why are ratcheting combination wrenches 12 point

12point makes it easier to put on the nut , bolt.
but, the box end ratchets/spins/rotates, often with 72-point positioning, so a 6-point (with more overall direct contact to the head) would be effectively as easy to engage with a better fit.

Personally I have no use for 6pt wrenches of any sort (small size line wrenches are an exception) and can honestly say I have not really needed one.
Same and as far as ratchet wrenches go my gearwrench branded ones strip the gears if I even point them in the direction of something very tight. The mechanism has always let go before the twelve point slipped or rounded a fastener.

They are great for running something down or removing something that’s already been broke loose. I especially like my stubby set as any extra movement I can get in that tight of a space is appreciated.

Same and as far as ratchet wrenches go my gearwrench branded ones strip the gears if I even point them in the direction of something very tight. The mechanism has always let go before the twelve point slipped or rounded a fastener.

They are great for running something down or removing something that’s already been broke loose. I especially like my stubby set as any extra movement I can get in that tight of a space is appreciated.
I used my HF 9/16 exclusively with a dead-blow to remove the nuts from the AH-64 TR head. IIRC they're torqued to 780in-lbs.

Still have that ratcheting wrench. Still worked well, but the chrome is flaking pretty bad.

Back