0W20 M1 + iVTEC =
fruit.gif
NOT
pat.gif

[ August 23, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
---snip--
is there anything that would validate the cost difference between an $8 oil and a $5 oil at the 3,000 to 5,000 mile interval?
---snip---

Maybe or maybe not, anyone here do a study?

What about between a 1.10 /1.50 and a 5.00 /8.00?
I bet a resounding yes.

I'd guess, and I may be wrong, but it looks like there may be more of something to look at at say
10 - 15 - 20 k or thereabouts....

The one thing I do see, and this is no matter if the oil has 100 miles or 10000 miles on it: the premium oils, I do see an improved fuel milage.

IMHO, this would translate into reduced friction, which means less wear, which means I will have to worry about one less thing.

IMHO, bottom line is that the one and only thing I can do to make my engine run longer, is use a premium oil, and don;t let it get or stay too dirty for too long... And if I can do this and actually have the oil pay for itself in fuel savings, or at least reduce the cost per quart because of fuel savings, then if the oil cost say
4.00 5.00 or 8.00 and it saved me 1.6 - 2 - maybe 3% on fuel that's going to save me 8-10-20 dollars
per 8K miles (if Im getting say 22mpg without oil)and if I use some make-up oil perhaps less...
I look at fuel because it is MY biggest expense, and for you it may not be a factor, but for some it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back