Why are Waffle House hash browns good?

Waffle House hash browns don't have much grease at all. You can watch them when they cook them on the griddle. There may be just enough grease on the griddle to keep them from sticking but grease is not the secret. I have tried to duplicate them at home with no success. I like mine scattered and smothered (crispy with onions for those who don't know) with eggs over easy mixed in with the hash browns. Yummy!

If I had to guess I bet they wash the potatoes after they shred them. Going by memory here but my son and I like this Youtube show called Binging With Babish. He made hash browns on one episode and I think the two things he did to really make them cook nice was wash them good and cook them in butter. I'd have to watch the episode again to be sure.

You asked why they taste so good. Because if they didn't taste good, then nobody would order them twice. I think Krismoriah72 answered how do they make them taste so good. Fats taste delicious to humans.

You asked why they taste so good. Because if they didn't taste good, then nobody would order them twice. I think Krismoriah72 answered how do they make them taste so good. Fats taste delicious to humans.
Reminds me of Rudy’s BBQ when they put “moist” brisket on the menu … Translation = fatty with bark

every waffle house around me is GROSS. I tried about 5x, 10 years ago...and their food sucked everytime. not going back...ever.
IHOP, Bob Evans, or even perkins are way better they have above a 0% chance of getting food that is tasty and doesnt make me sick.

I love hash browns especially the extra crispy ones they are pretty good probably because the ones at Waffle House are loaded with grease but good too. I rarely eat at Waffle House since my preferred breakfast places are Hardee’s or Bojangles one thing I really like from Waffle House though is the biscuits and gravy since they grill the biscuits oh man it’s good lol
I'm not sure they can be called biscuits. There's not an oven in the place. ;)
Now, with that said I am a WH fan. I ignore that they have "biscuits".

I prefer country baked potatoes in our local diner over hash browns.
image.jpg

Oh great, now i have to go the Cheddars for mashed (double country fried chicken, mashed and carrots... mmmm) 😁
I haven’t been to Cheddars in years since about a year after they opened the one here lol ever since Darden took it over it has sucked I don’t see how they stay in business same with Olive Garden.

Hmm, I actually find them pretty reliably good... I've had it a good bit lately because there is one basically right next to my hotel, so after 8 weeks of 12 hour days its just too easy...

Olive Garden is not my favorite..

Hmm, I actually find them pretty reliably good... I've had it a good bit lately because there is one basically right next to my hotel, so after 8 weeks of 12 hour days its just too easy...

Olive Garden is not my favorite..
I knew when I went in there after they got bought out that when they downsized the chicken tender plate from 8 to 6 something was up I was right lol 😂. And yes Olive Garden is gross don’t see how anyone could eat that.

Here is a how to make Waffle House hash brown recipe. Waffle house copy recipe . . Supposedly they use clarified butter instead of chunks of butter on the griddle. I did this trick in a kitchen back in the day when i cooked.

Back