Who changes filters between oil changes

I had been using a Fram Ultra oil filter with synthetic 5W30 every other oil change (4K mile OCI's) but by the time I hit 4K miles my oil is dark from soot (Hyundai 2.4L DI engine) so wondering if changing the oil filter every oil change is better if you have soot from a DI engine ?

I had been using a Fram Ultra oil filter with synthetic 5W30 every other oil change (4K mile OCI's) but by the time I hit 4K miles my oil is dark from soot (Hyundai 2.4L DI engine) so wondering if changing the oil filter every oil change is better if you have soot from a DI engine ?
Hey Chris, I think in your situation you're okay to go two oil changes with the Ultra. It has extra holding capacity so no worries for two 4k oci's.

Under warranty? Oil and filter need to be changed together. See your maintenance booklet.

Change it every time always. Holding capacity of the filter is meaningless if one doesn't know the amount of crud the engine produces.

Under warranty? Oil and filter need to be changed together. See your maintenance booklet.

Change it every time always. Holding capacity of the filter is meaningless if one doesn't know the amount of crud the engine produces.
I don't know if he'll reply but if the vehicle was still under warranty I imagine he probably wouldn't be asking this question. He would most likely follow the maintenance schedule. It's a '17 Sonata so...

I did this on my first 2 E46 BMWs. 15,525mi interval per the dash. I'd change the filter 7-7,500mi & top off the oil. I don't recall why I stopped doing it, just did. Followed the dash lights on my old E36 for changes, & go by mileage or an upcoming long drive on my GS400. Follow the dash on my gf's '19 Civic

Soot particles are much smaller than particle sizes most oil filters are capable of removing, so changing the filter just for that is not going to help.

I know some of you guys maintain pretty short OCI's so for them it might not really be applicable.

However i maintain around 13k miles/20.000km oci's and i am thinking about changing the fitler during oil change and in between the oil changes. I drive that in about 5 months.

I had it 2 times that a mahle filter ruptered a little so i was not so fond about finding that out and not knowing how long it had been sitting like this. I also had some pretty dirty filters because of soot that came lose in the engine.

Modern car engine oil filters are also not that large to save cost/room/engine compactness etc..

I am a wind turbine mechanic and there the filters are changed yearly, the oil however is almost never changed or per 10 years orso like hydraulic/gear oil etc... that is offcourse not compareble to motoroil.

At a couple euros a filter this cant really harm, the bmw filter is also an insert filter and at located at the top of the engine so its like 30 seconds of work.
I am wondering if more of you guys are doing this or if youre OCI's are shorter so its not really neccesary.
Do some of you also have experience with this on heavy machinery like truck/plane ships etc..?
I like to do the opposite and change oil between filter Changes.

Back in the day when oil filters were the size of a can of coke (or bigger), I was taught oil every 10,000km (6200 miles) and filter every second oil change. I believe Honda still do something like that, and some government agencies. For my motorcycles with small filters, they were changed at every oil change.

Then I started doing oil and filter together, the ”normal” way.

Recently I started doing, oil every 10,000km (6200 miles), and filter every 10,000 miles (16,000km). So the oil change and filter change is now offset. It also means that roughly mid oil change, you get to top up with some fresh stuff, only time I do it as my car doesn’t burn or consume any significant volume of oil normally.

It makes both changes quite quick, which helps with my family lifestyle.

BTW I just did the filter today. So quick, the wife didn’t even know.

I just don’t do extended oil changes anymore, been there done that, won’t attempt again.

But if I was doing...say, 15,000 mile intervals? Yeah I’d change the filter at 7,500 miles and maybe add a fresh quart of oil to replenish the add pack.

No reason to change it in the middle of an oil change as long as you use a premium filter. I use whatever is on sale or Supertech filters but I only go 7K max on either of my vehicles.
I have had a FILTECH tear two pleats wide open where they were glued at the endcap. Only noticed this when I did a C&P which I posted here. This is a 15$ Honda High performance filter.
I have changed filters mid OCI when I perceive I have excessive startup noise or operational racket. This has happened with NISSAN filters which have known defects where the ADBV inverts and becomes non-functional. Or their CHINA sourced filters which have obvious design/flow issues which have been documented, photographed and posted here. I lost a 2014 Versa Note engine due to this.
I leave them alone if there is no perceived issues, but will dig in if there are problems. Filters have been the most problematic thing on cars the past couple decades for me.
If you run a screened and caged synthetic media filter - like a FRAM ultra or equivalent I could assume this would allow you to avoid the media tearing problem in the Winter.

Soot particles are much smaller than particle sizes most oil filters are capable of removing, so changing the filter just for that is not going to help.
Has there been a paper on why GDI are causing fuel dilution? Given that the fuel is injected near the top of the compression stroke - and maybe in two shots for a stratified charge. I don't understand the mechanism for sump dilution over a PI fueler.
Does the gas wash on the cylinder walls in a PI engine help create a ring seal that is now missing on the GDI? It's got to be more than just injection pressure issue - the atomization must be better in GDI and the particle KE has to be less given the lower mass, so I don't think it's a "pressure wash past the rings" scenario.

Thoughts?

This is the amount of soot like material the filter contains after around 13k miles.

Its not great not terrible.
Dont mind the reddish piece. Its from a gasket that i replaced.
Thanks for the c&P

What vehicle and how many miles on it now? Original owner ?

What % of that filter would you say is "used up" % wise?

I remember a couple of 80's Civics that I had. The manual stated to change the filter every other oil change and that the oil change interval was 10000 km, so 20000 km filter changes. I have to say even on a university student budget I changed the filter every oil change.

Didn't Honda recommend changing the filter every "other" oil change? This is what I do now on my Fram Ultras. 8k OCI's.

Reactions: SR5
Yesterday i changed the oil with filter on my car and again there was some soot like material in the filter.
I also checked the VANOS/VVT filters but luckely those where perfectly clean so the oil filter is doing its job.

This car burns about a quart every 2200miles, i am not sure that because of the high oil consumption also means that a lot of combustion soot enters the oil past the pistonsrings? This does not seem possible to me, however with all my oil changes theres soot in the filter.

I have not ever had this with other cars where most of the time the filter came out like new and could indeed also be reused for 2nd oci. (although filters are so cheap i always replace them)

Because the filter is only like 8 euros i will probably change the filter again at 5000 miles.
As i said its located on top of the engine and is changeable within a minute.

Back