Why are Waffle House hash browns good?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am typically not a hash brown fan. Many diners just seemed to plop a pile on the griddle, and brown them a bit, and then on the plate and out to the table. I usually skip/ avoid them.

Waffle House does something different than most diners with their hash browns. And I am not talking about the nice extras they can put on them like cheese/ mushrooms/ tomatoes/ onions, etc. Something about them are distinctly different than most. Anyone know what they do different? I have no idea- but wonder why diners don't plagiarize their hash brown method/ recipe.

Maybe it's a secret ingredient, real potatoes. I'm sure WH has saved me many hangovers. I used to go to WH for breakfast lots of early mornings 3-6AM before going home and going to bed. Putting some food on my stomach before going to bed always decreased the likelihood of having a hangover when I woke up. Sometimes when I hadn't eaten I was proactive by taking Tylenol before going to bed. Didn't always completely stop the hangover but, they didn't seem to be as bad.

Do they use fresh shredded potatoes? A lot of restaurants use frozen.

Just like a lot of places use frozen French fries but some still make their own and you can really tell the difference.

I love hash browns especially the extra crispy ones they are pretty good probably because the ones at Waffle House are loaded with grease but good too. I rarely eat at Waffle House since my preferred breakfast places are Hardee’s or Bojangles one thing I really like from Waffle House though is the biscuits and gravy since they grill the biscuits oh man it’s good lol

If you do a search on "how to make waffle house hash browns" the consensus seems to be that they salt the shredded potatoes and soak them in ice water for a couple of hours

Because it's 2am and you're probably drunk. lol

Their hashbrowns are decent though. I can't stand the ones from McDs. I make them at home on a griddle with a little oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, and sage.

Waffle House hashbrowns come in as dehydrated they add water and drain them after they plump up. They are fried in butter and then oil is squirted on from a little bottle. (i saw the process many years ago)

So you could do it yourself using Hungry Jack most likely.

Back