even Kirkland at 21 bucks for two jugs. However when I first bought my 2019 Miata I wanted to stay close to the high moly additive pack recipe. Mazda wants too much for their oil so first jug was Idemitsu Zepro with moly, pretty much identical to Mazda oil. After that Gokhan raved about TGMO and have been on that since. Been re thinking the TGMO. Kinda scared about the 227 VI and slightly bothered about the high Noack at 12.9 although not worried about the IVD, just seems I can upgrade the base oil from TGMO. And TGMO is getting expensive. Gokhan is a gem of info here along with Molakule. Ordered PUP 0w-20 for the next fill. ($24.97) I do worry about oil seals when I change oil brands but we will see. Thanks for asking…

Fun huh?

Last edited:
Back