Who's Looking Forward to the Release of the 2022 Subaru WRX?

I owned a 2016 WRX for 3 years, from 2016-2019, and, while I ended up selling it because I was getting married, I've missed having a small, quick, manual transmission car.

While I had a few gripes with the car, they were few (inadequate brakes, rev hang, bad factory tune). The good things about the car far outnumbered the not-so-good, and I still think it's one of the best performance cars you can get for the money, and it also offers a LOT of utility, with 4 full doors and the capability to mount roof rack, and hidden 2" receiver hitch.

I also like the fact that the powertrain is unique, and symmetrical. I think that adds a lot to the handling, which was my favorite part of the car, despite the fact that it was also pretty quick (0-60 in mid-5-second range, conservatively; 144 mph top speed). Steering, ergonomics, seating position, and interior room were all excellent.

Also never had any mechanical problems with it, after they finally diagnosed high-RPM noise that was eventually traced to a header stud nut left off at the factory. And I beat the heck out of the car many times out on backroads around Tennessee and Western North Carolina.

Was disappointed to hear that the release of the new WRX may be delayed now, since the New York Auto Show has been cancelled (it was supposed to be this week, and the new 2022 WRX was to make its debut, on Thurs. Aug. 19).

Hope they find a venue to announce it and release the specs and details soon.

The new version will feature a version of the 2.4L TGDI engine that's already being used on the Ascent and Outback XT models. It has 260 HP in those cars. The old 2.0 in my 2016 had 268 HP and 258 FT-LBS of torque, so, I'd expect the new car to receive a nice bump in HP and torque. Rumor has it that the torque figure will be >300 FT-LBS.

The brake issues I had on my 2016 (warped rotors leading to juddering on braking) supposedly have at least already been addressed in years since (at some point, I heard that they started putting 2-piece rotors on them). Hopefully the new 2022 will have even better brakes.

My only disappointment as far as what I've heard, is that there's no hatchback version slated. I hope that turns out not to be true, as that would be my preferred body style. Still, even if it's sedan-only, it wouldn't rule out a possible future purchase for me.

I've helped a few people hop their WRX's up. Driven some that moved pretty good.

I could never get over the fact that the Subaru boxer engine sounds like an I-4 only firing on two cylinders...
I think the 2.5L ones sound cool!

The 2016 2.0 I had is the newer FA20 engine, and had the equal-length headers, so, it didn’t have that characteristic, almost off-kilter Subaru thrum.

I think they had to have the equal-length headers on the FA20 because of the twin-scroll turbo.

I thought about modding mine when I had it, but I was always hearing stories about guys blowing theirs up. And I liked my warranty. However, I think the guys who were blowing theirs up pushed their tunes too far. From what I’ve read, the problems with the FA20 usually happen when you tune it to make a ton of low-end torque, and you end up snapping a conrod.

I think if I got one of the new ones, I’d leave it stock for a few years and just enjoy it that way. And then maybe do a mild tune down the road.

A friend of mine has now owned a newer wrx and sti (latest models). Ive driven them both. Both handled well, but otherwise didnt impress me in any way what so ever. Loud. Slow. Horribly fuel inefficient. Buckets of turbo lag on the sti. They make a good city car for people who desire some pep with their awd utility and have a kid so they need 4 doors. Very niche.

The next generation WRX and STI should of came out in 2018-2019 when the new Impreza hit the market. Them keeping the last generation for 3-4 years into the newer generation makes no sense. The current Subaru drivetrains are dumbed down versions of their past ones. The AWD systems are mediocre at best. The high insurance rates on the WRX/STI is because of the vap crowd, one of the reasons I never bought one.

I’m in my late 30s now. I’d prefer a Legacy XT WAGON with 6MT! A RSB, better wheels and a mild tune would make it a fine GT car.

Most modern hatches aren’t very practical if you‘ve got kids in the back seats. There’s just no room behind the back seats!

/

I don’t think it’s been confirmed that the new WRX will get the FA24DIT, but it is expected. I believe I read somewhere (possibly NASIOC) that the FA20DIT in the current WRX would have trouble meeting emission some time in the future and the 2.4 didn’t have that problem. It also makes economic sense for Subaru to spread out just one engine, and not have a single iteration, the FA20, be used in only a single vehicle

I would buy the Golf R over it now.

Interested though because I owned a 2004 WRX Wagon(meh) and wife a 2005 Legacy GT(2.5 turbo) wagon with 5 speed manual we absolutely loved every minute of from 300 miles to 240k miles. No one has built an equivalent car to that Legacy that bridged some comfort and raw mechanical bliss in powertrain. It had no electronics in AWD or diffs etc and lacked traction control with manual.

Subaru should kill the WRX, keep the STi, and finally put a ~300hp turbocharged engine in the BRZ. That is a car I might consider.

Not me.. unless the exhaust note is totally redesigned. Has got to be the most obnoxious exhaust ever. Actually resembles a bullfrog choking on a fly

Yes - the new engine (and most of Subaru's lineup for nearly two decades) has had equal length headers for a while. It will sound like a Honda instead of an old VW.

Back