Searching for Filters with Holes in center tube

It's getting harder and harder to find filters with holes in the center core instead of louvers. I propose we make a list here. As far as I know as of now on 11/19/2023, Premium Guard is the only filter currently being made with holes in the center core. Champion Labs has a few of their filters with the E-core in their Champ XL line of filters. What else is out there?

It can vary by application. What kind of car do you have? What size filter? :unsure:

Most Frams still have round holes.
German Mann filters still have round holes.
Full (Siam Filter) still uses round holes.

Baldwin uses louvers, but they use a different design than everybody else. Theirs are non-directional and always properly formed :)

Premium Guards have holes-and they're dirt cheap, and hold up pretty well from what people have posted here. Although Ecores have GREAT BIG holes, so maybe that's better?:unsure:

... I propose we make a list here.
I propose you don't. Here's why ...

Filters are changing so quickly that as soon as you list a "feature" (wire backing, center tube holes, syn media, etc) the info will be outdated.
RobVette just posted a video and thread he did that has not one, not two, but THREE distinctly different filters all of the SAME PART NUMBER.

I understand what you're trying to achieve. It's just a fool's errand at this point, and will end up misleading someone instead of helping them, because your list will claim something is present when the filter makers are changing their products faster than a mother changes a newborn's diaper. In theory, it's a great idea. In practical application, it'll be "wrong" faster than you can shake a stick at it. It's not your fault; it's just the nature of the filter market right now. The only constant is change.

My point eximplified by RVs video:

This is truly a what you don't know, won't hurt you ordeal. As I get older, I could care less about dumb crap like this.
Said the guy that's been on an oil-enthusiast website for over a decade ...
I'm just funnin' with ya!

I do understand your POV. There are some things which matter in fact, and others that only matter in someone's head.

Holes or louvers? I don't care either way AS LONG AS the holes are fully punched out, or the louvers are fully opened up. The quality of the process matters far more than the choice of application.

The holes v. louvers thing reminds me of the raging debate from a decade ago ... coil or leaf spring in the bottom of the can? There are some that care deeply, and those who couldn't care less. I have yet to see solid statistically viable proof that it matters one way or another.

It can vary by application. What kind of car do you have? What size filter? :unsure:

Most Frams still have round holes.
German Mann filters still have round holes.
Full (Siam Filter) still uses round holes.

Baldwin uses louvers, but they use a different design than everybody else. Theirs are non-directional and always properly formed :)
The car is a 2000 thru 2005 Buick luh-saw-bray. Filter is roughly 3.5 inches tall by 3.0 inches wide. I usually run the NAPA Platinum made by Affinia. It's got full on wire backed synthetic media with holes in the center core. They're out of production and getting more and more scarce. They have an efficiency rating of 50 percent at 50 microns. Some people call that a rock catcher. I call it a filter I don't have to ever worry about falling apart and cutting off my oil flow.

I picked up a Premium Guard at O'Reilly's the other night. It's got good size holes in the center core. All the cut open pictures on here have looked real good. All the pictures have shown laser straight filter pleats. I'm big on straight pleats.

If the whole industry is moving towards louvers, maybe I should start searching for the best flashlight to inspect the louvers with.

The car is a 2000 thru 2005 Buick luh-saw-bray. Filter is roughly 3.5 inches tall by 3.0 inches wide. I usually run the NAPA Platinum made by Affinia. It's got full on wire backed synthetic media with holes in the center core. They're out of production and getting more and more scarce. They have an efficiency rating of 50 percent at 50 microns. Some people call that a rock catcher. I call it a filter I don't have to ever worry about falling apart and cutting off my oil flow.

I picked up a Premium Guard at O'Reilly's the other night. It's got good size holes in the center core. All the cut open pictures on here have looked real good. All the pictures have shown laser straight filter pleats. I'm big on straight pleats.

If the whole industry is moving towards louvers, maybe I should start searching for the best flashlight to inspect the louvers with.

So you have the 3800

The filter for that car is the Fram 3387A, Wix 51040, Purolator 10111, etc.

You will like the Fram Endurance FE3387A from Walmart. It is wire-backed like the Platinum/XP and also a much better filter too :D

So you have the 3800

The filter for that car is the Fram 3387A, Wix 51040, Purolator 10111, etc.

You will like the Fram Endurance FE3387A from Walmart. It is wire-backed like the Platinum/XP and also a much better filter too :D
I can't remember if the FE3387A has louvers or not. 🤔

Those seem to be decent filters. If you like them, then stock-up on some to last you a few years before they too change, lol.

I totally agree with dnewton3's reply in #8 and I'd like to add to it.

We sometimes focus on features of a filter but in the end performance is paramount; efficiency @ a micron level and life in miles.

The construction of the filter are the enablers of the performance. Manufacturing process capability is critical to getting the same quality level on every unit. A key to great process capability is to have the design be engineered to both function reliably and to make the process reliable. This is why the great companies have both the product and manufacturing engineers working together early in the design phase.

The product engineers are expected to know how many louvers and the minimum opening size is required for the filter to work properly for the vehicles lubrication system. The manufacturing engineers are expected to make a robust process that conforms to the specifications. One business prefers the louvers because they don't have to recover the hole blanks and send them back to a recycler that reduces both cost and is better for the environment. Another business will prefer the nylon cage because it is made in one step through injection molding.

The great thing about our forum is we continually take apart and review filters both when brand new, out of the box, and after use to see how the designs and processes are performing.

^^^ Seems some manufacturing engineers and their supporting QA guys on the floor need to go to louver forming school. 😄

It's getting harder and harder to find filters with holes in the center core instead of louvers. I propose we make a list here. As far as I know as of now on 11/19/2023, Premium Guard is the only filter currently being made with holes in the center core. Champion Labs has a few of their filters with the E-core in their Champ XL line of filters. What else is out there?

Premium Guard branded and their other products like Microgard, Ecogard, Pronto, Parts Plus, Carquest, STP all have holes and have never used louvers from what I have seen as long as it is from Vietnam or China.... also Pentius has always had holes afaik.

I usually physically purchase a filter at a store, so I just will take a peek inside.
I am aware the oil outflow will travel along a pleat fold to "find a hole" but I prefer louvers with spiral channels as it exposes a MUCH greater area of the filter - If the louvers are punched properly.

I do understand if you are buying bulk online you can't examine the contents and you would want something that is proven.
Having worked with with tool and die machinists for years, I can see how a louver roller tool might last longer than a hole punch that requires constant regrind/sharpening and refurbishing.

Back