Whitney Houston, One Moment In Time

I, too, admire her vocal abilities.

She took quite a beating here at BITOG in a thread discussing her death. The "choice" crowd had very strong opinions.

She took quite a beating here at BITOG in a thread discussing her death. The "choice" crowd had very strong opinions.

I don't recall the thread. No reason to beat up on her. Her story was tragic. I'm not one for dramatic empathy but Whitney got mine. I'd fathom we will never get the whole story but what we do know is something to learn from.

In my opinion... Her singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl in 1991 before the Giants and Bills game was even better than this.

Best ever singing of the anthem in my opinion.

Pfft, in about 10 years people will be going gaga over the early 00's performances of Christina Aguilera and Brittney Spears.

As things change, they ultimately stay the same.

Like so many of the great performers, from music to athletics to intellectual brilliance, most are plagued with mental illness. Whitney was bipolar. How else can a person perform like this? Add the drugs in the music business, and she was doomed. The thing about Whitney was that she had an unusual innocence that made you wish someone had protected her.

Look at 4:50 to the end. A "normal" person cannot do that. Forget the voice, she is in another mind space. The song ends right at 5:38. It takes her 12 seconds to regain a normal consciousness. Imagine what her brain waves would look like if they did an EEG while she performed this. It wouldn't be "normal".

Regardless, I think the lyrics are uplifting, especially now. Listen to it and you will feel better.

Merry Christmas to all of you,

Scott

Hello:

Was kicking back last night surfing live music performances on the television with Bose surround sound on. Whitney Houston singing One Moment In Time at the 1989 Grammys. Her performance is simply amazing. Very inspirational lyrics too.

Scott

She had tremendous chops. She could sell a song. In this case she showed restraint to good effect.

The temptation for a singer with a big voice and great range is to torture the song to show off. She held back (compared to what she could do) to very good effect.

She had tremendous chops. She could sell a song. In this case she showed restraint to good effect.

The temptation for a singer with a big voice and great range is to torture the song to show off. She held back (compared to what she could do) to very good effect.
One of the YT commenters said:

"The perfect combination of power, control, emotion, soul, vocal acrobatics, vibrato, high notes, low notes, pronunciation, tone, etc. Many singers try to oversing and sound like they are screaming and lose the meaning of the song, but Whitney is perfection."

Yep,

Scott

After Christmas shopping today, all I can say is that any goodness that came from Whitney Houston is eclipsed by the evil of foisting that "All I want for Christmas is You" song on us. May God have mercy on her soul, LOL.

I believe that you are referring to Mariah Carey, not Whitney Houston.

In the fall of 2012, I was at a restaurant at the base of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. The fountain there (like the one it is modeled after in Las Vegas) does a water and light show choreographed to music.

Hearing the late Whitney Houston's voice singing "I Will Always Love You" echo across the water in time with the fountain was more than a little surreal. Given all of the advancements with depression, her untimely death was nothing short of tragic.

#1 Whitney Houston
#2 Mariah Carey @ her peak.

There may not be a new #1 for many years ... It's like Einstein or Tesla.

Hello:

Was kicking back last night surfing live music performances on the television with Bose surround sound on. Whitney Houston singing One Moment In Time at the 1989 Grammys. Her performance is simply amazing. Very inspirational lyrics too.

Scott

absolutely love whitney.. her voice will always make my hairs stand and give me chills.. she gives her songs real emotion

Last edited:

We all make our choices in life and by definition accepting the inherent risks of those choices. Some choices good, some not as much. But we are all allowed to make them which is the beauty of life. Unfortunately a lot of judgmental folks like to make critical comments on choices & mistakes that others make.

We all make our choices in life and by definition accepting the inherent risks of those choices. Some choices good, some not as much. But we are all allowed to make them which is the beauty of life. Unfortunately a lot of judgmental folks like to make critical comments on choices & mistakes that others make.
Not necessarily. Sometimes the choice is frying pan or fire.

Back