Why did I pick up 1.8mpg going to a higher viscosity oil ?

So my on my fifth fill-up and I picked up 1.8mpg going from 5w-20 to 5w-40 in my 14 JK. I've run PUP 5w-20 and PP Euro 5w-40 since. I know this isn't a scientific long term experiment but I honestly thought it was going to go down at least a mpg.
1000007586.jpg

Simple answer being that the observed fuel economy change isn’t because of the oil.

It never is actually. That change is deep in the noise of everyday driving. You’ll never be able to single out that one variable. It’s there, otherwise nobody would be chasing lower viscosity oils. But you’ll never be able to isolate it.

Here is a good post by someone who knows what he’s talking about. This was posted in reference to a slightly different question but the answer is the same:

My wife experiences the same thing as you with the same engine. Her 2015 Wrangler calls for 5w-20. I change to 10w-40 during the Summers. She reports better mpg's with it also. Over 190,000 hard miles (high loads, high rpm's) and still works well.

I go from 11 to 15+ mpg just depending on whether i go offroading or not. Something like this could happen just because you didn't have to stop at as many lights or something

My wife experiences the same thing as you with the same engine. Her 2015 Wrangler calls for 5w-20. I change to 10w-40 during the Summers. She reports better mpg's with it also. Over 190,000 hard miles (high loads, high rpm's) and still works well.
Because of the summer fuel and warmer temps...

Back