Why are all phones gigantic?

The ergonomics of that one is perfect! You can prop it up on your steering wheel so you can text and drive!

Yea, that's a job for you, "Crash Test Dummy".

I once saw a young woman slam her vehicle into the back of a stopped car that had its left turn signal on and it was waiting to make a turn, without her brake lights ever coming on. Fortunately, both her and the innocent driver of the stopped car that had his turn-signal on were not seriously hurt. I was far behind her and I and everyone in my car watched the whole thing. She was at least 75 feet or more behind the stopped car that was not moving when everyone in my car realized she was not slowing down at all. After the accident, I drove up to them and stopped and gave the driver of the car that got hit my contact info. Was she texting? I could not see her when she was driving, but she sure never saw his vehicle before she hit it.

I also saw a big diesel dump truck blow right through a busy intersection with the driver texting (10th street going North bound intersecting 18th street East and West) in the South Side of Pittsburgh about 10 AM on a weekday. It was unusual for no one to be in that intersection moving on 18th at that time of the day and just plain luck that no one got hit. I could see that he was looking down at where he was holding his phone and not looking at all at what was Infront of him. I caught up to the driver (an older man) at the stop light at the exit of the Armstrong tunnel and told him what he had done, and he realized that he did not even know he ran a red light while he was texting. And it was not like that light changed while he was entering the intersection. It was red before he got to the crosswalk before entering the intersection.

Last edited:
Looks like 6.5" is the new minimum height for just about every phone available now. From what I can tell other than the iPhone mini and S22 perhaps the 5.5" region of real estate no longer exists. I don't care as much but my wife with smaller hands refuses to go larger because it's too awkward to hold and use with one hand. Hoping more options in what I would consider a normal size become a available again.

It seems like advanced tech should result in smaller phones.

I found a 12 year old flip phone of mine in a drawer this past week.
I am toying with the idea of getting a new sim card for it and making that my phone as the primary reason I am often w/o my cell is that is simply too large to fit conveniently into my pocket.

Maybe I'll get one of those small holsters again too :unsure:

PS:
For a while I was an early adopter for Smartphone with the Blackberry form work 20 years ago... but now I wonder
..whats the point of it all? I do own a iphone. Not the latest but it works but its too large to comfortable put in my pocket and when I do it limits my range of movement so I often dont carry it at all.

Smartphones being basically hand held computers now, whats the point?
I have a desktop at home with a nice giant screen and comfy keyboard.
when at work I have a choice between a desktop and my work laptop.
When on travel fr work I have my work laptop
When on personal travel at hotel I have my personals laptop.
When driving I cannot use my smartfones features anyway and my cars Nav works just fine..
When flying I am not allowed to use it on the plane.

Last edited:
I am toying with the idea of getting a new sim card for it and making that my phone as the primary reason I am often w/o my cell is that is simply too large to fit conveniently into my pocket.

It won't work any longer now that 2G and 3G are obsolete.
Unfortunately, there aren't really any good reasonably priced compact flip phones available at this point. Alcatel has a couple of different iterations of what is basically the same flip phone, but they aren't really very good, and they are larger than they really need to be for a basic phone to make calls on.
The Motorola Krzr K3 was the best flip phone that I ever had. I sure do miss it. I wish that someone would manufacture a flip phone like this again.

My Samsung Galaxy S10e definitely is not.

Capture.jpg

Over the years phones have rotated big small big small

Lately it seems to be big bigger smaller biggest gigantic

Like all fads will probably burn itself out.

I remember several times over the years that as small as possible was the expensive high end offering, give it 3-5 and things will change again.

Sort of like the people buying harvest gold appliances in this century because it’s ironic and retro.

Rolling with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, I forget what the screen size is. this phone IMHO is the perfection of the fork factor that started in the S3.. a decade ago. I think it is like a 5" screen size. The iPhone 4 had a SMALL screen but it was loved. That's the SE of a couple or few years ago.

Back when the Mega was 6.3" (never saw a 5.7") it was "cool" but too big......

Looks like 6.5" is the new minimum height for just about every phone available now. From what I can tell other than the iPhone mini and S22 perhaps the 5.5" region of real estate no longer exists. I don't care as much but my wife with smaller hands refuses to go larger because it's too awkward to hold and use with one hand. Hoping more options in what I would consider a normal size become a available again.
Refreshing to hear a woman say 'size doesn't matter'. :)

It seems like advanced tech should result in smaller phones.

PS:
For a while I was an early adopter for Smartphone with the Blackberry form work 20 years ago... but now I wonder
..whats the point of it all? I do own a iphone. Not the latest but it works but its too large to comfortable put in my pocket and when I do it limits my range of movement so I often dont carry it at all.

Smartphones being basically hand held computers now, whats the point?
I have a desktop at home with a nice giant screen and comfy keyboard.
when at work I have a choice between a desktop and my work laptop.
When on travel fr work I have my work laptop
When on personal travel at hotel I have my personals laptop.
When driving I cannot use my smartfones features anyway and my cars Nav works just fine..
When flying I am not allowed to use it on the plane.
You must have some tiny pockets lol.

I think there are multiple reasons for it:

the production of screens is cheaper, larger device tends to pack larger battery and more features; also, generally the trend is to increase size of everything out there, your cars, your houses, meals etc etc, more and more affordable unlimited cell phone plans so people spend more time on their phone screens,

Finally i'd say it is replacement for a tablet/laptop; Many people opt for lets say iP Pro Max because they do not have/use laptop/tablet at home; on the other hand, people who have tablet/laptop at home tend to stick with iP regular or smaller version generally

My current EDC is 5.8" x 2.75" x 0.33". I'd had larger and downsized, do not want to plan my wardrobe around having supersized pockets. If I need a larger phone screen for a task, I still have the older phones, just no cell service but still usable as a beater over wifi, or for OBD2 code reader++ apps like Torque or Forscan.

Back