Who's got the first frost of the fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A frost (29 degrees) at my house again Sat. morning. Sure glad that we covered the vegetable garden for the second night in a row. We are, this weekend, harvesting much of what's not been harvested yet in our garden. We put up 40 meals of sweet corn (we froze it) last Thur. anToday I harvested 16 winter squash (we have about 11 more left in the garden). Tomorrow we will start to dig up the potato's. My wife picked 6 cabbages today that are almost volleyball size (she grows incredibly large cabbage). We picked, and gave away, about 35 pounds of cukes on Fri. (after putting up about 20-25 jars of pickles). We've been giving away cukes for over a month. Our garden this year is bumper-cropping almost everything that we planted.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:

Wher do you live? I used to live just over "the line" in Burnaby. In one of the "nice" neighborhoods a couple block north of Hastings.

IIRC, North of Hastings is a nice area. I rented in Burnaby for 6yrs and then moved out to Surrey (only place affordable at the time). I'm only about 15mins from the Peace Arch border.

Al,

Don't tell me you believe in that global warming nonsense?
wink.gif

It's still 90F/75F down here in Dixie...no frost until November usually.

TS

Mark, when I was up north in early July, it was light until 11pm. But, when Feb rolls around it will be dark by 4pm.

30C (86F) today in Vancouver.

quote:

Originally posted by NJC:

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:

Wher do you live? I used to live just over "the line" in Burnaby. In one of the "nice" neighborhoods a couple block north of Hastings.

IIRC, North of Hastings is a nice area. I rented in Burnaby for 6yrs and then moved out to Surrey (only place affordable at the time). I'm only about 15mins from the Peace Arch border.

I lived on Pandora, which is 2 blocks north of Hastings. It was an okay neighborhood, though we had grow houses on two sides for a while.
The best thing was that I was only minutes away from Cockney Kings fish & chips....

Frost? What the heck's frost? Yeah, I know, the old expression, "Frost on the pumpkin . . ."

Huh. Down here in The Swamp, the pumpkin sits there sweating like everybody else. I'd love a change of seasons.

Highs past 100F until 10-days ago, and nights in mid-80's. Finally, an inch or more of rain (all day lightly) and highs in mid-80's with low's in the 60's !!!!

"Winter" kicks off here on New Years Eve (several famous ice storms to commemorate such), and is usually over by late February. Spring and fall each last about two weeks.

Summer is another story.
banghead.gif

Last weekend, I was working in shorts and a singlet, taking care for sunburn.

This morning, I drive to work in the snow.

We don't quite get four seasons in one day here...just feels like it.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Last weekend, I was working in shorts and a singlet, taking care for sunburn.

This morning, I drive to work in the snow.

We don't quite get four seasons in one day here...just feels like it.

Translation for mah fellow Americans

Singlet = Wife beater shirt.

Autumn is nice here in New England...looking forward to it after a pretty warm summer...trees should start turning here in NH within the month

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back