2015 Impala lug nuts don't fit socket anymore

2015 10th Gen Impala, went to remove the wheels and the socket barely goes over the chrome caps.

??

I've had the car for almost a year but 1st time needing to remove a wheel.

Pretty much all the lugs are like this.

20231128_160739.jpg

20231128_160748.jpg

22MM, no chance, 7/8" still no go, 15/16 goes over but too loose to use unless I use a small piece of metal to take up some slop.

I have to replace all these?

My uncle ran into this last year at the Lincoln dealer, when he was in for an OC/Rotation...
he was SURE they were trying to scam him...so much he said he wanted the old nuts after they replaced them.
He wanted them to replace JUST the bad ones, but they insisted on replacing all 20 and charging him... some where around $100 IIRC.
he paid it, and they never gave him the old ones...and of course they replaced them with the same OE type...

luckily I still have the ones I took off my Cmax when i bought it, and was able to show him what i meant by 2 pc lug nuts, and explain the issue so he could understand it.

I put a set of Gorillas on my Mustang after I discovered this issue. Fords are really bad about this. But the ones on my canyon, which sits outside 24/7, are doing it too.

My wife's Equinox had the swollen lug nuts too. Dorman made a nice set of one piece lugs that matched the factory ones, found them on Amazon pretty cheap, held up well unlike the rest of the car. :LOL:

I put a set of Gorillas on my Mustang after I discovered this issue. Fords are really bad about this. But the ones on my canyon, which sits outside 24/7, are doing it too.
People say this but it's just based upon experience(s). I first encountered this problem on several 2nd Gen Rams. Ok it's a Dodge thing.

Then TJ's which use identical lug nuts. Ok, it's a Chrysler (Dodge and Jeep) thing.

And a '12 Ram. Ok, still a Dodge thing....

Then an '09 Focus. Ok, it's a Chrysler and Ford thing.

Most recently on a '10 Venza. Ok, it's Chrysler, Ford and Toyota.

You and OP have problems with GM (Impala and Canyon).

Hmm, so far we've got Chrysler, Ford, Toyota and GM. ;)

And I just found 2-piece lugnuts on a '19 Ranger, so apparently manufacturers haven't grown any smarter with time and these are still in use. But I think my '19 JL has solid lugnuts? @4WD, are factory JL lugnuts one piece?

Had this problem with the lugnuts on my 1984 Cavalier. No idea if they're the original lugnuts but they probably are. So it's been a problem for at least 39 years...

This is so common on all 2 piece lugnuts I'd almost be willing to say the 19,21, and 22 half sizes are the most used sockets in my shop. I've heard good things about driven lugnuts from customers. I've been thinking about getting rid of my wheel locks on the Altima and thats what I'll probably order.

Reactions: D60
According to McGard's site you need a 64073

Typically most McGard 4 packs are readily available on Amazon IME

Thanks.

I wish McGard would come out with more styles to choose from, namely an OE look.

McGard lug nut:

Screenshot_20231129_014836_Chrome.jpg

OE style lug nut. The McGard has that tapered end and OE is pretty much flush..I like the look of the OE much better, would like to find a set that resembles the OE

Screenshot_20231129_015008_Chrome.jpg

At the first sign of 2 piece swelling lug nuts, do yourself a favor and replace with 1 piece lug nuts. Don't scrimp, name brand and do all of them.

Will definitely do this.

Reactions: D60
At the first sign of 2 piece swelling lug nuts, do yourself a favor and replace with 1 piece lug nuts. Don't scrimp, name brand and do all of them.

I wouldn't wait for swelling. It might be too late by then. Also the internal rusting might spread to your studs and those are much more expensive to replace. Anyone who has two-piece lug nuts should get rid of them ASAP and replace them with one-piece designs.

It happened to me and I got my whole family new lug nuts and tried to explain it to them.

Thanks.

I wish McGard would come out with more styles to choose from, namely an OE look.

McGard lug nut:

View attachment 190732

OE style lug nut. The McGard has that tapered end and OE is pretty much flush..I like the look of the OE much better, would like to find a set that resembles the OE

View attachment 190733

Will definitely do this.

Dorman might have an "OEFix" one-piece model for your vehicle that looks kind of factory-like. Just make sure you don't get their two-piece factory equivalent model, because that would entirely defeat the purpose.

People say this but it's just based upon experience(s). I first encountered this problem on several 2nd Gen Rams. Ok it's a Dodge thing.

Then TJ's which use identical lug nuts. Ok, it's a Chrysler (Dodge and Jeep) thing.

And a '12 Ram. Ok, still a Dodge thing....

Then an '09 Focus. Ok, it's a Chrysler and Ford thing.

Most recently on a '10 Venza. Ok, it's Chrysler, Ford and Toyota.

You and OP have problems with GM (Impala and Canyon).

Hmm, so far we've got Chrysler, Ford, Toyota and GM. ;)

And I just found 2-piece lugnuts on a '19 Ranger, so apparently manufacturers haven't grown any smarter with time and these are still in use. But I think my '19 JL has solid lugnuts? @4WD, are factory JL lugnuts one piece?
I think they are laminated - BTW … was getting tires for a 2014 Fusion and DT showed me they were warped - but they carried a few since it was common … I bought them from DT …

IMG_1822.jpg

Back