Whip City Wrencher video - Fram Extra Guard nitrile ADBV's reminder

I was in Home Depot couple weeks ago and thought of picking up one of their extra guards for 4.44 but all their filters were nitrile. The other day I was in a different HD and theirs were silicone but in the meantime I bought one at Walmart for 3.88 withe silicone cause they price matched their own Walmart website.

Don't know what's going on but frame probably cheapening the extraguard

Shortage of silicone in industry and we can't get the silicone parts/gaskets/seals/components/fluids like before covid. I'd wager that the oil filter companies will use whatever they can to keep the product moving along the assembly line. Also, I'd wager that some stores have newer/older inventory than others.

True, my issue is with them being advertised as the better for extended OCI’s silicone. Maybe a sticker on the box for the nitrile ones 🤔.
Big deal. If we didn't hang around here we wouldn't know the difference. It is a 10k filter and the nitrile ADBV will work for 10k. I think they are doing the best they can to keep things going. They moved production to the US, too, so I'm going to cut them some slack.

Not sure if this is still an on-going thing based on some people report seeing current newer stock back to silicone. People would have to go scan the stock on the shelves and look at date codes to verify if filters made in the last 30 days have a nitrile ADBV or not.

My question was "How are you determining that nitrile is used?" You can't tell solely by the color. When I ran elastomer compatibility with oils and greases, the nitrile and silicone were usually both black. Either the supplier needs to verify what the elastomer is or you need to run tests to make the determination. Orange doesn't mean silicone and black doesn't mean nitrile.

My question was "How are you determining that nitrile is used?" You can't tell solely by the color. When I ran elastomer compatibility with oils and greases, the nitrile and silicone were usually both black. Either the supplier needs to verify what the elastomer is or you need to run tests to make the determination. Orange doesn't mean silicone and black doesn't mean nitrile.
Go burn some ADBVs yourself and you'll find out. Guess you missed the threads where the claimed black "silicone" ADBV in the Fram filters burned just like nitrile. Silicone and nitrile rubber don't burn the same ... not even close.

I know this is old news, I'm posting this as a reminder since Fram still advertises Extra Guards as having silicone ADBV's.

Note the date codes on those two filters. The one with the silicone ADBV was made about 2 months after the one with the black ADBV. Like mentioned before, need to look at the most recent build filters to see if they are really back to silicone or not (which seems to be the case).

Shortage of silicone in industry and we can't get the silicone parts/gaskets/seals/components/fluids like before covid. .....
Yep, a reasonable and acceptable explanation. Unfortunately, not the one that came from FB/Fram reps. Instead, it was old vs new stock, and later the "black silicone" explanation. The latter now proven inaccurate multiple ways. Nitrile showing up on the orange can one thing, then showing up on the 15k rated TG, another.

Back