Whip City Wrencher video - Fram Extra Guard nitrile ADBV's reminder

Its good to see the later production dates have silicone. I'd bet that means the silicone is here to stay. The one I used with nitrile also had date codes from early this year.

About a month there were many XG at Walmart with nitrile . A little over week ago went back and picked up a PH9688 with silicone . Checked a few others and they had silicone .

About a month there were many XG at Walmart with nitrile . A little over week ago went back and picked up a PH9688 with silicone . Checked a few others and they had silicone .
XG or EG? Are you saying you saw Ultras with black ADBV?

XG is Ultra
EG is Extra Guard

Go burn some ADBVs yourself and you'll find out. Guess you missed the threads where the claimed black "silicone" ADBV in the Fram filters burned just like nitrile. Silicone and nitrile rubber don't burn the same ... not even close.
I only asked how the determination was made. However, I did this type work for many years. When looking to identify elastomers I would burn them to observe the color and nature of the smoke/vapors. I would also place a small piece in a test tube which I drew into a retort. I then heated the bulb of the retort to produce vapors from the elastomer sample. These were directed out through the tip and onto litmus paper to measure vapor pH. This type of approach are somewhat subject and require interpretation. There are more analytical methods.

Yes, there are more analytical (and complicated) methods, but simply burning the rubber is a good enough way to determine if an ADBV is silicone or nitrile - which anyone here can do with simply a match or lighter.

Back