Why Do People Hate On Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people still hate Pennzoil?

Quote:
Penzoil is practically the worst motor oil out there. I dare say it is the single WORST name brand oil available on the market.

Let me state that I do use some oils that would be classified as "botique oils" but I don't use them for everything. I use Royal Purple or Red Line for gear oils in my rear ends and transmissions and my dad loves Amsoil for motorcycle use.

For day to day use, I use the Ford Motorcraft oil in my Fords and Mobile 1 synthetic for my mom's benz. I know Mobile 1 isn't as good as it use to be but its still a [censored] good oil by compairison.

Castrol GTX or synthetic isn't bad, I have friends that swear by it and havn't found any problems when they have torn down a motor. Shell Rotella T is good stuff for motors with lots of load on them. A friend of mine uses it in his work trucks. I'm not sure if that oil is better suited for a desil motor or not.... I can't remember. I've never heard of any problems with Valvoline but I havn't looked.

If you change your oil every 2500 miles with regular penzoil you will be ok, leave it in for 4000+ miles regularly and I would be shocked if you didn't have sludge in your engine block. I've seen what years 5-10 years of penzoil does on the inside of engine blocks in person and it is NOT PERTY.

Bottem line, don't buy this [censored].... it sux.

Flame me if you want but I'm just trying to save yer motor.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1500553&page=2

-ttvr4

They do? They are well liked here...

Outside of BITOG I wouldn't hold too highly because it's mostly uneducated folk spreading old-wives tales and rhetoric

Last edited:
It's pretty common when it comes to oils. You get a snap shot of one condition ..and you assign it to the oil brand. You have to ignore millions that used the product and didn't experience the same condition.

Suppose the engine in question was a known sludge engine from Toyota? He's one of the NEVER AGAIN!!!! types. The "never again" isn't necessarily a bad thing ..as long as there's plenty of whatever it is you're finding problem with. Otherwise, you quickly run out of options.

My evolutions on some products is so protracted that I find total dissatisfaction with the new product in terms of either performance or quality ($ value). I then deem it junk. I then go to an alternative item and also find that it's junk ..and that junk is the new standard for quality.

I dont think people hate Pennzoil. From my experience, I think Pennzoil is the best selling motor oil out there. In every 711 and grocery store, the only bottle of oil they will sell is Pennzoil. Btw, I think Pennzoil is one of the best brands out there.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's pretty common when it comes to oils. You get a snap shot of one condition ..and you assign it to the oil brand. You have to ignore millions that used the product and didn't experience the same condition.

Suppose the engine in question was a known sludge engine from Toyota? He's one of the NEVER AGAIN!!!! types. The "never again" isn't necessarily a bad thing ..as long as there's plenty of whatever it is you're finding problem with. Otherwise, you quickly run out of options.

My evolutions on some products is so protracted that I find total dissatisfaction with the new product in terms of either performance or quality ($ value). I then deem it junk. I then go to an alternative item and also find that it's junk ..and that junk is the new standard for quality.

I love how narrow minded some people are and how they think that a company as huge as Pennzoil (or SOPUS) would actually market a product that would do harm to your engine.

Do you think they would be around all these years if the rumors were true?

smirk2.gif
I laugh and say let them be taxed for the idiots they are.

I'm a hardcore PP consumer (4 cars running on PP). I love Amsoil and Mobil 1 as well (use Amsoil ATF and Mobil 1 10w-30). However, I still think PP is the biggest bang for the buck.

-ttvr4

PP is definitly the best bang for the buck in the GRP-III Syn world as far as I'm concerned. (JMO)

In the PAO world I think Amsoil is. (JMO)

And in the POE world I think Redline would take the cake. (JMO)

JMO = Just my Opinon, no one get their nickers in a not and turn this into an M1 thread.
smirk2.gif

That person obviously doesn't have much credibility. Just look at how many spelling errors he's made. He's probably some 17 year old kid who doesn't even own a vehicle.

Last edited:
I've run Pennzoil dino for 5K+ miles in my turbocharged VW "sludgemonster", without the first hint of sludge buildup. There's nothing wrong with Pennzoil.

My father was a mechanic from the early 60's to the early 90's. He was a firm believer that Pennzoil would sludge up an engine. I believed it too, until I came to BITOG.

I have a very good friend that's a heavy duty truck mechanic. He thinks QS has wax & will sludge up an engine but Pennzoil is the best. Go figure.

I used to hate it too, because from what mechanics told me it was junk many years ago.
BITOG has changed my mind on the Pennz that has been produced in the last maybe 15-20 years. No relation to the old stuff at all.
I'd run it.

These threads make me laugh. From the mid 70's until I joined BITOG I ran Pennzoil dino exclusively in 2 of my 3 vehicle fleet. I changed cars a few times but not oil brands. One of the three I ran Mobil 1 exclusively, switched over to PP this past December, thanks to BITOG.

I can say in all the years I ran Pennzoil I never had any of the problems some mention here. Now I switch brands a little, but it seems Pennzoil still dominates my stash, PP and Amsoil have replaced Mobil 1, no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back