2015 Impala lug nuts don't fit socket anymore

To anyone is reading this thread, check if you have two-piece lug nuts on your vehicle and change them out for one-piece now, before you have any issues.
Absolutely.

Had I ended up with a flat and needed to install the spare on the side of the road with the lug wrench for the vehicle...I would be out of luck.

Absolutely.

Had I ended up with a flat and needed to install the spare on the side of the road with the lug wrench for the vehicle...I would be out of luck.

It happened to me out in the middle of nowhere. Only after about a half hour of cursing the Mopar gods did they finally relent and take pity on me and I was able to grab the tiniest sliver of the edge of a lug nut and turn it enough to loosen it. Wild horses came to visit me and see what all the commotion was about.

Wild Horses.jpg

Eventually (if you're kinda lucky) the cap comes off and then people see the bare hex nut underneath and think they're good, even though it's ugly.

But the hex underneath is also a half size usually. For swollen 19's you use 19.5mm but once the cap is gone you need 18.5mm

If the lugnut is at all overtightened, galls to an alloy rim, has dirty threads or anything else.....and you try to use 19mm on a missing cap you wind up with a ROUND lugnut. That's where the rubber meets the road for PITA factor -- and the drill bits meet the wheel stud:

Thanks.

I wish McGard would come out with more styles to choose from, namely an OE look.

McGard lug nut:

View attachment 190732

OE style lug nut. The McGard has that tapered end and OE is pretty much flush..I like the look of the OE much better, would like to find a set that resembles the OE

View attachment 190733

Will definitely do this.
A Dorman 611-011 might get you there. I can't tell from the pic if it's 2-piece? Amazon reviews would probably say

I was told this is caused by using air tools on them, not sure how true that is.
I would say absolutely, to an extent. It gets worse with tire shops that hammer it home and then hammer some more.

But more than that I say who cares because designing lugnuts that can't withstand impact use is terrible engineering and 100% unrealistic....esp when the solution is well-known and painfully simple: just make a solid nut.

Oh and KL Cherokees suffer this, too, on their lug bolts.

I just received this from Amazon for my parents' '18 KL.

McGard hasn't done anything with the KL lug bolt market, but tons of options on Amazon and in the aftermarket.

You want to be sure you get at least 25mm length (28mm is stock but 25 is perfectly fine) and retain 22mm hex size. Lots of aftermarket are 21mm or19mm hex.
20231129_112425.jpg

2015 10th Gen Impala, went to remove the wheels and the socket barely goes over the chrome caps.

??

I've had the car for almost a year but 1st time needing to remove a wheel.

Pretty much all the lugs are like this.

View attachment 190715

View attachment 190716

22MM, no chance, 7/8" still no go, 15/16 goes over but too loose to use unless I use a small piece of metal to take up some slop.

I have to replace all these?
"I suspect what you are dealing with are the 2-piece lugnuts which have a stamped metal cap pressed onto/over the nut. A little bit of wear and tear, and perhaps some rough handling, can distort the metal cap resulting in it appearing to be swollen. Of course, that can make it difficult to get the lug wrench or socket on there.

I'd say your best bet is to get some new lugnuts to replace the old ones. I don't have a part number, but I think you can get 1-piece units which should be more immune to swelling.

As for getting the old ones off, I would try tapping on the impact socket to get it on the swollen nut. Once removed, the tech may have to hammer the old nut out of the socket, but that is a don't-care if the lugnuts are being replaced with new ones. Also, the technician may want to try a larger socket, say 20mm instead of 19. Again, that may damage the (already damaged) cap on the lugnut, but as before, that's a don't care if the nut is being replaced."

Back