Why Do People Hate On Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpvue
never trust anyone who writes mobil w/ an 'e'.

...or Pennzoil with only one 'n'.

Someone needs to invite that guy to BITOG.
wink.gif

I really don't have a preference for oil, as my car doesn't seem to care which oil I put in. So far I've ran Motorcraft (first 30k KM) then Castrol Syntec and now PP. Heck even when I switched from PP 5w-20 to PP 5w-30 the car behaves the same, start up noise is the same, smoothness throughout the RPM range the same (maybe a stick shift is better for those kind of things, as slush box probobly dampens a lot of engine "feel").

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's pretty common when it comes to oils. You get a snap shot of one condition ..and you assign it to the oil brand. You have to ignore millions that used the product and didn't experience the same condition.

Suppose the engine in question was a known sludge engine from Toyota? He's one of the NEVER AGAIN!!!! types. The "never again" isn't necessarily a bad thing ..as long as there's plenty of whatever it is you're finding problem with. Otherwise, you quickly run out of options.

My evolutions on some products is so protracted that I find total dissatisfaction with the new product in terms of either performance or quality ($ value). I then deem it junk. I then go to an alternative item and also find that it's junk ..and that junk is the new standard for quality.

I love how narrow minded some people are and how they think that a company as huge as Pennzoil (or SOPUS) would actually market a product that would do harm to your engine.

Do you think they would be around all these years if the rumors were true?

smirk2.gif
I laugh and say let them be taxed for the idiots they are.

StevieC

How can you say that when every day someone claims M1 will eat up cams, shorten engine life with high iron,etc.,etc. Remember XM is the largest oil company out there to my knowledge so why would they market an oil that would do harm to engines?

Originally Posted By: tig1
StevieC

How can you say that when every day someone claims M1 will eat up cams, shorten engine life with high iron,etc.,etc. Remember XM is the largest oil company out there to my knowledge so why would they market an oil that would do harm to engines?

Huh?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tig1
StevieC

Huh?
54.gif

Yeah,what???

I never understood it either, I have used Pennzoil in my cars since 1982. Have NEVER seen any type of sludge and very little, if any varnish (other than the norm in pretty much ALL engines)in any of my vehicles over the years. My Father was a sworn QS user, and never seen problems in his either. Go figure...

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
I never understood it either, I have used Pennzoil in my cars since 1982. Have NEVER seen any type of sludge and very little, if any varnish (other than the norm in pretty much ALL engines)in any of my vehicles over the years. My Father was a sworn QS user, and never seen problems in his either. Go figure...

I know,my Grand father was too.

Right now if M1 folded up shop and went out of business I would go with PP fo sure. I won't buy anything if I have to order it, so PP would be my next choice.

PP is good stuff, just wish I could get it thicker. I want a 11 cSt for my supercharged 3.8. 10w-30 PP is so thin =(

I think many of the people with the alleged problems brought them upon themselves. Extending oil changes beyond mfg suggested intervals with conventional oil, is a good place to start looking for the cause. At the time Pennzoil was, (probably still is) the number #1 selling conventional oil, it is easy to see how rumors start.

"Hate on Pennzoil"....lol. Reads like a lesson in ebonics.
I've not noticed too many people slamming Pennzoil these days. Way back when (years ago) some idiots claimed it had candle wax in it that sludged up engines. Somehow that rumor got expanded by other idiots, backyard mechanics, and the simple minded. Once in a while you still hear it (I recently actually heard a manager of a repair shop repeat this foolishness).
Here on BITOG it seems the oil is well regarded in dino or synthetic form.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
How would he know the worst oil from the best?

I have no clue. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.
cheers3.gif

The owners who get their cars serviced at a pennzoil station then have later maintenance problems will blame that pennzoil, failing to admit they skipped countless changes, didn't top off when they WERE skipping, and so on. It's like going to your Dr and saying you've cut out pizza and beer, when it was only one weekend out of the last 20 you've behaved. Machine and human body comparisons almost always work because you really have to take care of both, however rarely will an engine heal itself.

Originally Posted By: maximus
That person obviously doesn't have much credibility. Just look at how many spelling errors he's made. He's probably some 17 year old kid who doesn't even own a vehicle.

that is exactly what I was thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back