Who makes the autozone STP oil filters?

Ive heard different people say Premium Guard and Champion labs. Does anyone have a solid answer with the source?

Going to depend on the stock at your local AZ. Think one will find a mix of both…..

Think the current answer would be champ…..

Going to depend on the stock at your local AZ. Think one will find a mix of both…..
any things to look out for? I just watched 2 youtube videos about the XL and they look like different filters so I see what you mean.

would the champ based stp filters have an e-core like most other champ built 3rd party sold filters? that would be an easy identifier.

STP brand fo my truck did have a Champ labs filter but the newest version is made in China & looks a lot better than the Champ.

In reference to the STP XL, the answer to the question depends on the region/location of the AZ store(s). Locally the XL is made by Champ Labs US and is equivalent in appearance and design to Super Tech MP series filters with silicone adbv. Has been that way for a while now.

In other regions, the XL shows up as a Premium Guard type/made filter like PGXL, very similar to current Microgard Select. You will need to check your local AZ to see the manufacturer in your area.

Last edited:
would the champ based stp filters have an e-core like most other champ built 3rd party sold filters? that would be an easy identifier.
I just installed an STP XL that had e-core and silicone...absolutely identical to the Champ XLs that I also have on the shelf with the exception of the black ADBVs on the Champs which was a documented supply issue a while back. Unknown if those are nitrile or black silicone but the STP for sure was silicone.

......Unknown if those are nitrile or black silicone but the STP for sure was silicone.
From First Brands Champ Labs division, I'm going with black adbv being nitrile with confidence level at least equal to that mentioned above. Black adbv from First Brands have burn tested as nitrile. To this point, only been one exception found to black adbv burn testing as other than nitrile, Toyota OEM Thai Denso. Those have tested as silicone.

Iirc, early on when black adbv substituted on EG and TG, Fram reps claimed the black adbv still silicone. But later proven here to be nitrile. Early on astute members this subforum attributed it to supply chain issues, I can't recall if FB ever did.

Back