Which tool needed to remove bad pulley on Pentastar Ram 3.6?

Here looking at my friend’s Ram (the 2019 with the noisy pulley). What kind of tool do I need to remove this pulley? I don’t have any sockets/attachments that even resemble this.
F03F4D33-D076-41AC-8D01-0ADEA7A04943.jpeg
28314225-FEBF-47DB-B5D8-4EB285A4C0A2.jpeg
24C5DD83-0246-4BFB-94F9-8492C7925610.jpeg

Likely a T40 or T45. Usually you would buy a set of bits so you can try different sizes.

Pull on the tensioner and slip the belt off of one of the pulleys so there is no tension before loosening the bolt.

We went and got the Torx socket at Autozone. T45.

Now the next dilemma is, I cannot find the spot to release the tension on the belt (it’s the thicker serpentine belt). I found the tension release for the smaller skinnier belt, but I can’t find it on the thicker belt that goes around the pulley we’re replacing.

Anyone know where to find it? I’ve searched all over the Internet and all I can find is the process for the Hemi and not the 3.6 V6 that his truck has.

looks like a torx plus?

somewhere on the tensioner arm is usually a spot to put a breaker bar? but i dont know specifically to the pentastar

edit:
2:26 on this video

Found it! It’s that tiny square in the middle of the picture. Accessible from the bottom. Takes a ratchet needing a 3/8 extension, because the ratchet head won’t fit between the other pulleys.
86AC0073-9C1D-447B-9EA6-3592EB1BC3AC.jpeg

Using a suitable tool, rotate the Motor Generator Unit (MGU) mechanical belt tensioner (2) until it contacts its stop and insert a pin in the hole (3) to lock the mechanical belt tensioner.
pyU6JPD.png

*Remove the lower bolts (1) and loosen the upper bolt (2) to allow the belt tensioner bracket stop (3) to contact the idler pulley.
*Rotate the hydraulic tensioner counter clockwise and remove the MGU serpentine belt (1) from the remaining pulleys and then slowly release the belt tensioner.
*Remove the MGU serpentine belt from the MGU unit and from the vehicle.
zPyp580.png

Yeah I don't have the greatest eye but the profiles of the star look softer and thus I'm guessing TP??

I know OP said T45 but just because Torx worked doesn't mean it's correct. Standard Torx will pretty much always work in Plus......until it doesn't

Yeah I don't have the greatest eye but the profiles of the star look softer and thus I'm guessing TP??

I know OP said T45 but just because Torx worked doesn't mean it's correct. Standard Torx will pretty much always work in Plus......until it doesn't
They still won’t get us external torx sockets for the suspension work we’re doing on these dag on new ram promasters. So far, hammering on a tight fitting 6 point socket has sufficed without ruining the fasteners, but our fleet is only 4 years old. It’s not going to cut it much longer.

Looks like Torx Plus to me, too. Bought a set of Torx plus to avoid getting caught when helping out a friend.

Already had a variety of e-torx sockets and wrenches along with torx socket bits for working on MB. As fasteners change, so does my tool collection…

The cheap bits that just say "star" are not made to any Torx specification. The cheap ones that say "torx" may be using the name without meeting the specification.

I didn't think that Torx vs Torx Plus was an issue except in high performance fasteners that are tightened to the extra torque that Plus allows.

Well, we tried for hours attempting to get the bad part off and we were unable to get enough access to it to get it off. That engine bay is pretty tight.

Do all the hoses and everything that’s between the grill and the engine need to come off to gain good access? Since the vehicle doesn’t belong to me, I just wasn’t comfortable removing a bunch of stuff to try to gain good access to the belt and pulleys.

I followed Trav’s diagram and instructions, and I can definitely decipher how the process unfolds, but I just can’t reach all of the necessary items. The space is just too tight for me.

Back