Who are they talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the Castrol Crew site the other day and noticed this article. I chuckled and thought to myself, it sounds like they are talking directly to some of us around here...lol.
FTR, I neither endorse nor refute these claims, merely present them for discussion. I personally mix and switch oil brands/types at will with no worries at all....but who knows, my anecdote has no scientific evidence behind it, but then again neither does this claim from Castrol...Does it?

"If you read or post on automotive forums, you will see many discussions on whether creating your own oil blends is a good idea, and like most every other topic in history, opinions vary. And for many dedicated do-it-yourselfers who change their own oil, the next step might be to blend your own conventional and full synthetic oil as well. However like we’ve always said, a self-made blend will not always meet the industry standards claimed for both of the respective mixed products and just isn’t worth the risk to your engine.

While many smart, dedicated and capable do-it-yourselfers swear by blending their own oil, you cannot discount the hours and resources that go into the development of our proprietary product blend. This includes the specific balance of advanced additives and base oils to maximize performance. We go to great lengths and conduct tons of research to ensure that our synthetic blend motor oils are the best performing products you can find. Our products also include proprietary engine oil additives that work hard to minimize the wear that harmful deposits can cause — and that’s a key difference between Castrol blends and the kind of formula someone blending their own might create.

There is typically nothing wrong with a bit of improvisation, but the care of your car is one place where you just don’t want to make any compromises. You can’t rule out the possibility that negative synergies between the two oils may happen — and there can be long-term effects that may not present themselves immediately. Castrol GTX SynBlend and Castrol SYNTEC Blend provide our customers’ engines with the best protection against deposits and wear, even under the most severe driving conditions."

http://www.castrolcrew.com/Lab/?a=12

Gosh!
I dunno!
May Castrol save us from mixing a few odd quarts we have sitting around to fill the sump for a short OCI.
Thank Goodness Castrol has guided us to a more rightous path.
What might the long term consquences be?
I shudder to ponder them.
Amen to Castrol.
They aren't just marketers, they're guardian angels.
Praise be to Castrol, and ignore that silly little spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Finally, Bill & Co., I intend this as humor, and not to offend anyone. I hope everyone sees the humor in it.

Interesting timing on this, as having 10 quarts of QS GB on hand (bought very cheaply), and noticing a sale on QS QHP quart bottles, I'd been kicking around the idea of picking up a couple for a custom blend for my spring OC (was envisioning 75% QS GB to 25% QS HP). I'd done some preliminary VOA comparisons on them, and noting that QS GB contained a healthy dose of boron, while QHP contained only a small amount of boron but a much beefier calcium package, thought they might make a nice blend.

I'm not going to go out of my way to pick up two quarts of sale oil, but comparing them has made for a nice distraction in the event my travels during the sale this week wind up taking me to that store anyway.

As my car is hard on oil, so this would only be for a moderate 5k OCI. The addition of QHP by blending is mainly intended to take advantage of its 30% higher calcium package for maintaining engine cleanliness throughout the OCI. With both oils bought on sale, and the custom blend being typical compared to a prepackaged blend (but much cheaper), the extra cost of the QHP at 25% would be low and the total price of the package still very inexpensive.

Edit: The sale is on for a full week, so this is only in the idea stage as I compare numbers before committing. Both are good oils as they stand on their merits; yet, as my sig is proof of, I do like to tinker and experiment. This experiment would likely be sent in for a UOA afterward, as I'd like to check wear numbers, for fuel dilution and any coolant leakage, regardless - finding out how the blend fared would be gravy.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Gosh!
I dunno!
May Castrol save us from mixing a few odd quarts we have sitting around to fill the sump for a short OCI.
Amen to Castrol.
Finally, Bill & Co., I intend this as humor, and not to offend anyone. I hope everyone sees the humor in it.

Have you seen the light brother?

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Gosh!
I dunno!
Amen to Castrol.

cheers3.gif

I have Syntec, used a lot of GTX in the past, and whenever either (or GC) goes on rollback they are always potential buys for me. The gulf spill is a political issue and an instance where I separate my political views from my buying decisions.

When I sent out requests for OC change stickers to Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil (expecting at best a response from one of them), Castrol was the first to respond by e-mail and sent 7 stickers.

Mobil wasn't very far behind (I called them instead of e-mailing) and they sent out 20.

That is enough stickers to last several years, but it was partly motivated to see who would deliver on that type of customer service. Little goodwill gestures like that cost the company peanuts but count for a lot to me, particularly when I pay the extra to buy their higher line of products (Mobil 1 filters, and lately Syntec instead of GTX).

Between a first of its kind Mobil service station opening down the street (making it a potential OTC source for oil or filters), and a recent price drop at WM that has Mobil 1 competitively priced for the first time here, I will likely pick some up at some point for a future OC (which will be my first experience with Mobil 1 oil).

-Spyder

Yes!
I was lost, but now I'm found.
Never again shall I confuse the dark with the light.

Yes!

