Who mades the AZ/AAP "AGM" Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering upgrading to an AGM battery,
I pulled up the recommended size for my application (24F), and the Duralast Platinum & AutoCraft Platinum look identical
Identical as in they both came from the same molds, and down the same production line

Any clue who makes them?

Anyone have one, anything to say about them?

They probably do
smile.gif

90% of car batteries are made by only 3 companies.

The AZ/AAP is probably made by Johnson Controls

And keep an eye on Champion, Pepboys typically has a good sale around black friday and they usually offer rebates on Champion so it's cheaper than AZ or AAP.

Originally Posted by NASTI
Both are made by Johnson Controls. Pepboys also has them under the "Champion" brand.

Exactly right ^^^^^

Same battery at AZ...

Originally Posted by Wolf359
And keep an eye on Champion, Pepboys typically has a good sale around black friday and they usually offer rebates on Champion so it's cheaper than AZ or AAP.

Very true ^^^^^^

I have seen a AGM battery aka Champion group 24f for only $134 at Pep Boys around that time of the year... A 4 yr Free replacement warranty too.

Right now Pep Boys has 25% off instantly online (but if requested in-store will apply the same discount), plus a $40 rebate on Champion (and Bosch) AGM batteries. That brings the cost of the 94R / H7 battery for my truck from $194.99 to $106.24; 45% discount total after rebate for DIY installation for my truck. I'm due for a tire rotation and I'll have my OEM 7.5 years in service AGM battery tested and see the % vs original CCA. The full replacement 4 year warranty puts the best yardstick I've come up with, $ / year of warranteed service, at $26.56.

The last Champion brand battery I bought was a problematic spiral cell design sold at Sam's Club around 15 years ago, it eventually was teplaced by a conventional Interstate battery that was still working when I sold that vehicle in 2013. I said that was the last battery with a Champion label I would buy. However, the final $/year of full replacement warranty on this current offer from Pep Boys is too low compared to other options available to me (WM, Sam's Club, Batteries Plus, other auto parts chains) to not try.

For 24F size AGM, similar deal, either Champion or Bosch brand. $194.95 × 0.75 = $146.24. Then $146.24 - $40 rebate = $106.24. Bosch is made by Exide last I knew, I'm not sure who manufactures the Champion labeled batteries currently available but I see other posters say Johnson Controls. (Hello again bbhero!)

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Right now Pep Boys has 25% off instantly online (but if requested in-store will apply the same discount), plus a $40 rebate on Champion (and Bosch) AGM batteries. That brings the cost of the 94R / H7 battery for my truck from $194.99 to $106.24; 45% discount total after rebate for DIY installation for my truck. I'm due for a tire rotation and I'll have my OEM 7.5 years in service AGM battery tested and see the % vs original CCA. The full replacement 4 year warranty puts the best yardstick I've come up with, $ / year of warranteed service, at $26.56.

The last Champion brand battery I bought was a problematic spiral cell design sold at Sam's Club around 15 years ago, it eventually was teplaced by a conventional Interstate battery that was still working when I sold that vehicle in 2013. I said that was the last battery with a Champion label I would buy. However, the final $/year of full replacement warranty on this current offer from Pep Boys is too low compared to other options available to me (WM, Sam's Club, Batteries Plus, other auto parts chains) to not try.

For 24F size AGM, similar deal, either Champion or Bosch brand. $194.95 × 0.75 = $146.24. Then $146.24 - $40 rebate = $106.24. Bosch is made by Exide last I knew, I'm not sure who manufactures the Champion labeled batteries currently available but I see other posters say Johnson Controls. (Hello again bbhero!)

Hey there.... Seriously it's really good to see you on here. I have been wondering if you have been doing ok for awhile now, candidly I have been concerned. I am very glad to see you post again
smile.gif

I made a rack of beef ribs Friday evening that you would have enjoyed I bet.

I had one of those Autozone AGM's in my Volvo when I bought it. It failed... the battery didn't seem that old, so I'm not impressed. I replaced it with a Costco Interstate.

Originally Posted by brages
I had one of those Autozone AGM's in my Volvo when I bought it. It failed... the battery didn't seem that old, so I'm not impressed. I replaced it with a Costco Interstate.

Autozone and Advance Auto AGM batteries just have a 3 year warranty. My JCI battery in my Mercedes is almost 12 years old at this point. Battery life is also dependent on the charging algorithm of the car and also the climate. A fully charged battery will last longer than one that isn't fully charged. I feel that if you fully charge a battery every few months, it should probably last longer.

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
plus a $40 rebate on Champion (and Bosch) AGM batteries.

Thanks for the heads up on the additional $40 rebate. That makes the AGM battery almost the same price as non-AGM.

Originally Posted by Donald
Check out NAPA AGM. Made by East Penn/Deka. Better battery than JCI.

With NAPA you can ask for a discount. But only in person.

Yep. East Penn / Dekas are also made in the USA. I know Napa has a AAA discount of 10%. Sometimes they may double it to 20% depending on what promotions they have going on

just warrantied a 2 year old AGM. It was 6 months old when I bought it (last on the shelf, rolled the dice) and it's never been a strong batt. Even with occasional low-amp 14.5V finishing charges it never seemed strong. I honestly thought the AGM would have held up a little better from the 6 months on the shelf.

I had the marginal test printout results from NTB in my hand and AZ didn't question it - they glanced at it and jogged off to the back to find a replacement. Got one dated last month. Pleased with their service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back