Who's running High Performance Lubricants (HPL) products in their engine?

Just got mine today for my snowmobile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121-163852.jpg
    Screenshot_20230121-163852.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 46
I see the new "no vii" seems to be the new favourite. What version (pcmo, euro, no vii etc) would you all recommend for a hemi that sees -5F in the winter when cold and the occasional 250F when towing my RV in the summer?

If the oil stays in the pan the Euro 5w30.

Thank you. By "oil stays in the pan" I take it you mean that there is no oil loss? My truck doesn't lose any oil that I'm aware of right now. Hasn't seemed to drop a mm below the full line on the dipstick where I filled it last Sep and have since put on a few thousand miles.

I'm a little surprised as I would have guessed the "no vii" would have worked better for towing and high heat, I'm sure there is something I'm missing.

Thank you. By "oil stays in the pan" I take it you mean that there is no oil loss? My truck doesn't lose any oil that I'm aware of right now. Hasn't seemed to drop a mm below the full line on the dipstick where I filled it last Sep and have since put on a few thousand miles.

I'm a little surprised as I would have guessed the "no vii" would have worked better for towing and high heat, I'm sure there is something I'm missing.
You said -5F as your climate. I would want some VII in that temperature.

With a hemi v-8 @ -5F i might go 0w-30

We make a Euro 5w30 in the No VII series.

I guess I didn't read that website carefully. I see now that you offer PCMO, Euro, "no vii euro" and "no vii pcmo".

I'm running your PP PCMO 0w-30 since last sep as I do two oil changes per year depending on summer/winter, but when I swap out to summer oil for towing would you recommend "plain euro" or "no vii euro"?

So I am going to jump on this train after the 5k OCI of PP 5w40 is done on the truck since what I would buy from HPL is pretty much the same price I paid for PP 5w40. Would it be more beneficial to use a HPL oil with the quart of the engine cleaner or should I just use a bulk 5w30 oil instead?

So I am going to jump on this train after the 5k OCI of PP 5w40 is done on the truck since what I would buy from HPL is pretty much the same price I paid for PP 5w40. Would it be more beneficial to use a HPL oil with the quart of the engine cleaner or should I just use a bulk 5w30 oil instead?
Personally i would not use the engine cleaner with the HPL oil, no reason you can't but it wont do anymore than their oil will. The cleaner cleans slower than the HPL oil. The idea of the cleaner is to add it , or run it before switching to HPL oils.

Run an oci of your oil with the cleaner , then switch to HPL. Having said that , i didn't and went straight to the oil.

So far a couple of members with well maintained engines, find that the esters and an's still clean a huge amount, maybe from the piston ring lands. Carbonaceous debris has been found in filters. I'm on my first run in 2 cars, and i will change out the oil the first time at 5-7k miles.

Last edited:

I jumped straight to the HPL oil. I'm on my first run of it and it's very dark,with only 3000 miles.

Personally i would not use the engine cleaner with the HPL oil, no reason you can't but it wont do anymore that their oil will. The cleaner cleans slower than the HPL oil. The idea of the cleaner is to add it , or run it before switching to HPL oils.

Run an oci of your oil with the cleaner , then switch to HPL. Having said that , i didn't and went straight to the oil.

So far a couple of members with well maintained engines, find that the esters and an's still clean a huge amount, maybe from the piston ring lands. Carbonaceous debris has been found in filters. I'm on my first run in 2 cars, and i will change out the oil the first time at 5-7k miles.
Cool so running a no frills 5w30 & the cleaner, with 2 filter changes during the period if needed isn't a bad idea then. I have a top mounted cartridge so filter changes are super easy. I want to pull a valve cover but if ain't broke, plus there is a lot stuff in the way just to do that. I may play around with that borescope I got though and see what it shows.

Truck calls for 5w30 Dexos I, so it seems like the Premium line is the best bet, unsure whether I should go 0w30 or stick with 5 though since I am sure they are equal in strength and it really doesn't get too cold in PA like say Iowa or North Dakota.

HPL 10w30 in my '87 Supra Turbo(lucky to see 1k miles a year)
HPL Premium 0w20 in my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid as of the 90k mark

The honda drinks a little oil. I never bother topping it off as it doesn't go under the low mark(5k miles) but curious if the HPL makes any difference after a few runs.

Cool so running a no frills 5w30 & the cleaner, with 2 filter changes during the period if needed isn't a bad idea then. I have a top mounted cartridge so filter changes are super easy. I want to pull a valve cover but if ain't broke, plus there is a lot stuff in the way just to do that. I may play around with that borescope I got though and see what it shows.

Truck calls for 5w30 Dexos I, so it seems like the Premium line is the best bet, unsure whether I should go 0w30 or stick with 5 though since I am sure they are equal in strength and it really doesn't get too cold in PA like say Iowa or North Dakota.
If I’m understanding things correctly from messages I’ve sent to David, unless you require the premium VII with an extremely oil taxing engine that requires the extra shear stability the standard line of PCMO is all you need

Personally i would not use the engine cleaner with the HPL oil, no reason you can't but it wont do anymore than their oil will. The cleaner cleans slower than the HPL oil. The idea of the cleaner is to add it , or run it before switching to HPL oils.

This

Back