Who's Looking Forward to the Release of the 2022 Subaru WRX?

So far it SEEMS as if the top trim GT is CVT only.
So this ultimate driver's car that I need to power through Tail of The Dragon in to appreciate is equipped with a CVT? Bahahaha! Tell me more about "what this car is about ". As a former z06 and 370z owner, I'm finding it hilarious at this point.

The CVT is the spiritual descendant of a high stall powerglide. Total drag racing application if there ever was one, ironically.

Maybe it will have programmed fake "gears" for the hardcore enthusiast? Lol! This is just too good. It gains 3hp, impersonates the Pontiac Aztec, and goes automatic only in the top trim. A crappy belt/chain style CVT with old school tech, at that. Just....oof.

Oh wait...it gained some ground clearance too, didnt it? Tell me again how my R4P isnt a competitor? It looks like Subaru is trying to take a shot st me, lmao!

Nissan and the 400z are like a slap in the face to this.

Last edited:
So this ultimate driver's car that I need to power through Tail of The Dragon in to appreciate is equipped with a CVT? Bahahaha! Tell me more about "what this car is about ". As a former z06 and 370z owner, I'm finding it hilarious at this point.

The CVT is the spiritual descendant of a high stall powerglide. Total drag racing application if there ever was one, ironically.
it’s the ideal track transmission when set up to do so lol. williams was about to murder the competition in 1993 and when the FIA got news of it CVTs were banned at the scene.

it’s the ideal track transmission. williams was about to murder the competition in 1993 and the FIA got news of it CVTs were banned at the scene.
This is why the top records at every track are held by CVTs, yes?

Ps. A formula 1 car is not the same.

Not a WRX fan, but It would seem with turbo you want fast shifts to be fast on the TRACK and keep it on the boil.

I would agree, that for around town and highway "sporty" casual usage you would likely enjoy a MT more.
At least I would.

Not a WRX fan, but It would seem with turbo you want fast shifts to be fast on the TRACK and keep it on the boil.

I would agree, that for around town and highway "sporty" casual usage you would likely enjoy a MT more.
At least I would.
One would think so, but the CVT WRX traps several mph slower than the manual. It is what it is. I think the new WRX is a horrible debacle. CVT, 3 more hp, Aztec body styling. The 400Z is a no-brainer. "Oh, what if I need AWD for the snow!" Cool. Buy the outback. After all, it has the same engine and transmission, ROFL!

They really went CVT route? Does it come with a cane as standard equipment?
Finally we agree on something. Also, Subaru's CVT is trash. Literally the only CVT I am aware of that is not, is Toyota's, as it's all gears and zero belts/chains, you change the fluid like a diff, it handles stoopid torque, and they don't break. Subaru? nope.

This is why the top records at every track are held by CVTs, yes?

Ps. A formula 1 car is not the same.
you said the cvt is an ideal drag transmission, it’s the ideal transmission for anything. just not the way they’re made for passenger cars

you said the cvt is an ideal drag transmission, it’s the ideal transmission for anything. just not the way they’re made for passenger cars
Okay, technically yes, you're right, and also, yes, you're right. A Subaru CVT isn't the best for much of anything but mpg in a light car.

So far it SEEMS as if the top trim GT is CVT only.
This is the biggest blunder they’ve made, and I don’t understand it.

Perhaps the biggest “oof”, as our buddy @Ws6 likes to say, is that the Recaro sport seats that are available (or perhaps standard, I’m not sure) on the top-level WRX GT, are available solely in combination with the CVT 🤦🏼‍♂️

More than anything else, this causes me to seriously question their connection to the enthusiast base of this car.

Just an utterly tone deaf decision.

Last edited:
The Miata is renowned as one of the greatest sports cars ever built. I'll take the word of countless enthusiasts, journalists, magazines, and my own personal experience over yours.
The Miata still looks like a chick car in every form. IMBHO the only series Mazda ever excelled with is the RX line. Only one I'd ever want anyway...

Don’t get me wrong about the CVT. I really like the one in my ‘14 FXT. In Sport mode it finds a rev, maxes out boost, and just goes. I‘ll reserve my judgement of this SPT (CVT) until I actually drive one.

Don’t get me wrong about the CVT. I really like the one in my ‘14 FXT. In Sport mode it finds a rev, maxes out boost, and just goes. I‘ll reserve my judgement of this SPT (CVT) until I actually drive one.
My point is that the argument for it being a driver's car and "I know its slow, but the feeeels, maaan!" Just died a gnarly death. Now its just a poorly executed 4 door sedan with a stiff suspension and early 2000s styling at a bargain price.

Back