Who has used the screwdriver thru the filter removal technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac

I'll bet the process continued when a buyer showed up for that car they took the mount off of.

So many stories from that era. A common salesman line was "We'll take care of that before you drive it off the lot."

I knew the dealer and all the people well. They took both keys to that car and locked them in the safe with a note.

When the part arrived it was fixed and keys were hung on the wall with all the others.

Only problem is getting in on and off the lift when it could not be driven. lots of days only one very good mechanic.

Rod

Too many times to count.
grin.gif

Rassen Frassen Rat's OF is too deep to get a screw driver through. I had to buy a 10$ filter wrench. I can't remember ever using a tool on any filter I have installed. !/4 turn past snug on an oiled gasket .
grin2.gif

I've never encountered such a filter. I went through my records and find I've done over 400 oil changes in my lifetime.

Yep, ran into a couple back in the 80's and 90's after buying used cars,(first thing I do is change the oil).
No internet back then, I think most people didn't Know or follow the correct oil filter installation protocol.
grin2.gif

I have!

Mostly when changing the oil on a newly-purchased used car for the first time after a life of quicky lube oil changes where they screw on the filter as tight as possible.

Not exactly, but I usually punch a hole into the bottom of my giant 7.3 diesel filter before removing to let it drain. Makes for much less of a mess this way!

Originally Posted by rollinpete

No internet back then, I think most people didn't Know or follow the correct oil filter installation protocol.
grin2.gif

Not sure if joking but they put little pictograms on the box or can itself.
wink.gif

I've never had a car that doesn't dribble enough oil on the mount so as to not be self-lubricating of the new o-ring. Someone would have to get a rag in there to clean everything and if they're expending that much effort they could lube the new gasket.

I did once on my Camry after I bought it. As Miller88 said, it turned into a can opener.

Found my filter wrench and finally somehow got it off with that.

I've done it but I'm always scared if the filter won't come off and I destroy the can I need to tow the vehicle at that point so I would rather use a rubber band style wrench on it or a steel band filter wrench

Last edited:
I've done this a time two way back in the day.
Today, there are better tools for removing a stubborn spin-on.

I did once on a Ford Fiesta. I barely got it off at all. I had so much trouble getting it off I dented the front fender which led to the discovery that the dealer (doing an autobody repair a few months earlier) had forgotten to put undercoating on the back side of the fender. Seems undercoating was necessary to maintain adequate rigidity. When I pointed that out they offered to put undercoating on the back of the now dented fender. They had also forgotten to put rock guard along the bottom of the fender, didn't get the fender on straight, and left out the block that aligned the hood.

I didn't thank that was entirely fair and insisted they take the dent out first. They did but only painted the affected area leaving an interesting orange peel effect. They also broke off the aerial but propped it up again apparently hoping I wouldn't notice.

When I pointed out the broken aerial, the service manager replaced the aerial but in doing so ripped out the under-dash pad in such a way that it fell down repeatedly thereafter.

When I expressed some disquiet over the whole episode, the service manager said "What do you expect, you buy a cheap car and then you say we did a bad job". I replied, "I didn't say you did a bad job, What I said was you forgot to put undercoating on the back of the new fender, misaligned the new fender, forgot to put rock guard along the bottom of the new fender, left out the alignment block for the hood, left orange peel paint on the new fender, broke my aerial and tore the under dash pad. You said you did a bad job."

And I never went back to that dealer again, and I've never bought another Ford either.

I had to use the technique on a brand new Volare 1979 225 slant six .... and even with the technique it was not enough, I had to use a chisel and a hammer to remove the stupid filter.... Hulk for sure was working at the Plymouth factory

I've done it a few times - and mostly with cars for friends who visit quickie lubes(but I had one of those places change my oil when I broke my elbow the same week of an OCI and I was able to spin the filter off by hand).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back