why change oil from what is recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
Today's oils are so good, there's no reason to use anything thicker than what's called for.

What do you do when 30W becomes a 20W? Why not start out with a 40W and wind up with a 30W?

To answer the question of the effect of ambient air temp on the oil temp, my experiance since installing an oil temp gauge in my BMW has been that at highway speeds of 65-75 mph my oil runs between 100 - 110 degrees hotter than the outside air temp.

On my 18 hour drive to Indy in December, my oil temp never got over 170. The air temp was around 30 when I left Houston and the warmest air temp was around 60. Most of the trip the oil temp was between 140-150.

On my last return from Indy in June I ran through the Dallas area with air temps at 100 for an hour or more. The oil temp was between 190 and 200 during that part of the trip. After the sun went down between Dallas and Houston the air temp dropped to the mid 80s and my oil cooled down to the 180-190 range.

Your results will vary.
cheers.gif

quote:

Nobody else does comparison testing either the last time I checked.

Not true. While I agree with your post Ted, and think it's great Amsoil does do comparisons, you better believe that all the majors compare their products to the competition. Even Schaeffer's does, ask the Salesrep. Johnny will tell you also.

In fact, Maxima does a lot of their testing with comparisons to RL and Amsoil. Companies like RL work very closely with racing teams and engine builders. These tests we are looking at are all lab tests. They can give you a glimpse of what an oil is capable of. Amsoil deserves a lot of credit for the testing they do, even if they pick and chose the products that won't measure up as well...for example, the MC white paper failed to use Maxima's Full Ester based oil or even to test RL. Anyway, this is getting off topic now. I would not fear any Amsoil product as we all know it's of very high quality.

[ September 02, 2006, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
Today's oils are so good, there's no reason to use anything thicker than what's called for.

What do you do when 30W becomes a 20W? Why not start out with a 40W and wind up with a 30W?

I don't worry about it. I've been running 30 weight oils for years and never had an oil related problem, and the oils today are much better than the oils I used over the years.

...btw, I was already well aware these tests are the same. That wasn't the point.

Buster,

You can spend a minute googling these tests if you were really that interested and find out they were the same.
smile.gif

Nobody publishes more ASTM test data on their products than Amsoil does. Nobody else does comparison testing either the last time I checked.
Ever seen Mobil 1 do any comparison tests with other synthetics? If they have I must have missed it...

I'd agree that certain tests are more relevant than others and I know what I look at for comparison purposes.

Ted

Not to place myself into any sort of (often endless) debate on the prowess of Amsoil products...I will comment on testing, and the reporting of such.

I personally give TONS more weight to a side-by-side comparison that has been conducted by an independant laboratory.

And if a proper oil brand and type comparison is to be made, it should well be certified testing that the consumer gets fed. With me, notorized "I Swear's" just don't cut it.

In-house testing can so easily, and often, fall into the grey area of marketing mumbo-jumbo, albeit quazi technical mumbo-jumbo.

Hard to argue a, paid for, battery of tests by Falex, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back