Why are there so many AWD cars now?

Maybe it’s mostly an SUV thing on lower grip surfaces, but getting rotation on turn in, especially when trailing the brakes a bit, has usually been quite easy. Its the transition to power on that most fwd biased systems stink at, as they tend to wait until the fronts slip a bit, you gets some understeer and then the rears kick in, and depending on the grip and AWD system, you can still understeer or go to a AWD drift.
I’d agree with respect to the RS and Golf R, but I still prefer a RWD bias if given a choice. Also, my local Ford and VW dealers tend to be uniformly terrible.

Everyone has a choice when they purchase a vehicle. Nobody forces anyone to buy a AWD car or one with a pano roof or a black car.

For those who drive faster in inclement conditions because of AWD they are stupid. For me, one reason I like AWD is that I can maneuver quickly to avoid those drivers as they drive out of control.

AWD is better in the snow, all else being equal. It's irrefutable math. Assuming equal weight and power distribution, you get 25% of the available friction coefficient/resultant acceleration rate from each driven wheel. Even on a level or near-level surface, trying to leave a stop sign at an intersection with a polished packed snow/ice surface and one or two driven wheels is a miserable experience.

AWD/4WD does inspire overconfidence in some. It doesn't make AWD inherently bad. Some people are too stupid/careless/uninformed/overconfident to use a chainsaw, and should be restricted to a hand saw. I know which one I'd rather cut firewood with.

If I lived in Florida, I'd have a rear wheel drive truck and a rear wheel drive car. Instead, I live where the air hurts my face for 4 months a year and have 4WD/AWD.

I don't know so it's a conspiracy.jpg

I love AWD and will absolutely push the limits of it, and my tires, on dry pavement.
However most modern AWD systems use an electronic clutch the engage the rear wheels when the computer deems it necessary.
So most AWD cars and SUVs are only driving the front wheels in casual city driving.

Two of 3 vehicles here are FWD. The truck is RWD unless I engage 4WD. We have snow on the ground for a solid 5 months of the year. 99% of the time FWD and winter tires works well enough, but there is a day or two per year where we use the truck to get everyone to work/school. AWD makes things easier in winter, without a doubt. We had a RWD Expedition in Florida during holidays a little bit back and I can't imagine the need for AWD there...ever. That is a flat place.

But when you get stuck with a awd/4wd you get stuck worse.

I told this to one of our news photographers renting a 4wd to cover a big snow storm..."Best thing to do is, drive in two wheel drive and if you get stuck, you put it in 4wd back out and go home."

It snows where I live. I have 4WD and my wife has AWD and we have no problem getting up our snow-covered driveway with normal tires. Several times this winter I could barely get my FWD car with new Blizzaks up the snow-covered driveway. There's a huge difference.

AWD is used every time you drive the car whether you need it or not
Well... That depends on the kind of AWD system. Many of the so-called AWD systems are really "front wheel drive until the front wheels lose traction then we briefly drive all 4 wheels". My Pilot, former CR-V, former Traverse, and wife's late Equinox all worked that way. I thought Subaru was among the few that actually has true AWD.

1) You're not alone.
2) Sensitivity to unevenly worn tires is, in my opinion, a ridiculous thing to design into a system. Failure to mention this downside during the selling process is dishonest.
3) An AWD system likely has better handling characteristics and often leans towards a 50/50 weight distribution but most drivers don't push their vehicles to the point of needing it.
4) AWD systems (and other options) added to cars generate more sales revenue. Sellers needn't be bothered with customers' actual needs.
BMWs always targeted 50/50 and awd is further from it than rwd. Not sure if you were referring to torque split maybe. Awd vehicles often have much more difficult service procedures when compared to rwd. But unquestionably as previously mentioned, awd vehicles handily navigate the mountainous ice covered roads surrounding the modern factory outlet center

The vast majority of Mazda and Subaru’s lineup are AWD now, and most of the used Lexuses I’ve been seeing are as well. It seems like there are a lot more full-time AWD vehicles than just a decade ago. Are these appealing to people who drive in the snow a lot? It just seems like you are paying extra for something else to go wrong. At least on my wife’s RAV4 you can turn it off when you don’t need it but that’s not the case with most I’ve seen. I read somewhere that many of the systems can’t tolerate even a small tire diameter mismatch, so if you damage a tire you have to replace the entire set?

I must officially be an old curmudgeon now because I want nothing to do with AWD vehicles other than a true 4x4 truck, and that’s not as a daily driver.
I live in Utah. The vast majority of vehicles are wither AWD or 4WD. I know absolutely no one who has had trouble with the systems(s). Don't you get snow in Northern Kentucky? I have folks in Newport and they get hammered with storms sometimes. The option for AWD many times is less than $2,000.00.

So yea-you are fretting about a non-issue.

Spoken by someone who lives where it doesn't snow......
I grew up in the snow and don't miss it. However if you really need AWD to get through the snow, then you likely should just stay home because the rest of the clown show will be running into things - like you - left right and center.

1) You're not alone.
2) Sensitivity to unevenly worn tires is, in my opinion, a ridiculous thing to design into a system. Failure to mention this downside during the selling process is dishonest.
3) An AWD system likely has better handling characteristics and often leans towards a 50/50 weight distribution but most drivers don't push their vehicles to the point of needing it.
4) AWD systems (and other options) added to cars generate more sales revenue. Sellers needn't be bothered with customers' actual needs.
Re:2. Sure, there is a lot of alleged hype regarding this type of failure, but I’ve never actually seen proof of it.

As a matter of fact, I’ve got 6 prior & current Subarus, along with a really bad rotation habit, to say this is really overblown and fabricated. At least in the Subaru world.

Well... That depends on the kind of AWD system. Many of the so-called AWD systems are really "front wheel drive until the front wheels lose traction then we briefly drive all 4 wheels". My Pilot, former CR-V, former Traverse, and wife's late Equinox all worked that way. I thought Subaru was among the few that actually has true AWD.
Only in the manual ones and WRX's now.
They do use a clutch pack on mine but apparently its always sending about 40% of drive to the rears, where as a lot of systems send no power until the fronts slip. Of all the clutched or part time AWD systems I've driven, it is the fastest to light up the rears when you punch it on snow and often I can't detect any lag at all? I should record a snow launch sometime and see if there is half a front wheel turn of lag or not.
Anyways, I'm not rallying it and I picked the Subaru for its mileage and hopefully longevity, and good tires certainly trump almost any AWD system advantage or disadvantages on regular roads.
The odd time we are tip toeing up a semi washed out icy logging road trying not to get any wheelspin and it does work better than our 2006 CRV did which would spin up the fronts, then slam in the rears, slide sideways, and then cut power and repeat the process. But in a parking lot with 8" of snow or slush both systems work good enough 99.9% of the time.

Re:2. Sure, there is a lot of alleged hype regarding this type of failure, but I’ve never actually seen proof of it.

As a matter of fact, I’ve got 6 prior & current Subarus, along with a really bad rotation habit, to say this is really overblown and fabricated. At least in the Subaru world.
It certainly depends on the model. If its a viscous coupling setup it will eventually wear that out. You won't know its worn out however, because the only symptom is it won't put much power to whatever axle its supposed to be driving. And since most people really seldom use AWD, they don't notice.

Back