Who does your oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, myself, and I on my truck
grin.gif

Previously on my audi the dealer or independent audi shop with me supplying the oil. Now me.

I take it to the local Wal-Mart and supply oil & filter, they change for $11. Cost with supplies is no more than their standard oil change, and I know what is going in the car.

quote:

I never thought those speedy oil change places were too bad, except that some of them will try to substitute Dexron plus some magic additive for other transmission fluids . . .which is bad news. What's your take on this, Andy?

It's quite likely that I will get flamed for this but where I work we do use the various Lubeguard additives to make compatible transmission fluids mixed with DexIII-h. Please note that you can't 'make' every variation of trans fluid with the different Lubeguards. Some types are just not able to be made that way. Some people on here will claim it is an inferior way to service a car. Well I will not argue one way or the other but I will tell you that I have yet to see a single problem related to it and I have not seen any proof on the net that it is in fact inferior to the OEM fluid (aside from one person's opinion on a DCX page). In addition, you would be surprised how many dealers likely go the same route. As a side note, I know of at least one local transmission repair shop that uses Lubeguard products. Until I see real proof that Lubeguard is a bad idea, I don't think I will worry about it too much. I do know that not many owner/operators are very thrilled with carrying about 2 dozen types of ATF, however. Do you think AAMCO or whereever else seriously has drums of every fluid out there?

For BITOG'ers, the OEM fluid is probably worth squabbling over. For middle america, Lubeguard seems to do the job just fine with low cost, minimal hassle, reduced inventory, and no come-backs to date.

Andy

in the 25 years I ahve been driving I ahve never used the services of a quick lube place. And have never had a oil related problem.

I just feel better doing it myself.

An employee brought his car to Firestone to get a oil change because he had a coupon.

A couple of days later he sees a pool of oil. his drain plug was gone. So he calls FS and they send a adjuster to look at it. Quick look and they cut him a check. He ask if its pretty common and he just shrugged his shoulders.

quote:

No auto maintenance allowed at my apartment complex. Paying them $11 makes my life easy.

I live in an apartment complex as well and moved from one partly because of the hassle they gave me when I worked on my vehicles but the maintenance guys were apparently allowed to (just not residents) so I kept doing it anyway until we finally moved. Where we live now appears to be more lenient regarding working on your vehicles.

I do my own, spring thru early fall. Winter time- at Monroe Muffler or Tire World. My inspection is due in December and a tire rotation interval seems to come around then too. So I tie in the oil change with one of those services.
Around here a "good" oil change includes a brand name semi-synthetic 5w-30. Cost $16-20.
Those quickie places charge a lot more.
I also add Auto-RX on my changes.

OK this is pretty much how I expected it, most do their own changes while a handful don't due to other circumstances. I would've been concerned if it was the other way around
cheers.gif
cheers to all and thanks for the replies.

I do my own and love it. Even when I was first married and lived in an apartment complex, I would wait until Sunday afternoon, go to the far end of the parking lot by the dumpsters and change my own. I've even changed oil in the parking lot in January in Nebraska.
I went to a Jiffy Lube one time. Life was treating me pretty good and I thought it was time to move from the "Do It Yourself" club to "Let Someone Else Do It" gathering. I sat there in my car feeling shame, like I was such a girly-man. I thought to myself, "is this where I want to be when ***** comes back?" I've never been back since.

Weather permitting, I always do it myself. It costs less, takes up less time and I do a better job.
cheers.gif

I used to do it myself in my dad's garage (has under-car canal), but now I live too far away to make it feasible.

When the car was under warranty (and under the "free" maintenance schedule), I let the dealer do the oil changes. I just brought my own synthetic oil, or else they'd use dino.

Right now I have a cheap company car, so I don't care about it. But even if I wanted to do my own oil changes, my current apartment complex has very strict rules against doing any kind of car repair and maintenance in the parking lots. I risk eviction if I get caught.

quattro - haha i had the same rules, so i did it at 2am with a flashlight... residents didnt care, they just dont want a mess... quick and clean, no one cares. now i take mine to walmart, did do it myself but dont have ramps.... father in laws durango needed oil changed 6 months ago, check engine light is on so i laugh at him... he says "it still runs so nothing is wrong" hahaha probably no oil on the dipstick.

