Who changes filters between oil changes

it's likely a weaker or worse supportede filter media then.

On another note, I don't like that soot you have in the filter, it shouldn't be clumped together like that

it's likely a weaker or worse supportede filter media then.

On another note, I don't like that soot you have in the filter, it shouldn't be clumped together like that
Yeah the car had a leaking pcv system when it was with the previous owner.
I have fixed this and since i switched to shell/penzoil it cleans out a lot of this. Especially the first 2 filters when i started with shell where really dirty.

Around 1977, one of my neighbors who was into doing his own maintenance on his vehicles had a pair of BMWs and started using Mobil 1 with it's 15,000 mile oil change interval. However, since he was used to changing his oil filter on nearly a monthly basis, he decided to keep changing the oil filter as he had been and adding fresh Mobil 1 to keep the oil level where it was supposed to be.

He kept this up for about 1 year before going back conventional oil. He told me it was because he was having to add an additional quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles due to oil consumption by the engine which according to the BMW dealership was normal for the engines in his BMWs. So he went back to an oil change interval based on the number of engine starts that some mechanic at a seminar he went to professed was the key to long engine life. He even had a clicker counter in each vehicle he owned to keep track of the number of engine starts.
What conventional oil carried the required approval for his engine?

I do not know. However, I know he used Sears 10w30 because he would buy 10 cases at a time when it went on sale.

What conventional oil carried the required approval for his engine?
For a BMW in 1977, did they even have special BMW approval back then?

ACEA didn’t even come into existence until 1991. Before that it was CCMC which came out in late ‘72, but BMW wasn’t part of it at the beginning. In 1977 it would have been API SD, with SE coming out in ‘79.

This was recently posted by Overkill, it must be from about the late 90’s. It shows both LL and regular oil grades, I suspect the 70’s would have been even simpler.

714FB0FA-1419-4451-AED7-84B1B3580903.png

Attachments

• B2964A17-0D1F-41BB-9FB2-D255BBFFF387.png
    B2964A17-0D1F-41BB-9FB2-D255BBFFF387.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 3
For a BMW in 1977, did they even have special BMW approval back then?

ACEA didn’t even come into existence until 1991. Before that it was CCMC which came out in late ‘72, but BMW wasn’t part of it at the beginning. In 1977 it would have been API SD, with SE coming out in ‘79.

This was recently posted by Overkill, it must be from about the late 90’s. It shows both LL and regular oil grades, I suspect the 70’s would have been even simpler.
No I was wrong about that, sorry I missed the whole "1977" part. I doubt BMW even sold Special Oils then.

My engines are clean and healthy with standard capacity oil sumps, so I don't currently change oil filters between oil services. The only time I would even consider this is if the engine was known to be dirty inside (neglected), or a sludger (bad design), or if the oil capacity is very large and the manual says it can go 20,000+ between services, but this is more for heavy trucks and the like. In fact, very soon I am planning to go 2 service intervals on 1 long-life premium oil filter.

I’ve given up on extended OCI.

I use a quality synthetic and an OEM filter for flexibility. The factory OCI is 5k and the synthetic gives me plenty of flexibility on either side of that to account for the “life happens” side of things. I never feel pressured to change the oil and can pick the most convenient time for ME. Life is busy.

For some newer GDI vehicles, even 5K isn't realistic. It's possible but not realistic... that is if you plan of keep the vehicle for long period of time.

Always change filter with oil and they are pretty cheap in the US. Its always good to check the filter medium for metal etc. It is the smaller particles you have to worry about for engine wear 5-10 microns. So on a re-used filter you might be reducing the efficiency at that size by a certain percentage each time. Most oil filters are only concerned with efficiency and capacity at 20-25+ microns. Cheap insurance oil and oil filter.

If the oil filter is screwed on at the bottom, all the oil drains out anyway :D

That has never been my experience. The only oil that comes out is the oil that's located in that specific area above the oil filter, it's never more than a quart (more like 1/2 that) The majority of the oil will always remain in the oil pan.

Seems to be quite pointless to change filter between oil changes, won`t do any harm but won`t gain you nothing either. What i started to do is super short OCI, only at 2500 km but i reuse the filter.

With my normal OCI with Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 E. Group 5 at about 10000 km (6200 Miles.) or once a year i changes the oil filter. This year it will be a abnormal short OCI but i changes the oil filter anyway to comfort my self. Service intervals on my 2018 Ford focus is every 30000km (18600 Miles.) 🤯 or ever second year or what comes first of them here in Norway but i changes the engine oil every 10000km (6200 Miles.) max.

Last edited:
That has never been my experience. The only oil that comes out is the oil that's located in that specific area above the oil filter, it's never more than a quart (more like 1/2 that) The majority of the oil will always remain in the oil pan.
Correct. When I dropped my pan on my car there was a good amount that came pouring out. Can't drain all of it unless you use a mitvac I guess but I'm not that picky.

As for filters, I change them each time I change the oil which is once per year. Cheap insurance.

I’ve given up on extended OCI.

I use a quality synthetic and an OEM filter for flexibility. The factory OCI is 5k and the synthetic gives me plenty of flexibility on either side of that to account for the “life happens” side of things. I never feel pressured to change the oil and can pick the most convenient time for ME. Life is busy.
I don't understand the flexibility part. How does an oem filter give you flexibility?

Back