why are ratcheting combination wrenches 12 point

ratcheting shouldnt be used for higher torque its for convenience.. so 12point makes it even more convenient(and usable on more types of fastener) in that use.

There are a few 6point..

Exactly, since they shouldnt be used for higher torque anyway 6 point wouldn't make any sense.

This 6 point versus 12 point debate comes up often . It's yet another thing that I don't stress over .
I frequently have to loosen 17mm caliper bracket bolts torqued to 80ft lbs plus rust and thread locker (*cough*GM*cough*) with the 12 point box end of a wrench when I can't fit a six point impact socket in, never had an issue with the head rounding. I've also used the 12 point box end to hold the 19mm nut from spinning on a Hyundai Elantra lower control arm while I torqued it to 120 ft lbs, again, I had absolutely no problems with the nut rounding.

I think for the most part any nuts or bolts expected to be torqued down very tightly should be made of steel hard enough to not round over with a 12 point.

The reason is the ease of fastener engagement. Those flex-head ratcheting wrenches are great for belt tensioners.

I frequently have to loosen 17mm caliper bracket bolts torqued to 80ft lbs plus rust and thread locker (*cough*GM*cough*) with the 12 point box end of a wrench when I can't fit a six point impact socket in, never had an issue with the head rounding. I've also used the 12 point box end to hold the 19mm nut from spinning on a Hyundai Elantra lower control arm while I torqued it to 120 ft lbs, again, I had absolutely no problems with the nut rounding.

I think for the most part any nuts or bolts expected to be torqued down very tightly should be made of steel hard enough to not round over with a 12 point.
They make impact swivel sockets for this exact purpose.

Reactions: D60
my main reason for preferring a 6-point, generally, is for dealing with a bolt or nut that might be rusted and/or rounded to some degree - to get more direct contact with whatever flats are left
twice as many 'acquisition' points to initially engage that six-sided bolt
i get that on a regular box end, but doesn't seem very useful for a ratcheting box end
12-points work on square nuts too.
that point i'll buy (y)

my main reason for preferring a 6-point, generally, is for dealing with a bolt or nut that might be rusted and/or rounded to some degree - to get more direct contact with whatever flats are left

i get that on a regular box end, but doesn't seem very useful for a ratcheting box end

that point i'll buy (y)

Although less common 4 and 8 point ratchets also exist

564C0767-FA5A-4219-BB23-A3DC254361D6.jpeg

I use some Tekton 6pts at my mill and I can tell you you wouldn't think so, but you notice it takes more work to initially engage the fastener. It's not a HUGE deal but it is noticeable.

Beyond that as stated 12pt will work for squares, like cheating the drive end of a thread tap.

And of course 12pt is nice for 12pt fasteners which are somewhat rare but not that rare like Ford d/s flange bolts and Ram wheel bearing bolts.

Fortunately I don't live in the rust belt so considerations of fastener heads deteriorating are on the rare occasions I work on vehicles that came from the central or Eastern US

that point i'll buy (y)
Years ago your point is well taken but since the advent of "Flank Drive" this is no longer as accurate. This why I upgraded my perfectly good Hazet and Stahlwille 12 pt wrenches and all sockets a few years ago. Generally if the "Flank Drive" or whatever name the company uses for it eg Stahlwille has AS-Drive is rounding off the nut the 6 point will too, thats where the Rocket socket comes in.
I have been in this trade 52 years and still have little or no use for 6 pt wrenches. The problem with 6 pt wrenches is not only acquiring the bolt/nut head with the tool it is once the fastener moves you may not have enough room to grab another flat.

AS-Drive is an extremely accurately fitting profile developed for aviation and aerospace. Tools with this profile can be recognized by the AS-Drive symbol and offer the following advantages:

Bolts are gripped on the flanks, allowing the bolts to be protected for longer bolt life.
Larger contact surfaces between bolt and tool create a secure grip and higher torque transmission.

12Point.jpg

The problem with 6 pt wrenches is not only acquiring the bolt/nut head with the tool it is once the fastener moves you may not have enough room to grab another flat.
Part of my point is that with a ratcheting box end that's not an issue, once it's securely positioned on the head

As far as the 12-point AS-Drive goes, if those corners are already rounded, which is probably rare in aviation & aerospace scenarios, that next point in the wrench box is still going to slip over a badly rounded corner. In a 6-point box, the next wall is still a whole flat away. That allows the 6 flats more contact than any points in the wrench would offer. There's probably a better way to word that... :unsure:

Last edited:
Not really, 6 point do not grab as much of the fastener flats as you might think. To get a socket or wrench that fit the flats that close you would have to hammer the socket or wrench on/off every time. There is not as much difference as you might think, the old 6 point sockets would round a fastener off quite easily.

Single Hex Flank v Cheap Single Hex.JPG

Where I work 12pt anything for 6 pt anything is considered a safety issue

12pt are more easily broken and more easily slip.

Actually a ban on 12pt and they aren’t in the plant except for u-bolt and drivetrain installations

Do you have a long bridge you would like to sell me. That is a load of crap.
Or it's just the guys in polo shirts and jeans and actuaries patting themselves on the back for implementing safety policies. And it's CYA to show on paper an (excessive) attempt to "be safe."

One machine shop/maintenance shop I worked in they decided the crew was using too many Band-Aids from the med cabinet....so you then had to log every time you took a Band-Aid and for what. There were no frivolous injury claims that started this. Such policies just don't account for the realities of the job - minor cuts and scratches happen

One machine shop/maintenance shop I worked in they decided the crew was using too many Band-Aids from the med cabinet....so you then had to log every time you took a Band-Aid and for what.
Did they also complain about the blood stains on the log page? 🙃

Back