SS spiral clamps on engines with all metric fasteners

Do SS clamps on new engine where they used all metric nuts & bolts ever have a metric head? Most also have a flat blade screwdriver slot. There seems to be two size heads. One for smaller clamps on a gas line and one for larger clamps on cooling system.

I have a set of Xcelite nutdrivers I probably bought 55 years ago that are all SAE. They seem to work on all the clamps I have come across. Maybe at that smaller size SAE and Metric are very similar in size.

I am trying to equip a second tool box and trying so see if I can get away with just 2 individual nutdrivers.

I much prefer a nutdrivers over a screwdriver for a SS spiral clamp.

I recall determining that the 7mm fits many a "worm" clamp.
Really never gave it a deep thought. I just go to the sockets and use the one that fits....kinda what you've done with your nutdrivers.

Follow-up Q:
You say "spiral clamps", I've always heard "worm drive clamps", so that's what I say.
Friends say, "Ideal clamps" -which is a brand name- and the fine folk in the UK call 'em Jubilee clamps (also a brand name?).
Which is most right?

Many clamps are 5/16" which is right close to 8mm.

I bet what you get at auto parts stores is SAE, while OEs might sneak some metric in on you.

Back