Who in BITOG is a world traveler?

Most overrated: Italy. I mean it's fine, just overcrowded and overrun with Americans. I don't travel internationally to see a crapload of Americans everywhere.
Fodors says to avoid Greece this summer due to over tourism.

I presume the best time to avoid the crowds would be now in the winter, I’d rather go when it’s sparse and cold than warm and you have to wait in lines everywhere.

Most overrated: Italy. I mean it's fine, just overcrowded and overrun with Americans. I don't travel internationally to see a crapload of Americans everywhere.
Oddly even in Napoli we hardly saw any Americans (maybe none??). In Sant Agnelo zero. We did run into a two folks (couple) from Seattle when we were hiking in Paestem which seemed odd! But I think USA people go to Rome and parts north, plus it was October. There was an obnoxious drunken guy from India on the boat when we sailed around from Sorrento to stops along the Amalfi. No Americans, lots of sedate Germans. So I still recommend that. Stay in some kind or house or apartment where you can cook. Amazing experience IMHO. Yes, some little Italian is helpful. My wife thinks so at least.

All states excep for 9
Canada
Bahamas
Mexico
Norway
Sweden
Hawaii
Wake island
Okinawa
England
Germany
Poland
Hungary
Bosnia
Albania
Kosovo
Macedonia
All Emirates in UAE
Czechoslovakia
Spain
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
Denmark
Saudi
France
Turkey
Iraq
Kuwait
Belgium
Holland

I to have been around the globe.

Oddly even in Napoli we hardly saw any Americans (maybe none??). In Sant Agnelo zero. We did run into a two folks (couple) from Seattle when we were hiking in Paestem which seemed odd! But I think USA people go to Rome and parts north, plus it was October. There was an obnoxious drunken guy from India on the boat when we sailed around from Sorrento to stops along the Amalfi. No Americans, lots of sedate Germans. So I still recommend that. Stay in some kind or house or apartment where you can cook. Amazing experience IMHO. Yes, some little Italian is helpful. My wife thinks so at least.
Yes, things are much better in Europe in the shoulder seasons (fall/spring) so long as you go at a time when it's not overly cold. That can make sightseeing miserable.

*Going to Germany Christmas markets excepted. Better to have snow then, you can drink the hot mulled wine and things will be good. Unless it gets really really cold, we high tailed it back to the penzion one time in Rothenburg when it was -18c, that was just too cold to see the castle.

Where have I / we been:
  • Lower 48 USA
    • All except South Carolina and RI
  • Canada
    • All except the Maritimes
  • UK
    • England and Scotland
  • Europe
    • Most, just missing Scandinavia, Poland, Greece and a couple Balkans
  • Asia
    • South Korea (business)
  • South America
    • Brazil, Peru and Argentina
Favorite foreign destination:
  • USA - New England, really liked Vermont (October 2023), might be our #1 state now.
  • UK - London
  • Europe
    • Summer - France, both the countryside and Paris
    • Winter (Xmas) - Prague (Czech) and Budapest (Hungary) tied, love the Xmas markets, food, culture, history, etc.
    • Off the beaten track (not so much now though, it has been "discovered") - Croatia
  • South America
    • City - Sao Paulo, yeah it has a tough reputation but we loved it, people were great, the size and density are impossible to describe but definitely awesome to behold.
Scandinavia is on our near term list, hope to get there in the next few years. Singapore is on our city bucket list, maybe tie that into Australia if we ever get that way. Time is running out and it is getting harder to travel every year as we get older so we will see.

Been to most of the EU as I lived there for the better part of a decade. Been to most of the ME as I lived there for the better part of the next decade. Did a semester of college in Ukraine.

I'd like to travel the US for a while. I've lived overseas for more than half my life and the cost of international tickets for my family of 5 is a little overwhelming.

Fodors says to avoid Greece this summer due to over tourism.
We went to Greece in late September of 2018 and it was fantastic, not overcrowded at all.

And the weather was good for the most part, upper 70s in the daytime and 60s at night. Although the last day the wind came up very strongly and the boat ferries did not run, we were on Santorini at the time. Subsequently to getting the text message about the boat I looked at flight back to Athens for $550 euro for the two of us, we balked. Well the boats diidn't run the next day, or the day after that, by then the flights were impossible. We missed our flight back to the US on Turkish. They wanted more to rebook than Qatar did for a new 1 way through Doha. So we went that route.

In hindsight taking the 550EUR flight back to Athens would have saved us at least $2000 between the cost of flights, extra hotel nights in Santorini, food, drinks, car rentals, and so forth. But that said there are way worse places to be stuck than Santorini. Haha. We had a freaking blast on our extra days there! We rented a car and explored the lsland, went to every winery on the map, watched the sunset every night over dinner in Oia on the cliffs. Yeah, it was good, even if a bit costly. The money is long since paid off but the memories will be with us for the rest of our lives.

While we haven't done nearly as much travel as many above, we have been out of the country a number of times.
It's always an adventure to go somewhere you've never been as well as to return to places you've been for a deeper exploration.
Last year late in the summer we spent two weeks visiting Turkey and Georgia. Both very old places with much to see and both producers of good wine.
A week from today we'll be in the DR to board a two week cruise starting 1/29. A cruise is a pretty tame and easy way to get to somewhere warm in winter and we'll visit a number of islands with good snorkeling in warm and clear water. We are especially looking forward to Tobago, with its beautiful shallow reef and the ocean pool, an area of gin clear water with a white sand bottom that's maybe chest deep and warm, with only the occasional fish swimming out in the open water.

Does Mexico and The USA count as the world?
1000002969.jpg

I had the opportunity to go when I was in school for the summer trip. I can’t remember the exact spots. I think it was London, Paris and Rome if I’m not mistaken it was going to be like a month long journey but also costed $5,000+. I’m not big into traveling so I declined the invite. No way I’m stepping foot on an airplane. The only reason I want to travel these days is to go see all the MLB teams play and visit every MLB stadium and eventually go to the Hall of Fame. Other than that I have no interest in traveling. I always get a very empty feeling on trips and I don’t know why so being gone for a long period would not be good for me. I guess traveling got ruined for me when I was coming into my teens because I especially don’t like setting down at restaurants especially ones in places we aren’t familiar with so I prefer to eat fast food on trips and be at the hotel most of the time. Well everyone I travel with thinks we have to go try new places out so that makes me very sick feeling on the inside. So I don’t like traveling. Maybe one day I can get over that but until I do I’ll never be a world traveller especially to other countries where travel by plane is required.

I am headed to NS, NB, and NF destination St. Johns within this year.

BTW if you go to Scandinavia, do...not...miss Iceland!
Iceland is definitely on the list, we are thinking of a standalone trip for there. West Jet, Canadian carrier, just started flights from Calgary (my hometown and still our travel gateway frequently) to Reykjavik for 2024. Icelandair goes to Toronto, also a hub for us.

Enjoy the Maritimes.

Nothing crazy like some of the guys here but I've been to a fair number of places:
Canada
Guatemala (work)
Honduras (work)
England
France (it's terrific don't listen to the haters lol)
Italy (concur with above, Tuscany is, if not the best, nearly the best place on Earth. Splendid. Spent a day on a Ducati there a few years ago)
Sweden (9x for work)
The Netherlands (personal and work)
Belgium
Germany
Switzerland
South Korea (work)
Japan (work, 2x just a layover at the airport, 1x an overnight layover near the airport so not sure if this really counts)
Guam (work, same just through the airport)
Saipan (work)

jeff

Back