Which type of oil do you use on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am working my way through the cases of Milesyn from Amazon and jugs of Shell from Home Depot. Both priced right.

Both meet the Ford spec for the vehicles used in.

After a couple decades:

QSUD or Magnatec "synthetic" for 30 grade apps, then Valvoline Synpower in 0w20 (don't like 5w30 synpower)

The wife's been getting Subaru labeled Idemitsu on her dealer $139 (!) ripoff oil change (!).
Darn noisy engine on this oil. Engine was dead quiet BEFORE OCI #1 with the Idemitsu.
I might do next one for her with 0w20 Valvoline "Syn" if my back gets better or bring it to the local garage - not to any quick oil change dump full of idiots.

You guys still think Mobil 1 is synthetic. sad. Brain washed by the MAN.

I use whatever the car specs. Whatever is on sale that will cover that, usually some brand name conventional.

Whenever doing maintenance for friends/family, I always use something that will not void the warranty They all have much newer cars than me.

It's vehicle dependent. On my Jeep and girlfriend's car I'll run a HM blend most often, sometimes full synthetic high mileage, but it seems to make zero difference. In my Audi I have always used a vw 502 spec oil, so name brand syn. This time I went with Magnatec blend 5w30 though, because I just have so much of it and I can't imagine it hurting anything.

Cars: Brand name synthetic- BMW, Pennzoil Ultra
OPE: Brand name synthetic- Pennzoil Ultra

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil SSO.

Me too - Amsoil since 2004.

1993-ish - 2004 was VWB.

May go Schaeffer once the stock of Amsoil has been used and UOAs complete.

Have never used a synthetic, I always use NAPA or TSC Travelers conventional oil and have had more than a few vehicles go well to the 300K plus mile point on just straight up conventional oil. Bought 2 cases of TSC 5w20 last spring so will be using TSC for about the next 4 years until its gone. If I were to use a name brand conventional I would probably select Valvoline as that is what my Dad (now long ago deceased) used in the 60's and 70's when I was a young pup. The cans with card board sides and you had to have a pour spout jabber that more often than not did not seal well and oil always leaked all over the engine.

Red Line because I do 10K OCI's, M1 oil filter every other oil change, with desert driving and trailer pulling. I get excellent UOA's.

I get a good price on all Red Line products because I purchase it in bulk from a distributor. I pay about 10% more for 0w-30 Red Line engine oil than the cost of Mobil 1 at Costco and I don't pay the recycle/disposal fee.

I also pay a bit more for Mobil 1 oil filters but only change them every other oil change. That makes the price cheaper than most other filters done every oil change.

Some people tell me I'm stupid for using a boutique racing oil, that I pay too much and get nothing in return. I've been told my engine will be done in less than 100K miles and that I should change my oil every 3K miles. The results from UOA's show that this scheme works, really well.
LINK

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Red Line because I do 10K OCI's, M1 oil filter every other oil change, with desert driving and trailer pulling. I get excellent UOA's.

I get a good price on all Red Line products because I purchase it in bulk from a distributor. I pay about 10% more for 0w-30 Red Line engine oil than the cost of Mobil 1 at Costco and I don't pay the recycle/disposal fee.

I also pay a bit more for Mobil 1 oil filters but only change them every other oil change. That makes the price cheaper than most other filters done every oil change.

Some people tell me I'm stupid for using a boutique racing oil, that I pay too much and get nothing in return. I've been told my engine will be done in less than 100K miles and that I should change my oil every 3K miles. The results from UOA's show that this scheme works, really well.
LINK

thumbsup2.gif

I should put Redline on my list of oils to test. 1ppm in 10k miles....

Anything and everything from my mechanics shop bulk conventional 5W30 from a drum, to individual quarts and five quart jugs of brand name Synthetic to exotic Syns.

Brand name synthetic....bought only on sale at $2.65/qt or less after discounts/rebates. It ends up being cheaper than the same brand name's top conventional.

EVERYONE (100%) should be using oil that meets (or exceeds) mfg specs. That doesn't tell us anything.

Originally Posted By: K23Turbo
Anything and everything from my mechanics shop bulk conventional 5W30 from a drum, to individual quarts and five quart jugs of brand name Synthetic to exotic Syns.

Same here (minus the bulk stuff), depending on the car and the situation.

On my last car, I ran expensive boutique synthetics, first because I had easy access to them (Motul), and later because I had an identifiable problem (fuel dilution) that I thought a specific boutique oil (RLI) could help with. Then, when there was evidence that the head gasket was failing, I switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 because that was the cheapest oil with the correct approval.

Right now, I'm using a big-name conventional because my car is still in warranty and that's the best way to avoid potential headaches if something goes wrong. However, I am using what I think is the best available option based on the meager data out there. And as luck would have it, it's also one of the cheaper options. After the warranty is up, I might switch to a super-niche synthetic if I can find one that has a good chance of being better in the long run, or I might just stick with this oil type and run really short OCIs.

In every case, one or two differences in the context might point to a completely different choice.

That's why I'm not sure how meaningful this thread is. There are so many possible factors in oil choice, a simple tally of what people are using (without any specifics) is uninformative at best and potentially misleading at worst.

Mobil I since about 1978. I believe Mobil I only came in 5E-20 when first sold in the US. I first learned about synthetic oil in an article in Popular Mechanics around 1976.

Any brand name 5w30 synthetic that is on sale for the 2.0T Escape.
Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend or Pennzoil Gold 5w30 for the NA Optima.

I’m a new member so, thanks for admitting me.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I’m a new member so, thanks for admitting me.

You sir are quite welcome.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back