I never confuse or mix the dark with the light, beer that is.
cheers3.gif

Spyder,

My intentions here are pure....just offering an industry comment for discussion. I honestly have no ill will towards Castrol at all. You will find my shelf stocked full with Edge and GC at the moment. Along with Valvoline, Mobil and Pennzoil products. Unlike car manufacturers I play no favorite with motor oil supplier...honest...here's a "fairly" recent pic of my oil shelf.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1857813#Post1857813

Yes!

Or the Ester with the PAO....
48.gif

Johnny,
Having found the true path, my most recent oil change involved PP in the '97 Accord.
Next will be M1 AFE in the '99 Accord, followed by Peak 5W-30 in the van, and M1 15W-50 in the BMW.
I think even the Sube will get QTP 10W-30 on its next change.
I closely follow now the path of light, and forsake the darkness.

The additive packages have the same elements, but the different add packages have different amounts so blending can't be all that bad. Otherwise all the oils would have the exact amount of adds in each respective oil.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Gosh!
I dunno!
Amen to Castrol.

cheers3.gif

I have Syntec, used a lot of GTX in the past, and whenever either (or GC) goes on rollback they are always potential buys for me. The gulf spill is a political issue and an instance where I separate my political views from my buying decisions.

When I sent out requests for OC change stickers to Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Mobil (expecting at best a response from one of them), Castrol was the first to respond by e-mail and sent 7 stickers.

Mobil wasn't very far behind (I called them instead of e-mailing) and they sent out 20.

That is enough stickers to last several years, but it was partly motivated to see who would deliver on that type of customer service. Little goodwill gestures like that cost the company peanuts but count for a lot to me, particularly when I pay the extra to buy their higher line of products (Mobil 1 filters, and lately Syntec instead of GTX).

Between a first of its kind Mobil service station opening down the street (making it a potential OTC source for oil or filters), and a recent price drop at WM that has Mobil 1 competitively priced for the first time here, I will likely pick some up at some point for a future OC (which will be my first experience with Mobil 1 oil).

-Spyder

Yo Spyder, how is an oil spill a political issue. The Gov't didn't spill the oil? It didn't help much to regulate but the other oil Co's. were pretty good when it came to safety. I think BP had over 700 safety violations last year, XOM had 1. Castrol can take this "ad" and shove it and they can shove their products too. I wouldn't put 'em in my car for free.

Spyder,

My intentions here are pure....just offering an industry comment for discussion. I honestly have no ill will towards Castrol at all. You will find my shelf stocked full with Edge and GC at the moment. Along with Valvoline, Mobil and Pennzoil products. Unlike car manufacturers I play no favorite with motor oil supplier...honest...here's a "fairly" recent pic of my oil shelf.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1857813#Post1857813

Very nice stash! - much more variety than mine, though my 20 quart current supply is much smaller!

At the moment mine is composed of PP, QS GB, and Syntec. Like you I have no favourites, I buy based on relative price for the product versus the value I place on it having compared the specs to different benchmark oils.

My main limitation in selection is price, in that there's a ceiling for what I'll pay for a dino or a synthetic, and regardless of how good the product is, if it retails above that ceiling than its priced itself out of consideration. Redline is in this category, as local prices have it at close to 3x what I get PP for. Mobil 1 used to also be in this category too, but with the current reduction in local prices, they are now under my price ceiling and a viable option - depending on what the competition is selling for that day.

I simply aim to keep the oil shelf stocked with good oils (from many brands, past, present, and future) and use my surplus to provide a cushion so that I can be choosy about prices and take advantage of the best sales.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Gosh!
I dunno!
Amen to Castrol.

cheers3.gif

-Spyder

Yo Spyder, how is an oil spill a political issue. The Gov't didn't spill the oil? It didn't help much to regulate but the other oil Co's. were pretty good when it came to safety. I think BP had over 700 safety violations last year, XOM had 1. Castrol can take this "ad" and shove it and they can shove their products too. I wouldn't put 'em in my car for free.

Its injecting politics into one's choices. If purely economic factors were used, then choice would be governed solely on the merits of the product versus its price, and corporate policy, history, etc would have no implication as far as purchasing goes. When one's decision to boycott a company's product is due to something like the gulf spill, then their choice is political and not made on economic factors.

Politics != government. This is a common misconception. Example: an individual can be a feminist, but not only not be in government, they may not even vote or be active in the movement.

There is nothing wrong with an individual making purchasing decisions based on politics rather than economics; or even combining the two (a person may buy a hybrid because they consider themselves an environmentalist and also because they want to save money at the pump and base the decision on both; another person may make the decision solely on perceived economic benefits and environmental factors may play no role at all).

Nor did my mean to imply that the poster was injecting politics into the discussion. I simply acknowledged his choice for what it is (and I can still respect another's choices even if my own, in that particular regard, is purely economic and monetary value based), and stated that in that regard, politics plays no role in my own choice.

Hope that clears everything up.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The additive packages have the same elements, but the different add packages have different amounts so blending can't be all that bad. Otherwise all the oils would have the exact amount of adds in each respective oil.

This is how I see things, within limits.
It is also why I have no problem using Lubro Moly additive.

In your typical generic appliance over the typical drain spans that most do, who cares? Get into "demand land" and mixology might not be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back