Who's running High Performance Lubricants (HPL) products in their engine?

I've been meaning to buy a bottle of the engine cleaner to make a YT video on cleaning out the engine of an 08 Buick Lacrosse with 120K on the clock. Would change the oil till it comes out clean and then run the product to see what it breaks up into the pan and if the color changes. I'll get to it eventually.

I've been meaning to buy a bottle of the engine cleaner to make a YT video on cleaning out the engine of an 08 Buick Lacrosse with 120K on the clock. Would change the oil till it comes out clean and then run the product to see what it breaks up into the pan and if the color changes. I'll get to it eventually.
I don't think that will prove or disprove anything. I think the better way to go would be before and after pictures.

Well, I am now, lol.

Current applications are:
1. 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4L - HPL Super Car 0w-40
2. 2019 RAM 1500 Sport 5.7L - HPL Super Car 0w-20 (same additive package, lighter oil)
OCI length will continue to be the OLM because both are still under warranty.
I take it no warranty concerns with the 392 and if you develop the Hemi Tick or some other engine issue? Sticking to the OLM and not the 6months/6k miles?

Asking as a 2021 392 owner that wants to run HPL.

Running HPL EC it in 4 vehicles right now.
Mileage range of vehicles 50K to 240K

plan on running EC around 2-3K.

2021 Chevy Duramax 3500 DRW
HPL 5w-40 CK-4
20,000 miles (per UOA)

2014 Dodge Durango 3.6L
HPL 5w-20 CK-4
20,000 miles (per UOA)

2016 Dodge Charger 3.6L
HPL 5w-30 CJ-4
20,000 miles (per UOA)

John Deere 7830 6.8L
HPL 15w-40 CK-4 cold climate
~500 hours (per UOA)

John Deere 9670 STS 9L
~500 hours (per UOA)

John Deere 8760 10.1L
~500 hours (per UOA)

I take it no warranty concerns with the 392 and if you develop the Hemi Tick or some other engine issue? Sticking to the OLM and not the 6months/6k miles?
No, but I have an extremely good relationship with my dealer (friends with the owner). The 6 month schedule is insane, but probably best to follow for safety's sake if you don't have that kind of relationship. This is my 4th 392, none of them have ever made any noise, though I did have the oil pressure sensor for the VCT fail on my 2014.
Asking as a 2021 392 owner that wants to run HPL.
Understood.

Because you are in the US, you are protected from having your warranty terminated just because you used something out of spec. However, they can deny engine warranty coverage if something goes sideways and you aren't using an approved lubricant.

That said, on the approvals front, the manual uses the word "recommended" several times in the oil spec area:
FCA said:
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN.

The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 engine or equivalent Mopar oil meeting the FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.

But then this is followed by:
FCA said:
Use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 engine or equivalent Mopar oil meeting the FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.

Which sounds like they require MS-12633.

If I were in your position, I'd have a conversation with the Service Manager of my dealer and see what he would do in the event of an engine-related warranty issue (like it eating a lifter).

I should have been more clear. What I meant was under the valve cover before and after pictures. Some of these products are dark by nature and change oil color darker just by mixing with the oil. So to me pictures of oil color don't mean much. But it's tough to dispute honest before and after under the valve cover pictures to determine if something that claims to clean engines cleans engines.

I also can't blame people for not posting before and after pictures like I mentioned above. Pulling a VC can be a real PITA, maybe a bore scope before and after picture, or series of pictures as the miles add up with the product in use. The bottom line for me, I take oil color comments and pictures with a big grain of salt.
Good points. I have a borescope so a before and after from the crank case through the drain plug hole and if there is space through the oil filler in the valve cover could be helpful.

Have the engine cleaner in my 05 Honda Element 2.4l, 04 Expedition 5.4l 2v, and my 93 C1500 5.7l. The Honda has the most miles on it at around 2k miles on it, had my son change the filter at 1600 miles. The C1500 is close to 1500 miles, will have the filter changed out soon, and the Expedition has around 500 miles on it. Will be doing 5k mile oci on all of them.

2014 tundra. 244k miles.
HPL 5w30 HDEO

Tons of heavy towing and offroading. Currently have 12k on the oil. Changed filter at 8k and topped off. Was burning a bit of oil due to a clogged pcv valve. Changed it out and not a drop used since. Filter had no carbonaceous build up or gunk like others have had, engine was already clean internally.

Cub cadet z force sx 60in
Kawasaki fr730v
HPL 20w50 HDEO

Break in oil and filter changed at 5 hours. Currently have 2.5hrs on the oil.

Have the engine cleaner in my 05 Honda Element 2.4l, 04 Expedition 5.4l 2v, and my 93 C1500 5.7l. The Honda has the most miles on it at around 2k miles on it, had my son change the filter at 1600 miles. The C1500 is close to 1500 miles, will have the filter changed out soon, and the Expedition has around 500 miles on it. Will be doing 5k mile oci on all of them.
You going to cut the filters open to see how much debris they have?

2015 MB GLA 45 AMG
2K miles prior to oil change: Engine cleaner (with Castrol 0-40 Euro, 4k on oil when I removed 1 qt and poured in the cleaner).
Currently, 0-40 Super Car Engine Oil, 5-10k depending on how it looks at the 5k mark.

Back