2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD ball joint replacement

I have a friend that tells me his 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 needs new ball joints. I'm planning on helping him, but I haven't looked at it yet. Is it wiser to replace control arms w/ ball joints preinstalled in the application or just the ball joints? Any special tools required, or anything that might make this job particularly difficult?

I worked on my nephew’s 2008 last fall, and I had to replace his ball joints as well. Except it became a full on front end job.

Taking on the control arms on one that vintage is going to be an epic battle. I got his out and replaced but only after cutting away the bolts that seized in the bushings. My local dealer had them in stock for their exorbitant prices but I needed them and hardware parts will not work as they are eccentric bolts for alignment.

If the control arms pivot freely and aren’t cracked and worn, let it ride. If they are in need of replacement, be prepared with new hardware along with the control arms. And have a big cut off wheel on your angle grinder.

Back