Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

Yeah the Cherokee overheated after you turned it off it was really strange. And we think it warped the block because we thought maybe the head gasket was leaking or something even though there wasn’t any signs of it so we took everything apart and went to put it back together and the cylinder head and block wouldn’t mate together anymore they were uneven. Very strange. And cool didn’t know your family was from Roanoke 😎.
My friend has a 94 4.0 that he rebuilt at 210k miles......now it has way over 300k on it and still runs great...

It's OK to not like something, or someone, it doesn't have to rise to hate immediately. Hate is something entirely different than not like.

My friend has a 94 4.0 that he rebuilt at 210k miles......now it has way over 300k on it and still runs great...
Yeah most of them run forever. My neighbor had his 1995 repoed the other day unfortunately he was financing it after he bought it from an independent dealer. I was told in 2001 they used just whatever parts they had and didn’t really care since they were the last of the Cherokee so we think that has something to do with ours doing what it did.

Anyone that uses a phrase such as, "why do you buy junk cars?" isn't worth an answer, or your company. Seriously. You've got some dimwitted acquaintances. Lots of Chrysler vehicles have LOOKED like junk over the years, but no worse than any other brand.

Look the guy has a cash cow. I can understand it and he has the in your face style.
But to hang on his every word is nuts.
Plus most of his nonsense is opinion. Hey to each his own right???
I wonder if his earlier videos were different--I suspect many of the youtubers needed some time to settle into their style.

In the end I suspect they often are not far removed from actors--they found a shtick that sells. Good for them, but like in everything, be careful of what you believe, fact check, cross check and all that.

I wonder if his earlier videos were different--I suspect many of the youtubers needed some time to settle into their style.

In the end I suspect they often are not far removed from actors--they found a shtick that sells. Good for them, but like in everything, be careful of what you believe, fact check, cross check and all that.
I can't agree more.
He is entertainment and he worked hard to get to that level.
That said, what you said above!

I think it's hit or miss. They cost less up front for a reason. If one gets lucky they are ahead--if not, the money saved can be spent on repairs, and with luck, still be ahead. I've thought the Pentastar, with 6AT FWD or 8AT RWD, by all accounts, was well received.

All makers have bad spells. It's just that, for Chrysler, it started in the Malaise era, and by all accounts, didn't stop until recently.

2001 Civic was junk, we had one, couldn't keep a/c in it, and it's the only vehicle that can rust out a CV axle that I've heard of.
The curse of the '57s, Supton. Much longer back than the Malaise Era. I love 'em but I don't think they ever fully came back from that. A deal with the devil.

Scotty Kilmer...

He'll tell his viewers all sorts of innacuracies,

Like how the "2.4 World Gasoline Engine is an Italian design from Fiat" (WRONG - it was a joint effort with Hyundai and Mitsubishi).

He's also said that the "Pentastar V6" is a garbage Italian engine (WRONG -- it was designed by Chrysler and Mercedes)

He'll tell you how the minivans are famous for blowing transmissions (this was true in the 90s, but that was 20 years ago....the 6 speed auto has been fine... the 9 speed Chrysler currently uses isn't amazing, but it is also used by Honda and Acura).

Basically, an old guy spouting off old, uninformed opinions to ignorant viewers.
And ALWAYS conflating the Sebring/200 with the Fiat based 200 without pointing out they are completely different platforms.
Scotty pumps out mis-information on them to keep his Mopar hate [ and views ] alive.

And not very dependable for knowledge either Jim. You wouldn’t believe the customers we have come in that say oh a really reputable guy on YouTube named Scotty Kilmer who has been a professional mechanic for over 50 years said this so that is what I want done and we have to tell them he isn’t then they call us bias and get mad and leave. 🤣🙂.
Be grateful.
Ain' nobody got time for that

It's about averages. The average FCA is lower quality than the major competitors, though you can get a lemon from any brand or just beat the heck out of it and have unreasonable expectations.

That's true. I have a Subaru Forester with nonfunctional air conditioning that no one can figure out.

The Grand Cherokees (ZJ generation) got a bad rap for always blowing the computer. As I've learned from years of playing with that era of Jeep, the downsteam oxygen sensor wiring on the 4.0L models will fall out of the clip and rub the driveshaft. When it shorts out, instead of blowing a fuse, it pops the computer.

I haven’t had good experience with the 2001 Cherokee considering the engine went at 108,000. I have heard nothing but bad from most modern Mopar owners but we have a lot of people that like them here. Personally I would not go near another one with a 10 foot pole. Everyone calls me bias but it’s just from my experience and when you know Mopar mechanics and salesman you would understand too. And since I started at the independent shop it has been our 3rd most worked on vehicle brand anything with a Mopar. 🍿. 🙂.

The tooling for the engine blocks was getting worn. It's not uncommon to have 6 different sized pistons in a later 4.0. A lot of them had horrendous piston slap from the factory because the bores weren't round. A lot of them will shatter pistons for the same reason. I've had quiet ones and I've had loud ones. Mine has just started to slap a bit with 214000 miles on it. Luckily it seems all of 85 miles a year so I don't expect to wear it out, but frequent trips to the rev limiter may have other plans for the pistons.

And ALWAYS conflating the Sebring/200 with the Fiat based 200 without pointing out they are completely different platforms.
Scotty pumps out mis-information on them to keep his Mopar hate [ and views ] alive.
Yeah I caught that also....being old at 67? maybe he gets confused or just mixed up....the 2.4 world engine was Korean about 80 percent and 20 percent from Japan from what i read some years back.....
One video....."This is the worst car ive ever worked on" 2 weeks later "This is the worst car ive ever worked on" of course it will be a GM or Chrysler auto.

Anyone that uses a phrase such as, "why do you buy junk cars?" isn't worth an answer, or your company. Seriously. You've got some dimwitted acquaintances. Lots of Chrysler vehicles have LOOKED like junk over the years, but no worse than any other brand.
They watch way to many Scotty video's

If nothing else at least Chrysler is stepping it up in the looks dept. Even the minivan looks like a low riding SUV
1614967398863.jpg

Consumer Reports doesn't get much respect on "Bob" but maybe you'd like to hear their ratings of auto manufacturers anyway. The 7 top rated companies are a bit of a surprise with Mazda, BMW, Subaru, Porsche, Honda, Lexus and Toyota in that order. I wouldn't have thought BMW or Porsche would rate that high, or Lexus and Toyota that low.

But guess who is number 8 - Chrysler.

And number 14 - Dodge.

Jeep didn't do too well at 29 (of 32). But then neither did Chevrolet at 24, Ford at 25, or GMC at 26. The "tail end Charlie's" don't come as much of a surprise though with Land Rover at 31 and Alfa Romeo at 32.

These ratings are current as of April 2021.

Last edited:
Back