Why Do People Hate On Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it necessarily people hating Pennzoil, some just don't prefer a particular brand. Many years ago, my Dad bought a couple of cases of 30w Quaker State for about 50 cents a quart. Times were hard, and he was looking to save money any way he could. Living on a farm, we had a lot of stuff to change oil in. Three engines fouled plugs very shortly after putting this oil in. We changed and cleaned plugs and put Gulfpride Multi-G back in, and no more problems. Read somewhere after that where lots of folks had complaints about some grades of QS oil then. Do I think Quaker State markets inferior oil today? no, I'm sure their oil is just as good as any one elses. Do I buy Quaker State oil? no, I haven't bought any in over 30 years. Even after all of that time, I just buy another brand.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
PP is definitly the best bang for the buck in the GRP-III Syn world as far as I'm concerned. (JMO)

In the PAO world I think Amsoil is. (JMO)

And in the POE world I think Redline would take the cake. (JMO)

JMO = Just my Opinon, no one get their nickers in a not and turn this into an M1 thread.
smirk2.gif

That is JMO as well.
grin2.gif

And I like Havoline in the Group II/II+ world.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Outside of BITOG I wouldn't hold too highly because it's mostly uneducated folk spreading old-wives tales and rhetoric

A lot of that INSIDE BITOG as well .
55.gif

It is hard to go back to something you had a problem with, even if it likely wasn't its fault. I had run Pennzoil for years, but in the late 80's had been tempted by the lower price for Caker State. With short trips, 6 month OCI's, and SF oil, I soon found a sludge problem. My brother told me that happens with QS, that he had problems with it in the 50's and his boss, the mechanic, told him he shouldn't have been using it. I switched back to Pennzoil and have stuck to it since. Is it fair for me to blame Quakers State or wise refuse to use it? Do you think I ever will?

Originally Posted By: chastn
I don't think it necessarily people hating Pennzoil, some just don't prefer a particular brand. Many years ago, my Dad bought a couple of cases of 30w Quaker State for about 50 cents a quart.

30 years ago was about the time Quaker State made some oil that gelled and ruined a few engines. They admitted it, recalled their oil and to restore confidence in their oil, they had a lifetime warranty on any engine that used QS exclusively.
Maybe this is some of that oil that your dad purchased.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: chastn
I don't think it necessarily people hating Pennzoil, some just don't prefer a particular brand. Many years ago, my Dad bought a couple of cases of 30w Quaker State for about 50 cents a quart.

30 years ago was about the time Quaker State made some oil that gelled and ruined a few engines. They admitted it, recalled their oil and to restore confidence in their oil, they had a lifetime warranty on any engine that used QS exclusively.
Maybe this is some of that oil that your dad purchased.

WOW!! how did things get so friggin out of control??

Just look at the data sheets on the website,in both cases dino and syn ,Pennzoil and Quaker look almost alike. I think they are.

That warranty Quaker State has now, 10 yrs.300,000 miles etc. kinda stinks it is sort of heads we win tales you lose. Not surprised though.

People can be highly impressionable..that's my answer to this question. I admit I can sometimes be that way, depending on the subject matter.

How I came to Pennzoil avoidance was around 1990 when I bought a 5-year old Oldsmobile Calais V6 from a technician I worked with at an Olds dealership. He changed the oil religiously at 3K, and even though the car only had 20K miles on it, when I pulled the pan in an attempt to replace a weeping pan gasket, I found a thick layer of slime at the bottom of the pan. The bottom end looked ok, but the pan was less than pretty.

He had always used bulk Penzoil 10W-30 in that car, and only drove it when he was taking a long trip. (It sat in his driveway any other time, as he drove his truck to work).

I don't know what set of conditions conspired to form this slime in the pan. There were no head gasket issues, there was no coolant intrusion. It was perfectly brown, but thick and slimy. So, that's the day I swore off Pennzoil YB, after years of running it in the family's cars, lawn equipment, etc. After my dad saw the slime, he switched everything over to Castrol GTX (except the mower, which was too old to worry about). Neither of us want the stuff in any of our engines, even though I'm sure the forumlations have probably changed numerous times. Some things only take once to scare me off for a lifetime. I know other people have a very much opposite experience from mine, and to that I can only say "good for you".

Having said that...I happily use PP in both my cars, mainly because of all the information that this forum has provided me about it. Good UOAs, nice clean top end pictures, great sale prices, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back