Who makes this oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually always check my oil level weekly, especially before going on a road trip, but I didn't this weekend. I actually forgot until I was on the interstate. I kept thinking, what if I threw a rod because the oil is low. 1qt of oil vs the cost of a new motor...I think we all know the answer to this. I have Val Synpower in there now and I'm pushing it to 8k (my first long oci because I use dino MC5k). After trying to push on in my 2hr road trip and ignore my oil nerves racking my brain, I finally gave in and pull off on the next exit. Low and behold I was down to the "L" line. With no gas station insight and no oil in the trunk, I went to the local FRED's discount store. I picked up the store brand dino 5W-30 to use for the top off. It had the API starburst certification on it so I figured it was good enough for the top off. I went outside and added half a qt to bring it back to the full line and I went back on my way.

My question is, who makes their store brand oil? Tried finding a msds on it but no luck. Even did a google search but nada. I looked on the bottom of the bottle and it had a W with a circle around it. Are any of you familiar with that? I know WPP is clearly stated on the bottom of their bottles, but I've never seen a W with a circle around it.

Thanks. I thought that might be the answer, but wasn't sure. After reading on this site, even if I had to use the full qt. I wouldn't be worried of it hurting anything. I will be changing it out along with a drain & fill with ST Dex-VI at 240k so it will be fine.

I don't know that there are any really bad API certified motor oils. I'm not saying they are all created equal, just saying nothing really bad. Like stated above probably WarrenUnilube relabled Coastal motor oil. I wouldn't sweat a half qt in there.

There used to be a rumor that if you two types of oil, you would end up with a crankcase full of black cottage cheese. When I was 15 and only had a license for a 125cc motorcycle, I mixed Arco Graphite in my CB125 that had a bad shifter seal leak with regular Pennzoil. No black cottage cheese but it did stain the inside of my left shoe black. No clutch problems either. So I think that might be an urban-myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back