Who's Looking Forward to the Release of the 2022 Subaru WRX?

Personally, I was expecting something like 285 HP and 300 FT-LBS.

I think you do have a point - they know a lot of these cars do get flogged. Obviously they want it to be durable. And obviously durability goes down as state of tune goes up.

I expect power and torque to be bumped incrementally over the 5-6 year model life. They could do 5 HP/year and in 5 years be close to 300 HP, and more torque too.

They’re gambling that the power was already adequate and a significant increase wasn’t needed. I think they’re right, and this thing will sell plenty.

Ive heard it oft-repeated lately that every new model these days gets piled on in social media when it’s released, and then the vehicle goes on to meet or exceed sales targets.

Just look at the thread here about the new Tundra. Everyone’s trashing it, but I can almost guarantee you that it’ll go on to break sales records.

It’s just how it goes these days. OEMs are having to go more and more radical and different with their designs in order to distinguish themselves from the competition. Folks go, “whoa”, when they see it. Then they get used to it and buy one!

I'm on the fence about the tundra. I actually was excited about it because I am a big fan of the TT V6 approach(I tow with an F150 Ecoboost) but I think Toyota will do a better job of it than Ford.

But I spend time on the Tundra forums and the reception has been pretty luke-warm. You have the die hards who want a port-injected V8 and Toyota will have to rip the 5.7L out of their cold dead hands, and then the rest think its hideous. There are a few that do like it.

I think it will maybe spike for a couple years being new and exciting and then they will continue to sell 150k units like they always did. This new tundra is not a game-changer like the 2007 was.

I'm on the fence about the tundra. I actually was excited about it because I am a big fan of the TT V6 approach(I tow with an F150 Ecoboost) but I think Toyota will do a better job of it than Ford.

But I spend time on the Tundra forums and the reception has been pretty luke-warm. You have the die hards who want a port-injected V8 and Toyota will have to rip the 5.7L out of their cold dead hands, and then the rest think its hideous. There are a few that do like it.

I think it will maybe spike for a couple years being new and exciting and then they will continue to sell 150k units like they always did. This new tundra is not a game-changer like the 2007 was.
Sometimes, things just work. The old 7.3L fords, and 5.3L Chevrolet vortec, and dodge 6.0 cummins, for example. None of the modern subaru engines can really make that claim, though.

😁

Attachments

• Snapchat-1487327757.jpg
    Snapchat-1487327757.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 20
I personally have decided to get the '22. (not the STI) I like the subaru CVT. Its solid. And when you put it in manual but allow it to shift for itself it shifts right at the redline. They have re-designed this CVT just for the WRX. It should be quicker than the manual shift.The FA-24 has been bumped up to 500 HP without changing pistons. Its an extremely solid engine. My understanding is that it puts out more than the 271HP. That will shortly be determined.

It has the Global platform which is 30% more rigid than the old one. TheGlobal platform is not just talk. I have it on my '19 crosstrek. Its impresssive.

I think on the twisties it will be hard to beat by anything...the STI that is. I understand that the STI is around 400HP.

I personally have decided to get the '22. (not the STI) I like the subaru CVT. Its solid. And when you put it in manual but allow it to shift for itself it shifts right at the redline. They have re-designed this CVT just for the WRX. It should be quicker than the manual shift.The FA-24 has been bumped up to 500 HP without changing pistons. Its an extremely solid engine. My understanding is that it puts out more than the 271HP. That will shortly be determined.

It has the Global platform which is 30% more rigid than the old one. TheGlobal platform is not just talk. I have it on my '19 crosstrek. Its impresssive.

I think on the twisties it will be hard to beat by anything...the STI that is. I understand that the STI is around 400HP.
I highly doubt the STI will break low 300s from Subaru.

I’d be very surprised if the new STi was 400 HP.

We’ll see how many WRXs Subaru can actually deliver with the supply chain problems industry-wide right now.

I’d be very surprised if the new STi was 400 HP.

We’ll see how many WRXs Subaru can actually deliver with the supply chain problems industry-wide right now.
The WRX's are made in Japan and perhaps almost the whole supply chain for those is in Japan as well? Our local Subaru dealer has some vehicles in stock atleast. Our local GM dealer has only new loaded small Buick SUV's that are near $50k, and only a few used pickups that are gleaming like new and probably with new pickup prices.

and finally put a ~300hp turbocharged engine in the BRZ. That is a car I might consider.
they can - Toyota’s D4S port/direct injection system can handle boost, it’s used on the GR Yaris and Lexus NX200t/LS500 as well as the new Tundra. Subaru TGDI is still using Hitachi’s GDI system.

Back