I used to change my oil and do other maintenance myself until my back started getting too sore and my stomach started getting stuck on the bottom of the front bumper. Over the past 15 years I have used the following: 1. Pitt Pros (the local instant oil change place); 2. Lube Pros; 3. Jiffy Lube; 4. Valvoline Instant Oil Change (wrong viscosity once); 5. My local mechanic (he overfilled the crankcase twice); 6. Honda dealerships (only had a problem with the last change - I think they forgot to change the filter); 7. Firestone; 8. Tires Plus (wrong viscosity once); 9. Walmart. Sometimes I've brought my own oil and filter, other times I have not. I estimate that I've had between 150 and 200 oil changes done by someone other than myself over the past 15 years and I can count fewer than 10 minor problems. I maintain my cars religiously and I have never had an oil related failure. My cars tend to go to the scrap heap because of the accumulation of expensive, age related failures. Average age: 10 years at the time of death.
crushedcar.gif

One of the main reasons I change my own oil is that my Dad always changed his! We always worked on our own cars from oil changes on up.

quote:

One of the main reasons I change my own oil is that my Dad always changed his! We always worked on our own cars from oil changes on

I come from a family with no automotive knowledge whatsoever. My dad has never changed oil before. When I started about 5 years ago I had to have a co-worker show me how to do it out of fear I wouldn't do it right. Once I saw how easy it was I've done it myself ever since and graduated to a lot of other maintenance/repair tasks.

quote:

It's quite likely that I will get flamed for this but where I work we do use the various Lubeguard additives to make compatible transmission fluids mixed with DexIII-h. Please note that you can't 'make' every variation of trans fluid with the different Lubeguards. Some types are just not able to be made that way.

Well, Andy, I personally have had a perfectly functioning Mopar transmission start shuddering immediately after a Dexron based fluid change . . . and fail two weeks later. At the time, I didn't know shops actually did this sort of thing or I would have gone back and demanded the offending shop to fix it. I have seen friction and viscosity curves of Mopar fluid vs Lubegard added concoctions, and they are quite different . . . as is their ability to withstand the heat in Mopar transmissions. The high failure rate in Hyundai transmissions is largely from the same practice.

The base oil is different in different fluids and adding something to Dexron will not change its basic chemistry. If Lubegard says otherwise, then they are lying to sell their product. If I could sell you an additive that would make urine taste like beer, would you serve it to your friends?

Whether you know it or not, your shop is damaging transmissions and you are causing people financial harm . . . just to save yourself some inventory. Shame on you. You need to stop doing that. Please have the decency to treat people right.

I hope that you are at least disclosing to your customers that you are filling their transmissions with an unapproved fluid not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer that may void their warranty.

[ January 14, 2006, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: BigAl ]

82DMC12 said:
Clearly, the majority of America is NOT ready for extended drain intervals.
Sure they are, they've been doing it forever.
crushedcar.gif
lol.gif

I do my own, always have. I like to, plus I know it's done right, plus it's really a matter of what my time is worth. I can do it much faster than going to a shop and getting in line and I can put in the good stuff for what a shop charges for the cheap stuff.
What isn't worth my time is changing antifreeze. I can do it, but a shop can do it much faster so it's worth the $89.99.
With my new Sport Trac I got the first four oil changes free. Last time I took it to the dealer I saw they had 5w-20 on the work order and the 4.0 SOHC is one of the engines that 5w-20 is specifically NOT recommended for. That does not necessarily mean they put 5w-20 in it, just coded the work order that way. I didn't feel like going back and arguing about it, so I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and bought some 5w-30 Motorcraft. At least the filter was free. I didn't mind.

I do both, I change it myself on my truck and Jeep and my wifes car goes to a quick lube place. I can slide right under the truck and Jeep but my wife's car has about 5" (guessing) of clearence and she drives 130 miles a day, five days a week. I do 3000 mile OCI on all the vehicles so her oil gets changed about once every 5 weeks.

I've been doing my own for years. I like knowing it's done right. I don't like paying $25 for an oil change. Now, buying my own filter and oil and paying $11 (Wouldn't mind that). For now, it is easy to do, I have the time and place to do it and I take the used oil to a local John Deere where it goes in an oil heater. They even supply the 5 gallon buckets to put the oil in. I guess if I didn't have the place to do it, I would buy my own oil/filter and have someone else do it. It just seems so cheap to DIY when you can find good oil (Havoline) on sale for 99 cents.

Never had anyone other than myself do my oil changes. Don't trust quickie lubes (Seen and heard horror stories from the inside) and it's too **** expensive. At least with myself I can skip the bogus labor charges and pick a filter and oil that I like. Plus getting oil all over you is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back