Why are all phones gigantic?

Looks like 6.5" is the new minimum height for just about every phone available now. From what I can tell other than the iPhone mini and S22 perhaps the 5.5" region of real estate no longer exists. I don't care as much but my wife with smaller hands refuses to go larger because it's too awkward to hold and use with one hand. Hoping more options in what I would consider a normal size become a available again.

I'm on an S22 Ultra here so don't ask me.

My wife has an S21 and loves it.

There are a few phones in the smaller form factor. IPhone, IPhone SE, S22, S21, S21FE, Pixel 6, Pixel 5a, etc. I would not buy a phone that wasn't from a major.

Keep in mind that screen size does not necessarily dictate overall dimensions. My S22 Ultra is smaller than my previous LG V60 even though the screen is bigger.

Last edited:
Have you guys actually tried them in person or are you just looking at the screen size as the only metric? Phones are making more efficient use of space and screen size (I would hope so since they keep removing features that we still use). Here is a picture of my 5 year old 5.5" screen phone next to my 2 year old 6.78" phone, next to 2 other devices I have to use for work every day (the tablet is 7" display yet it dwarfs the 6.78" phone).
The small phone for reference is a pixel 2 with a 5" screen. I find it too small for some of the stuff I use it for daily (zooming in on sketches and plans I use outside at work) plus the battery life was terrible with the smaller battery.
Actually just trying to use the pixel 2 to attach the photos I took here was frustrating. The small size seems awkward when typing. I do have largish hands and fingers and am also used to having to use much larger devices as shown in the pictures.
If you barely use your phone and want a smaller device you're probably better off not spending the huge $$ on an s22 when you're not getting a lot for your money and could get something for half that price.

Attachments

• IMG_20220417_082451.jpg
    IMG_20220417_082451.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220417_082442.jpg
    IMG_20220417_082442.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220417_122357254.jpg
    PXL_20220417_122357254.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220417_122348000.jpg
    PXL_20220417_122348000.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My former boss got a fancy holder for some reading glasses that fold flat and go into said holder. Enables him to read the phone. Small screen, small text. Gets harder to read as one gets older. Also I think, as phones get more capable, users want the same functionality as their laptop. Which means bigger screen required.

Don’t look at me, just got an SE, and its the size I prefer. I can see how a bigger size would work for some though, especially if its a tool in their trade.

I bought an iphone SE 2 years ago because I wanted a smaller phone. Not sure what I'll get next.

The SE 2 is the same size as the SE 3, and the 13 mini is about the same if not a smidge smaller than both, but has bigger display due to almost no bevel and the display is much higher quality. It does cost a couple hundred bucks more but its a great phone if you like smaller form factor EDIT: the 13 mini that is.

Last edited:
I'm talking about overall dimensions and not just screen size. I just got a Pixel 6 and my wife has zero interest in it as apposed to the Pixel 3 and 4A that she has used and currently has. This is pushing it even for me....just unnecessary in size and it's not even the Pro. The 5A isn't much different.

I'm an Android fan but she would go Apple for an SE or Mini if that was her only option.

Looks like 6.5" is the new minimum height for just about every phone available now.
What are you looking at ? The main iPhones are 5-3/4" (11, 12, 13, etc) and the SE is just under 5-1/2". I'm sure Samsung has similar options.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini which was 4"
which was quite sufficient for my needs (messaging, google maps, occasional browsing and watching how-to videos)

I guess I am in the minority that would buy a phone under 5"

Lots of options or you can just go with the highest rated small phone on the market = IPhone 13 Mini
With the mini. You give up nothing, it’s an iPhone 13 squeezed into a small package, same great cameras, fastest processor in the world ya da ya da … and so on …
I almost bought one, love the phone but was on the fence so went with the 13 standard

It’s really about lack of demand for small phones or the market would be full of them.

Last edited:
I’m in trouble if I don’t go apple on my next device. I have the iPhone XR and personally the phones too big for my comfort. I’d have to go with an iPhone mini unless I can find an android with the right dimensions for my comfort.

Back