Who's still rockin' a turntable?

A true classic.
I am fairly confident my Technics 1210 was part of a pair, used by a Russian guy who did some DJ work. The thing is in wonderful mechanical shape and works well.

I'm not so much amazed by quality digital music and the ability to stream it, from say, Amazon Music Unlimited Ultra HD that my wife uses on a daily basis.

I am amazed that the old stuff, honed to a high degree of quality, utilizing a single mechanical diamond needle cartridge, running over a groove in an ancient plastic disk, providing a very weak analog signal, equalized by a crude circuit via a couple of 12AX7 tubes, , , can produce an amazingly pleasing sound, with more than adequate stereo separation, that even my 16 year old nephew agrees, sounds really fun, nothing at all like today's compressed and computer generated stuff.

Bowie's "A Space Oddity" is such a pleasure, cracks, pops and all. Off I go into another world. And he says, Whoa! That's cool. I've never heard anything like that.

My relatively inexpensive setup sounds much the same as this (if you choose HD on YouTube) and maybe with even more range. Listen via your best speakers or headphones!

Back